AirPods

Discussion in 'Apple Accessories & Peripherals' started by Dekra, Sep 8, 2016.

1. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

To even out the wear of battery, set your right Airpod as mic input. That way, when you get a call, the right Airpod will do the heavy lifting. Try using the right Airpod more often as well. Unfortunately, nothing you can do but even out the wear of both.

2. p.pipster

p.pipster Well-Known Member

Ok, so 1 year in and the magic is wearing off. I find them more and more inconvenient each day for about a month now. I'd be in conference calls for about an hour and I would get the dreaded low battery chime. From then on, it would be that Airpod square dance: you put an Airpod on the case to charge for a few minutes, take it out and put it back on your ear, put the other Airpod in the charging case. Repeat if necessary.

On some apps, the audio is just not that good. I'm not even talking about music or movies – just conference calls. I notice I keep hearing scratches and ticks when using it with the Discord (chat, voice, video conferencing app) Mac app.

For casual listening to music, watching a few videos and quick phone calls (all on the iPhone), it really shines. It's just great for these use cases. On the Apple TV, it's ok. The audio is great and the battery can last me an entire movie or 2 to 3 episodes of a TV show. I guess it's not for binge-watchers... which is not the major market anyway (or is it nowadays).

Using it on the Mac – usually for conferencing – is where it needs to improve. I don't know but when I'm watching Netlflix through Safari, videos through YouTube (still on Safari) and listening to music on Music (iTunes), the audio is great and battery life lasts long enough. It's when I'm using other apps where I lose my patience – Discord, WebEx, Skype, zoom.us, gotomeeting.com. I've decided to just go back to wired when using it on the Mac and so I've rummaged through my old Apple boxes and found my iPhone X EarPods only to find out there isn't a way to plug these to the Mac's headphone jack!

Anyway, it's great for mobile devices like the iPhone and the Watch. It is essential, I would even say. Even very convenient when you have an Apple TV. But don't rely on it too much for work on a desktop/laptop.

zChris likes this.
  3. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

4. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^Hopefully minus the tear drop...a real earpiece would be nice and unobtrusive...

5. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

2020 it is...I can still wait :)

6. rdy0329

By 2020, 2017 AirPods owner might be getting 1 hr battery life per charge. Apple's R&D knows this so I highly doubt they'll delay it to that point. 4 years is too long for small battery operated device like this. BT5.0 is here, I'm less inclined to believe Apple's not gonna pounce on that tech esp with the battery life gains it presents.

Early adopters & heavy users on reddit are reporting degraded battery life. I might be forced to buy another pair. Apple is resting on it's laurels because AirPods shockingly lacks competition (feature/ease of use-wise).

raypin likes this.
  7. raypin

Mm...the speculation says early 2020. That is only 15 months, tops.

8. rdy0329

Anyone who buys this year will be perfectly fine with the use they're gonna get but for me, it'll be like my Apple Watch S0 exp. wherein Series 3 now or Wait for Series 4 just a few months ago.

I said 4 years (included the whole 2016) in terms of R&D NOT product availability. It's not an iPhone.
    Apple's milking it like the MBAir.

#748 rdy0329, Dec 4, 2018 at 12:22 PM
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018 at 12:46 PM
  9. Geego

Geego Member

Is it still worth it to get a pair now? Considering the rumors on the airpods 2. :) Planning to get one from lazada, at 7390 on 12.12! I do hope they have a bdo sale again soon.

10. Aargh

Aargh Well-Known Member

At that price, I say yes it is worth it. You do not know if the rumor is true anyway. There was a rumor that new Airpods will be released this year and we know how that rumor turned out.

11. raypin

Mm....going from the rumor, hold off now for 2019 for the Airpod 2019 with wireless charging. The all-new mystery Airpods 2 will debut 2020. If the Airpod is a need, buy now. If it is a want, delay until 2019 or 2020. If the rumors are true, we can reasonably expect the 2019 Airpods to be priced the same as the current model and the 2020 Airpods 2 to be priced higher since it will be all-new.

If it is a need and a now: what do you need it for? For casual music listening? For phone calls? Purchase cannot be delayed? If so, then go for the current model. I do not see next-year’s wireless charging Airpods to improve much in terms of audio quality and you have that 12/12 discount to consider.

If it is a want, meaning you are not satisfied with the current model’s performance and want better battery life or want more features (very likely), wait for 2020.

Four-year old tech vs. State-of-the-art. Discounted price vs. Higher price. Good performance vs. Better performance. Instant gratification vs. Delayed gratification. Known features and limitations vs. The next big thing in Airpods.

#751 raypin, Dec 5, 2018 at 11:04 PM
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 12:04 AM
  12. mree

mree Active Member

I can't believe that I've been using my AirPods for almost 2 years now. Acquired it 14th of January 2017. So I paid 11 pesos a day for this thing. I admit, the battery life is not as good as it used to, but what do we expect from such a small device right?

When the new thing comes out, I'll definitely get one.

#752 mree, Dec 6, 2018 at 3:49 AM
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 9:41 AM
  13. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Frankly there are far better earpods in the market compared to the AirPods...it's just that they're from Apple that's why we snap it up and use it with our other Apple devices...

It isn't the best out there, it has lousy battery life, it's ridiculously expensive, it doesn't have the leaps and bounds of a true hifi earpiece, and it looks like something dripping out of your ear...

It's unique in its own way though, it's white, it's the best Apple can muster now...

Sunil_K likes this.
  14. pochiman

pochiman PhilMUG Addict Member

yeah... i'd get one in a heartbeat if they'd go ahead with cutting the stems off of them on the next release. it's all about that W1 chip. till then, i'll wait for the next gen before diving in with either the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless or the BOSE SoundSport Free.

hitme64 and jayparalejas like this.
  15. Geego

Geego Member

Thanks for the exciting inputs! I'd probably just get one for now, since I can probably get it a bit low considering the promo codes that lazada might offer. Wireless charging might not be a need for me, though that would be great, but so far wireless charging takes too much time, both on my 8plus, and my S9 :)

I might just get a new one again by 2020! :)

raypin likes this.
  16. Geego

Geego Member

I would love to the bose too! But the price is a bit too high :)

17. raypin

Mm...Apple thanks you! :p