AirPods

Discussion in 'Apple Accessories & Peripherals' started by Dekra, Sep 8, 2016.

1. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Airpods are too expensive. Period.

Hence, we expect more from them, like staying a bit longer than a year or two before it conks out.

But they don’t. And that’s why they suck.

TOBACCO likes this.
  2. Don Pao

Don Pao Well-Known Member

GelOBrrz likes this.
  3. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

You use it more often, you replace it earlier. I don't think it only applies to AirPods. Battery tech is just that behind compared to tech advancements we have.

The AirPods is more than the sum of its parts, tbh.

Just an unsolicited tip: If you can't purchase it twice, it means you can't afford it <- I live by this rule.

potpot2 and GelOBrrz like this.
  4. jologs

jologs Active Member

I've had my 1st gen Airpods for a couple of years now and I still get pretty good battery life out of them. I just make sure that I top up the charge often by keeping them in the charging case when not in use and never let them drain empty as much as possible. That's what kills the batteries prematurely.

I do the same with my 1st gen Jaybird bluebuds x and it still has a decent amount of battery life left after 5 years.

5. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

I agree. For the price, they should last for more than 2 years. I don't subscribe to the argument that if you can't afford to pay 2 of a certain thing, then you can't afford it. What?!

For a product made by Apple – and if you've been following Apple long enough – I expect more from Airpods. Especially this current/updated version.

I get a lot of phone calls from Airpods-wearing clients and they sound crappy: background noise all the time. I always tell them, "You're on Airpods, right? Yeah... put me on handset mode."

They're great for streaming audio and web calls and videos. The intuitiveness of just putting it on and then it works, that's the main draw for me. I got the version 1 since I took an early-adopter attitude towards it. So i expected the flaws. But this updated version is not a lot better than the first.

6. loko__loko

loko__loko Well-Known Member

i find airpods 2 better than some the brands im using... voice sounds clearer with less ambient noise.

7. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

my battery is almost dead. 1 hour and a half. then low batt already :(

shaft likes this.
  8. shaft

shaft Well-Known Member

Same with mine, after an hour its dead. Got the Sabbat E12 as an option and its pretty nice..But these are in-ear blocked enclosed. i prefer hearing the environment.

9. hitme64

I see joggers and walkers using AirPods that are essentially not sweat-proof, or in the rain, water-proofed. I can see they’ll be having issues later on after their exercises.

I’ve had two AirPods conked out on me, one inexplicably had this distinct murmur on the left, while the other simply lost power after an hour or so after use. I had used them for brisk walking a number of times before their issues came out. I don’t like to see an expensive product just go to waste like that so I’ll be sending them back to Apple on my trip back to the US.

10. loko__loko

received my sabbat e12 last friday, tested on saturday night on youtube.. lip and sound not really synced.... dropped on floor on monday am... at monday night, dropped 1 again.. and cant find it until now... im left w/ left ear bud.

11. loko__loko

i agree... spending more than 8k than unusable in less than a yr...... btw, can we easily claim warranty if ever, locally?

12. hitme64

Tried to, but denied by renowned Apple reseller here because same were purchased in the US and Singapore. Didn’t bother to contest it; just confirmed what a bunch of a**holes they were.

13. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

Walking might be fine but I can't imagine jogging with my Airpods. I have big ear holes (LOL) and so a little bit of sweat or oil and my Airpods will definitely fall. Lucky for me I haven't seen any signs of degradation yet with my Airpods that will turn one year old this coming October. But then again, I just use it for conference calls, video chats, music, and podcasts - not for any form of exercise. So I guess you're right since these things aren't sweat or splash-proof, that could contribute to the early demise if they are being used for exercise.

hitme64 likes this.
  14. jmkerr12

jmkerr12 Member

My problem with my first gen Airpods after 18 months of use:
    - battery life degraded to 90 minutes of music streaming @ 70-80% volume
    - right mic is busted
    - right ear piece’s batt get’s low faster @ 60 mins of music streaming

jhonas015 and hitme64 like this.
  15. pochiman

pochiman PhilMUG Addict Member

Where'd you get this proverb from? First time I've heard of it; I'm not really sure whether I agree with it or don't. Very situation dependent I guess; you did get my/our attention with that alright. Like, shouldn't I purchase a house if I could only afford to pay for it once? Maybe I just wasn't getting the entire of gist of this wise tidbit.

Back on topic: I'm never getting AirPods till they get rid of the candy cane even if they were 50% off. It would be awesome if they could perhaps come close in design to the Jabra Elite Active 65t. As it stands, it seems the WF-1000XM3 is the one to beat at the moment.

hitme64 likes this.
  16. hitme64

Not to denigrate the AirPods it being a terrific piece of art and tech pulled together to become a standard for all others to live by, but essentially, it lacks the punch of a Bose or Sennheiser, the tweets of a B&O, the design of a Jabra or Master & Dynamics, and the coolness factor of a Sony.

It’s great to have one nearby when you pull out your iPhone and go full Apple but is actually ridiculous having a candy cane dropping from your ear when other earpieces come clean, unobtrusive, and fit as a plug.

17. rdy0329

It means live within your means. You if you can't purchase a condo worth 20M twice, then get a 10M one. But this is more applicable to items that depreciate over time (like cars, and AirPods). Wealth building is different from your run-of-the-mill sense of entitlement when it comes to consumer goods spending.

GelOBrrz, zagu and antski like this.
  18. philkeely

philkeely Active Member

Is it advisable to purchase an airpods 2 now? My first gen's left piece lasts for about 30 mins now and I am so frustrated. Do you think they'll be releasing something new this Sept?

19. shaft

shaft Well-Known Member

i'd rather get the clone airpods w/the identical specs including the W11 chip. At a fraction of the cost comparatively, personally this would be my next buy for airpods replacement given the disappointing battery failure of my original airpods 1. Barely a year, right ear dies less than an hour of use.

20. rdy0329

I say go for it, new tech comes with its own drawbacks we are free from wires but enslaved by the fickle nature of AirPod’s 93-mwh battery.

If size isn’t a problem, the Power Beats Pro might be a better “practical” choice for people who wants longer battery life and slower degradation. If it’s rated for 9H bnew, you might be able to still get 4-5hrs of continuous usage at 2 years and 1hr at year 4. Doubling the projected longevity.

But:
    1. It’s 50% more expensive.
    2. The carrying case is not pocket-friendly.
    3. No wireless charging.
    4. Big footprint on ears.

Don’t worry, tech gets better, but always keep in mind that it’s also those little compromise here and there that makes a product what it is. I can’t imagine going back to wired headphones if given a choice. Now ask yourself, is it worth 9k every 2-3 years?

I’m pretty sure good wired earphones don’t come by cheap and they’re just as prone to failure/loss/theft as the AirPods are.

AirPods trade-in program would be nice by gen 3, being able to properly recycle them while offering loyal customers a way to minimise the burden of buying a new pair.

jologs likes this.