Advise please: MBP Retina or MBP, which to buy?

Discussion in 'Graphic Designers' started by lishechen, Jan 23, 2016.

1. lishechen

lishechen Member

My 2011 MBP recently got spilled by my 4 yr old cousin, logicboard is compromised since it's been spilled by alcohol (first spill) prior that. I've been using it for various creative work ie., advertising work (comps using PS & AI), coding (sublime text, DW), usual browsing, etc. In other words, I work on it alot & it serves as a tool to gain for income.

MBP
    I've been told (that's similar to mine) could be a viable option bec

Pros:
    • price range
    • repairability
    • updatable parts
    Cons:
    • might get outdated
    • parts pulled out in the future
    MBP with Retina I've been told isn't viable for heavy creative work since the flashdrive is soldered onto the logic board so in case logicboard is compromised, files wouldn't be retrieved. But it is advisable bec it's a faster, lighter machine, and to go along with the upgrades of Apple.

Which would you recommend to buy and why? Thanks in advance!

2. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

Hi @lishechen, not sure but have you experienced the Retina display? Personally, I think it's night and day compared to the non-Retina displays, and that alone should be reason enough to choose that. Especially with all your photo/video editing you plan to do with it.

As for the fried logic board and losing data, never really looked at it that way. I've been using a 15" rMBP for a couple of years now and I have a daily backup so I'm sorta confident my files are recoverable.

rimewire and hitme64 like this.
  3. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

I think it's the RAM (memory) chips that are soldered to the logic board in the rMBP. The SSD drive can be removed and salvaged provided you can connect it to another rMBP or a compatible connector.

Maybe you were referring to the retina MacBook which has the storage and RAM soldered in its tiny logic board? If so I think this is not the machine that can live up to heavy graphics work.

Anyway, if budget is not an issue, the rMBP is a great upgrade. I just think that the specs I want is so expensive. I myself have been using a non-retina MBP for creative work. Another reason why I'm not upgrading is because it's still a workhorse and can take whatever task I throw at it. Had it upgraded to an SSD and maxed out the ram to 16gb. Also had one of the speakers replaced by myself.

Your concerns with data loss can be addressed by making backups. With or without salvageable storage, making backups is an utmost essential if you work on files that you value. You have several options including cloud storage, external hard drives and flash drives, network attached storage and even DVDs or Blu-ray Discs if you so prefer.

#3 makintosh, Jan 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
    hitme64 likes this.
  4. lishechen

lishechen Member

What's your preferred backup option? Thanks for the advise

5. lishechen

lishechen Member

Ah no, I don't plan to buy a Macbook, since I will be using the machine for heavy creative work. Yes, I mean there are alot of hardware that's soldered onto the logic board. So for instance, in the event that I had an accident, with MBP non-retina, I was able to get my files whereas I was told if it had been rMBP, all of the unbacked files will be lost.

I was thinking of buying the MBP non-retina then up the ram to 16gb + replace SSD in the future too; but there are some who have advised to go with retina for the creative work & speed.

I'm honestly still on the fence

6. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

7. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

Its not true that you won't be able to recover files from a rMBP's SSD as compared to the storage drive of the non-retina variant. The only reason you won't be able to do so is if the SSD itself is damaged.

I don't notice significant difference in performance between a non-retina MBP (i7, 512mb dedicated video card, 16gb RAM and 256gb SSD) and a rMBP (i7, 1gb video card, 16gb RAM and 512gb SSD) for graphics work that use Photoshop and Illustrator or other similar app. I only notice the rMBP advantage in video editing because of its higher specced video card.

For me, I'll choose the non-retina MBP if I:
    1. Don't mind the weight and thickness (I like it thick and heavy, it gives me more exercise)
    2. Want to be able to more easily replace parts like RAM, storage drive, etc. (I'm a geek and wants to tinker with my gadgets or replace parts without breaking the bank)
    3. Need the DVD drive and LAN port (I like retro and throwbacks and too long exposure to wifi and other RF signals make my head hurt -- the latter is not a joke)
    4. Don't mind the non-retina screen (Its either I can't see the difference or the price of the rMBP blurs my vision)
    5. Want to stretch my budget and probably get the upgrades later (I'm a business person and like to recoup my investments first and spend some of the earning for later upgrades or when I can afford it... ala Mr. Krabs)
    6. Don't mind showing off an older model mac to others (Because I don't want to give Apple money every time they release something new)

And I will choose the rMBP if I:
    1. Want a thinner and lighter MBP (The non-retina MBP makes me look fat)
    2. Have the budget to afford the specs I want and know that I won't be able to upgrade it in the future (Money is no object. If I make a mistake with purchasing a lesser specced unit, I'd buy another upgraded one in a heartbeat)
    3. Don't need a DVD drive or can live with an external one and prefer wifi over LAN for network and internet connection (CDs and DVD are sooooo 90's and radiation from wireless devices is just a conspiracy theory or I don't mind my cells getting fried)
    4. Want the retina screen (This is like insurance for my retinas)
    5. Can afford it (Refer to #2)
    6. Want to impress others that I have the latest, greatest and shiniest (I'm no cheapskate and I'm not afraid to flaunt it. Bling bling baby)

:)