Airdrop issue: What am I doing wrong, please help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mauwrr, May 23, 2016.

1. mauwrr

mauwrr Active Member

Dear PhilMug Masters,

I am at a loss here. I have recently acquired a MBA 13” Early 2015 shipped with OS X El Cap ver.10.11.3 so think this one’s fairly new. Since I am a shifter from Windows, I am quite newbie when it comes to operating a Mac. I am still enjoying finding out things in here.

Anyway, as I explore along, I found out that I cannot connect my 6s to this computer. I’d like to airdrop some files vice versa, but I simply can’t, which is kinda frustrating. This MBA does not detect my 6s and vv. I tried to:
    1. pair them with BT, both are paired, but 6s will disconnect almost immediately after pairing
    2. restart both devices
    3. restart both devices’ BT
    4. delete bt.plist (as I have seen in the internet)
    I know I am missing something. Or is something wrong with either my phone or the laptop? When I tried sending something from MBA to 6s, 6s says MBA device not compatible [how so?]. Do I need to update OS to latest version? Could you point me to the right direction? Thanks in advance!

2. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

Hi Mauwrr!

Is your iphone 6s originally connected to a windows machine? If yes, then the mac wont be able to read it.

My sister had her iphone and ipad synced up with her mac. She needed to load up a few mags from my windows machine. When she tried connecting her ipad, it said that it cannot read it since it was synced up to a mac. I tried my windows synced iphone on her mac and it didnt read it too.

This is just my experience but maybe the mac experts here might be able to help you better.

mauwrr and hitme64 like this.
  3. pael

pael Well-Known Member

I believe pairing via bluetooth is not a requirement. Just turn on Bluetooth and make sure the iPhone and Air are on the same WiFi network, then show to "everyone".

Not sure if it matters, but I'm not sure if iCloud login is required for both devices?

4. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^Ditto @Sunil_K you may need to un-sync your iPhone with a Windows machine before you can use it on a Mac...ditto also @pael no need for BT pairing just open both bluetooth and wi-fi (on the same network) and it should appear on both devices...look at your Airdrop settings for both devices also before syncing...

Usually, your phone will see your Mac through Airdrop and you can then send files to the Mac by clicking it on Airdrop...

Make sure your devices are both updated to the latest software tho' am sure you already have done so...

mauwrr likes this.
  5. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

There are 3 settings for AirDrop visibility between devices

AirDrop: Off
    AirDrop: Contacts Only
    AirDrop: Everyone

AirDrop requires bluetooth and Wifi turned on. No need to be connected in same wifi network. It can use adhoc wifi networking...you don't have to worry what that is it just works.

AirDrop: Contacts Only

Your Mac or iPhone's logged in iCloud should match the other device's contact list for them to see each other.

AirDrop: Everyone

Macs and iOS devices in close proximity can see each other.

If you're sending from a Mac you're limited to photos, videos and vCard (contacts) to iOS devices.

Hope that helps

mauwrr, greta87 and hitme64 like this.
  6. mauwrr

mauwrr Active Member

Thank you very much for all of your suggestions. Unsyncing with my windows machine did the trick! Finally (y)

greta87, hitme64 and Sunil_K like this.
  7. Paeng

Paeng Active Member

Good day, I have a similar case but the only difference is that my iP6s is not sync with a windows machine like TS in which unsyncing did the trick to her.
    Currently my iP6s is sync only in my MBA, is there any other ways or methods in this issue? Thanks.

8. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm on the same boat... - iMac and iPhone 6S Plus...

this iPhone is only synched with this iMac... no Windows computer / device here at home.

I did everything I could, they still wont see each other on Airdrop.

#8 cybersniper, Jun 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  9. bacchus_3

For the iOS devices to see your Mac's make sure you open Finder and select 'AirDrop' from the left sidebar. If you don't your iOS devices will never see your Macs :)

10. cybersniper

^Done that. No avail.

11. minenskie

minenskie Member

The culprit might be because one of the device is currently connected to a home WIFI router, which I think get confused in joining/switching between networks (ad hoc network & wifi network).

12. cybersniper

^Both devices are actually on the same wifi network. Aint that one of the requirements for Airdrop?

13. nuggets

nuggets Member

I have the same problem. Imac to Iphone 6+ / ipad air and vise versa doesnt work. But if its between ios devices it works. I tried restarting everything. iOS devices are synced to the same imac.

14. infiniteloop

infiniteloop Active Member

have you tried other iOS devices or vice versa just to know between the two kung sino may problem?

15. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

Airdrop between my iPhone 6 plus and my macs (minis) has been generally iffy. When it works, it's quick and it's great. When it doesn't, I send photos on my iPhone via email.

I haven't been able to pinpoint why it works when it works, and why it doesn't when it doesn't.

16. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^I think the issue is more on the strength of the wi-fi network...it seems i can connect faster at work than at home, this despite that we only have five users hereat compared to my office which has 20 users...

Just now, i am not able to connect to airdrop from an SE to my MB...and yet at work it was so easy to do so...

17. cybersniper

Yes bro - I've tried wifey's iMac, her iPad Air 2, her iPhone 6 Plus, my son's iPad, - they just wont see each other. I've even tried using the ISP Provided Modem-Router... still no success.

18. infiniteloop

infiniteloop Active Member

Oh so who's at fault here? The 5k imac? All of your apple devices cant see each other ba? Sorry bro I'mconfused

19. bacchus_3

I just remembered. For those trying to see other devices on your Wifi network your router or something in your network may be setting up firewall rules to block the Bonjour service ports. IF the wifi network you're using stops you from seeing other Airdrop clients, try disconnecting from that Wifi and let your devices see each other through adhoc (wifi not connected to any network).

In my office our network is very restrictive blocking several TCP/UDP ports (firewall thingy) that Airdrop is useless. I have to disconnect my Macbook from the Wifi network and do the same for my iPhone to let them see each other again.

Hope this helps guys.

Netskipper likes this.
  20. cybersniper

Yes - all Macs/iOS Devices just wont see each other... Airdrop is just useless here at home.

I think what bacchus_3 said makes sense. I will look into this. I'm using a Netgear D7000 as modem-router.