AirPods Pro

Discussion in 'Apple Accessories & Peripherals' started by snipes, Oct 29, 2019.

1. l7224

l7224 Active Member

I was holding off my purchase until I get a confirmation from my friend in the US on her flight details but now it says a November 7 delivery, which is a day after her departure flight. Aaargh!

2. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

you could just ask your friend to buy you at the stores, i read in US forums that Apple stores will have lots of stock starting October 30 (US time) (as per their conversations with store associates)

3. deucejunkie

deucejunkie Active Member

To those who are overseas and have access to stock and are coming back to Manila soon, is there any chance that you could buy extra units and we could buy it from you? I’m happy to pay a little extra for the trouble. Thank you. :D

WickedMac likes this.
  4. l7224

l7224 Active Member

The Store Pickup option is unavailable for her area. I'd hate to ask her to check on the store and be hassled by the long lines, nakakahiya pero baka sige na nga din (sayang yung engraving though). Thanks for the tip!

5. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

The 4-hr listening time doesn't sound so enticing to me. If I have disposable cash lying around I'd probably buy this as an addition to my existing earpods/airpods/earphones. But for a daily driver, not too sure it is worth it.

6. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

I have considered not to get the AirPods Pro, for now, and cancelled my order for a store pickup today. I have been “hearing” quite a few reviewers saying the less than stellar 5 hours listening time is impractical and annoying for one who “pines for a serious audio experience.”

Not today, then.

7. andyled

andyled Member

68B1E767-B80E-4778-843E-8667C22885C9.jpeg 7772BDFC-546B-4110-BE78-31C7119CD8DD.jpeg 4D8D7E30-35E7-49C1-B4FD-098D6403E0C4.jpeg
    This morning at Apple Shinsaibashi

lsalapare, denzzurcaled and raypin like this.
  8. macsurge730

macsurge730 PhilMUG Addict Member

AirPods Pro is more of an “option” for me than an “upgrade” experience and besides I am not for in-ear ones. I hate the feel of silicon in my ear.

Still sticking to my AirPods 2.

9. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mm....it is 4 to 5 hours battery life with NC. I think it is acceptable. I mean who listens to music for more than 4 hours in a single session..............................................................scratch that. I do. :ROFLMAO:

That's why there's a recharging case. Listen then rest your ears while your Airpods (this and the previous models) recharges. No big deal.

And the reviewers who opines that it is less than stellar audio experience are F IDIOTS. What can you expect from a 250 dollar in-ears? Stooopid peeepol.

If you want a stellar, audiophile-grade in-ear listening experience, head to the headphones thread of Philmug. :LOL::ROFLMAO::p:D

tip: if it is wireless, it is extremely bad. If it is wireless vs. wireless, it boils down to which one is less mediocre. Always go wired if you care about music.

#49 raypin, Oct 30, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  10. l7224

l7224 Active Member

To those in the US, can someone walk in to a store and be able to purchase the Airpods Pro or does it have to be bought online with a pickup option?

11. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

AirPods Pro vs FlipEars.jpg
    Compared my AirPods Pro (noise cancelling turned off, of course) vs my Custom In-Ear Monitor (CIEM) above, by FlipEars. Also compared the Pro to my first-gen AirPods, as well as my old Shure 215 in-ear monitor. My quick ranking and takes:

1. CIEM – nothing surprising here since this is custom-molded to my ear canal, has 5 drivers (balanced armature driver, not the common dynamic driver), and a few times more expensive than the Pro. Just better all-around in noise isolation, and sound quality (resolution, balance, sound stage, etc.)—the kind of stuff professional musicians wear on stage. But I'm sure @raypin has better CIEMs that cost 10x more. :D
    2. AirPods Pro – clearly better than my 1st gen AirPods; similar in fit/noise isolation and sound quality to my old Shure 215, but is $150 more expensive because of wireless convenience, noise cancellation, and that "feeling pogi" premium. ;)
    3. Shure 215 – I haven't used this since I got my CIEM. It was my decent, "throw it in the bag, just in case" headphone. Sound quality is similar to the Pro, but less convenient.
    4. AirPods – Only at the "bottom" of this list because it lacks noise isolation, so its bass response is understandably lacking. But it's hella convenient, and has become my daily commuter and telecon headset. I expect no complaints from its hand-me-down beneficiary, my son.
    Never too early to greet y'all, Happy New Ear! :)

Dipp, Qin Zhi, Sunil_K and 5 others like this.
  12. hitme64

@raypin 4-5 hours won’t even last midway of a flight from USA to Seoul or Taiwan or Japan. Charging ports onboard are unreliable especially in economy and I don’t bring power banks because of the safety issue ;)

Besides who would not want to cancel airplane noise i.e. crying babies, snoring seatmates, rattling trays, noisy passengers, just to listen to some laid-back soothing music?

@l7224 you can 1) get it directly at any Apple Store or Best Buy and/or 2) order online, get it thru delivery or store pickup of your choice on a scheduled date.

l7224 and raypin like this.
  13. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Two words better than "AirPods Pro": Game Seven. :) World Series.

IMG_5507.jpg

Dipp and raypin like this.
  14. marvinp

marvinp Active Member

Lined up before 9am yesterday at Apple Canton Road HK. Was about 20th in line. After store opened, took me just 5 minutes to purchase. They had lots of stocks.

rdy0329 and raypin like this.
  15. deucejunkie

deucejunkie Active Member

As per Apple, a 5-minute trip inside the charging case will provide the AirPods an hour’s worth of juice, and a fully-charged charging case will have you covered for 24 hours of usage. I think that’s not too bad?

#55 deucejunkie, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    raypin and potpot2 like this.
  16. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^Though I travel every 4–8 weeks, few are long haul flights. A handful of long flights a year won't be enough reason for a 4–5 hour battery life to be a deal-breaker for me. Daily use case rules. This might be an issue for people who wear cans all day; I don't. My daily commute is less than an hour per day (total) because I moved out of unliveable cities. :p

Another observation: most noise-cancelling (NC) headphones I have tried distinctly color (change the tone of) the sound (i.e., less high frequencies, more compressed, etc.) The Pro's NC is better than most; the difference between NC on and off is subtle; sound quality suffers less—probably because the Pro is smarter; uses an internal mic to EQ the tone, which most (older) NC headphones did not. In short, more Pros than Cons. ;)

17. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

4 hours would be enough for me... i hardly deplete the batt of my sennheiser momentum true wireless and i think that’s also rated 4-5 hours... but mine will be delivered Nov 5 pa, missed the boat on the first batch

18. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

John Gruber just posted his review. Dammit... i guess I am buying myself a pair.

raypin likes this.
  19. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Ot: Mm....this Christmas, turn a new leaf and stop economizing. You are about my age, I think. Time to splurge. You deserve better. Stop polluting your ears with wireless ear buds (yes even with Airpods Pro). Buy a proper wired ear set. Start with a high-quality in-ears monitor followed by a high-quality digital audio player.

On your next trip to HK or SG, visit Jaben HK in Mongkok, DMA Audio or Letsgo in Wanchai. In SG, visit Music Sanctuary or Jaben SG or E1 Personal Audio. In Tokyo, there’s e-Earphone in Akihabara (@rbenzon visited it sometime ago). Bring your current earphones or wireless whatever and COMPARE with what those shops have. It truly is a world of difference. Hear for yourself.

Most folks do not care about headphones or in-ears. Huge mistake.

raze19, l7224, lsalapare and 2 others like this.
  20. hitme64

Give me your three best headphones to start with and part of my retirement pension goes there (y)

kyubi likes this.