AirPods

Discussion in 'Apple Accessories & Peripherals' started by Dekra, Sep 8, 2016.

1. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Go for the Jabra Elite 65T. Way way better sound quality than the Airpods.

2. jologs

jologs Active Member

I already have the Gen1 AirPods, and they're still working well for me so no need to upgrade to the AirPods 2.

I'm just waiting to get my hands on the Powerbeats Pro to replace my aging Jaybird Bluebuds X which can now only hold a charge of up to 40mins.

#882 jologs, May 6, 2019
    Last edited: May 6, 2019
  3. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

Latest airpods now officially available in ph :)

4. shootertwist

Update: just got mine at powermac, still eyeing that powerbeats pro for running but these airpods with wireless charging will do for now since i no longer have the first gen

rdy0329 likes this.
  5. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Surprised it took this long to launch here. They must be feeling the demand crunch in developed countries where I see Apple employees carrying a satchel full of it and selling it like candies.

6. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

Interesting read: AirPods Are a Tragedy

I am guilty in a way. I don't have AirPods but I am on my 2nd set of Bluetooth in-ears. Though at least, the first one lasted over 3 years.

7. justinferreros

Thank you for the heads up, rushed to my nearest power mac to buy the 2nd gen AirPods. Hehe.

Have you guys tried the wireless charging? It's really slow, based on my experience. Tried charging the case with 76 percent on it, after 2 hours it only charged to 87 percent. By the way my wireless charger is Belkin Boost Up 10W.

8. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Thanks Apple but them Airpods still fall off my ears. No matter how much I put them in they just come off like forgotten earwax. Really.

Not even a rubber stopper or expander?

9. shootertwist

^yeah its slow, but i think that's bec its also charging your earphones while on the case, some sort of pass through charging, though i cant be sure but someone here has posted that it is indeed slow... its still cool though haha, and it works on the s10 reverse charging, hopefully the next iphone also get that feature, its really nifty for quick top ups

justinferreros likes this.
  10. shootertwist

Here is my new airpods with mi's new airdots which just arrived too hehe... speaking of the airdots, got curious and got one for comparison since its highly regarded as a bang for the buck for true wireless. And this assessment holds true, bass is decent and clarity is above average, really a steal at just $25. Its a beater that you wouldnt worry about losing it hehe, its not really better than the airpods as some reviews claim to be but its close enough and doesnt sound muffled at this price range.

Here are my assessment of the true wireless buds i have, my point of reference will be the Jabra 65t active since its the best i have used so far. The Sony WH1000 XM3 are actually the best for me for bluetooth headphones and i use it frequently in the office but its an unfair comparison since those have active noise cancelling.
    So here goes the comparison:
    1. Jabra 65t active: Sound quality: 9/10 - features/ease of use/dependability - 8/10
    2. Airpods - 7/10 and 10/10
    3. Redmi Airdots - 6/10 and 6/10
    4. Galaxy wireless buds - 5/10 and 8/10

I would still place the Airdots above the galaxy buds since for me SQ is still the most important thing when it comes to earphones. So yes at 10% of the price of the Airpods i would say these Mi airdots are just 1-2 notches below the Airpods in terms of sq. I wouldnt say i'd let the airpods go bec of this though since the airpods are more than just about sq especially now that its easy to just plug them in and say "hey siri play my ___ playlist" and it starts immediately, dont even have to touch my phone thanks to the new siri always on feature on the second gen, and of course works great with Apple's smart home integration. But if on a budget and need something for commute etc the airdots is a good choice, but if you can afford it and have apple-centric system, the airpods are the way to go, its not the best in sq but it does many things right and have its place, at least for me, on my audio gear lineup. Hope this helps some who are still deciding what to get. Just to add, if you are after SQ and nothing else, get the Sennheiser momentum true wireless, its said to be the best in SQ so far for true wireless buds, batt life and software though seems iffy based on reviews. Have not had a chance to get one, its always out of stock locally.

IMG_9536.jpg

#890 shootertwist, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019
    hitme64 likes this.
  11. macjobber

macjobber PhilMUG Addict Member

And I just bought my RedMi Airdots for just P900 ($18) during the Shopee 5-5 sale.

Bought 4 pieces.

hitme64 and shootertwist like this.
  12. justinferreros

Is it normal that the case should be somewhat near (when you open it) to the mobile device to see the battery status? I mean the airpods itself connects even far away but when checking for the charge status (opening of case) it needs to be somewhat near to the device otherwise it wont work or detect the case.

*I am on my first AirPods, I apologize for my newbie questions. Hehe

#892 justinferreros, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019
  13. hitme64

Finally ordered this from Twelve South. The AirFly connects to any headphone jack to your AirPods or any Bluetooth headset, which is best especially when flying and those crappy headsets they give out won't last a 14-hour flight. With the AirFly you just connect to your BT headset and enjoy uninterrupted and untangled audio.
    lgiKiK7f6x_1024x1024.jpg

potpot2 likes this.
  14. shootertwist

Yes it has to be near it, but you dont need to do that actually if you just want to see the batt status, just look at your battery widget and all your bluetooth devices currently connected wil have their battery percentage there

15. justinferreros

Thank you for your response, Sir. Two days in and i am enjoying this airpods experience, very convenient. Only issue for me really is the wireless charging. I find it really unreliable.

16. jologs

jologs Active Member

I like how putting on the airpods while watching or listening automatically switches the audio from the built-in speakers to it.

17. shootertwist

^yeah it really is seamless... one thing in my case i really love is when i go out i just put them in my ears and then say "hey sir play ___ songs" could be a playlist, song, album or random playlist made by apple music based on your listening preferences. It instantly plays and no need to pull out my iphone and fiddle with it. I love doing this on homepod, just directly telling siri to play songs you like, and now its also on the airpods (hands free siri, i think it could be done before but you need to trigger it manually not by voice). Also to note, even with the homepod just near me, with my airpods on and i say "hey siri" its the airpods that answers the command so the music plays through them not on the homepod, i guess its due to the airpods' mic being nearer but still its good to know it works flawlessly

18. hitme64

It does, but so do other Bluetooth earphones like Jabra’s Elite, Bose, and Master & Dynamics.

19. shootertwist

Will see how this one stacks up to my other bluetooth earphones, including the jabra 65t active and airpods 2, its gonna be a long wait though...

CA314B4D-ED9D-4878-96DD-E5CB9CC3A41E.jpeg

Attached Files:

jologs likes this.
  20. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm excited to get this to replace my gym AirPods when it goes below the runtime of my usual gym routine (~1hr). For now, those beater is about to last around a year more on my estimate.