After upgrading to iPhoto 08, where did my iPhoto 06 library go?

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by noweev, Aug 27, 2007.

1. noweev

noweev Member

I have thousands of pictures under iPhoto 06. I recently upgraded to iPhoto 08 and when I launched it this morning, it says it can't find my iPhoto Library. My options are: create a new one, look for the library, or quit. I tiredloking for the old one, but to no avail. So I decided to create a new one. Ofcourse, now my new iPhoto is empty.

The good thing is that my orginal pictures are backed-up already so I can re-create my albums. But where did it go?

2. icetraxx626

icetraxx626 Active Member

Hmmm that's kinda weird that your library was lost. Normally it would be found in pictures folder then iphoto library. I never lost my library when I upgraded to iphoto '08

3. loko__loko

loko__loko Well-Known Member

4. tweek

tweek Well-Known Member

search for the .jpg in Spotlight

5. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Had no problems upgrading to iPhoto '08 either. The first time you launch iPhoto 7, it will ask you if you want to upgrade your existing library, if it finds it. I did this several times because I wanted to combine all my separate iPhoto libraries into one. I finally have a single iPhoto library with all 16,000+ photos.

It seems that iPhoto 7 never even saw your original iPhoto Library. Whatever happened, thank goodness you had a backup.

6. macbeth

macbeth Member

yeah, that's really strange. i had no problems at all when i upgraded. are you sure that your iphoto library is not in an external drive or something?

same here, i backup all of my music and photos always. good thing Aperture really is efficient in keeping photo projects.

7. em_jis

em_jis Member

had no problems either on photo library after the upgrade...

8. rosea

rosea Member

I haven't gotten problems either when I upgraded, except that I noticed that in Finder, instead of the iPhoto photos being in a folder that I can browse through, it was replaced by an iPhoto icon and doesn't show subfolders. I can see the subfolders when I access the pictures within iPhoto ("show file" option on the dropdown menu), though.

Maybe you can try using WhatSize to try to see if the pictures are still in the hard disk somewhere? If you find them, you can access them using that app, too. :)

Good luck!

9. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I think it's great that Apple did this. So many new iPhoto users have screwed up their iPhoto Libraries by manipulating those files and directories directly from Finder. By turning the iPhoto Library folder into a package, newbies can no longer make that mistake.

If you really wanted to check, you can right click on your upgraded iPhoto Library icon, and choose "Show Package Contents". You'll see the old folder structure there. But remember, don't manage those files using Finder, ALWAYS use iPhoto.

If you want to copy photos from iPhoto to a flash drive or something, you can always drag photos directly from iPhoto to any folder in Finder, the Desktop, or another app.

#9 PatrickGaerlan, Aug 27, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  10. em_jis

em_jis Member

agree with patrick...

11. surgfish

surgfish Active Member

My exact words!

Now, I'm afraid of upgrading.