AirBNB Experience

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Superman102175, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Superman102175

Durian and Pomelo Capital Of The Philippines
    Hi!

Anyone here who used AirBNB for your accommodations overseas? Please share your experience/s. Thank you

2. GilGrissom

GilGrissom Well-Known Member

Just used airbnb to book accommodations in Brooklyn last October. Experience was good overall. Just be sure to research the neighborhood that you'll staying in. You can end up with cheap accommodations but a bad neighborhood.

Experience is nice...you can meet fellow airbnb'ers from around the world if you share rooms in an apartment.

You can actually cook your own meals and wash your clothes for units that have a kitchen and a washer.

3. wiretap_MD

wiretap_MD Member

I used AirBnB when I had my convention in San Francisco last Nov 12-16. Stayed with family at an apartment in SoMa district about 15 minutes walk from Moscone. Your experience will vary depending on your host. Just be sure to read all the reviews of the place you intend to stay in. As for my experience, we had a good one. Using it again for my Seoul trip in 2 weeks.

4. zero.

zero. Active Member

Booked an apartment for 1 week for a short vacation in Amsterdam when I had to renew my passport a couple of months back. The host was very nice, straightforward and accommodating. He taught us how to get to the city center and back via public transport (tram and bus) and even offered us his bicycles for free. Payment was thru Paypal and I paid the full amount upon booking. Look for hosts that have a good reputation and fantastic reviews.

5. bmsantillan

bmsantillan Active Member

Booked in SF and NY last summer. Had no problems at all and the hosts are very helpful and accommodating.

In NY, we had an issue though in rates charged online but the host returned cash with no hassle at all.

6. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

Haven't tried it personally but my sister-in-law was able to book a nice studio apartment all to herself in Brooklyn last May-June. Our friend in San Jose California swears by AirBNB. All their lodgings in their recent European vacation were via AirBNB.

7. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

Something to consider: If you are travelling in a group (i.e. 5 or more people), make sure that the place has more than 1 bathroom.

8. bmsantillan

9. jflorendo

jflorendo Member

We used AirBNB to book an apartment in London last April. Our host was friendly, accommodating and thorough with the rules like taking out the garbage and how everything works around the apartment. He gave us tips on how to go around, where to eat around the neighborhood, etc. I guess we're lucky our host runs a small family-owned hotel a few minutes away that's why he was so organized. Just make sure to read the reviews and check the map so you'll have an idea about the neighborhood.

10. k1ng_archer

k1ng_archer Member

do we have this available locally? we're actually looking for a condo for overnight use for our planned team christmas party.

11. bmsantillan

I believe it is.

12. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

yes there are also users offering their place locally. we once booked a house in Cebu once, place was nice and booking was hassle-free. :)

13. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

I have used AirBNB twice in SFO and once in Carmel.

What I normally do is spend my hotel budget on an AirBnB—same cost, but usually better place.

I mainly use hotels now for business trips—sheer convenience. But with family, AirBnB!

So one thumb up for AirBnB. Another thumb up if they tie-up with Ashley Madison. :D

14. manager

manager Active Member

Used airbnb this June to book for two families in Tokyo. My wife found two apartments in the same building stone's throw away from Shibuya crossing. Location was very good and price was unbeatable. We're now already searching Seoul apartments for our next trip!

The service is exceptional, showcasing how the internet is upending traditional booking services [just like Uber]. Personally, we also enjoyed that you're living like a local.

Note that aside from you leaving reviews of the place, the owner can also leave a review of you as a tenant so other lessors can check you out as well. Clean as you go ;-)

15. dasaint

dasaint PhilMUG Addict Member

Use Airbnb since i dont like stay in places that remind me of work. Plus if you have a great host they are a source of great local information and end up as your friends. We have Airbnb also in the Philippines.

16. goddessella

goddessella Member

when i was studying abroad last year, i used airbnb quite often around europe. i used it in paris, gothenburg, stockholm, and barcelona. i guess i was lucky enough to find hosts that were very nice and accommodating. they even became my friends afterwards. in stockholm tho, we rented the whole apartment so i never met the host. i just knocked at their neighbor's door for the keys.

locally, i tried to get bookings from there for my Cebu/Sinulog trip next week. i started inquiring last september but all the places i checked were not available as their extra rooms would be used by their relatives or friends for the sinulog. had to book a regular hotel room. i also tried booking for a bohol overnight stay but since i am travelling solo, my mom told me to get a local hotel instead.

i like airbnb because i feel like it's very secure and you get to know possible hosts in advance. when i first signed up tho, i had a problem getting my FB account verified. the website could not detect enough activity on my facebook account at first, but a few days later, i got it working without a hitch.

17. Xotigu

Xotigu Active Member

Used AirBnB in our Japan Trip last year (Tokyo and Osaka).
    It's cheap and the house is very great! Amenities are complete. They even lend you a pocket wifi to use.
    The hosts are very kind, sometimes they give you a gift (last time they gave us a Mochi).
    I don't know if this is only the case in Japan.
    Will be using AirBnb again on my next trip.

ArkiJan likes this.
  18. kebabortega

kebabortega Member

I used airbnb when I went to Rome and Brussels. it is better than staying in a hotel/hostel! :)

19. macbuboy

macbuboy Member

+1
    Used airbnb in HKG. More options where to stay. Good price and you get discount codes too.
    Using it again for BKK this April. :)

20. Aquapods

Aquapods Member

Hi, its my first time to use airbnb and i was about to book an apartment when i saw the security deposit which was twice the cost of renting the unit. Do i also have to pay for this aside from the rental fee? Thanks.