Adobe Acrobat 6.00 w/ Panther

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by nicomendoza, Nov 13, 2004.

1. nicomendoza

nicomendoza Guest

Hi All!

I just switched to Macs a few months ago (and secretly wonder why I didn't earlier), and now I have Adobe Acrobat Pro 6.0. I tried to copy the application directly from the CD to the application folder, and it initialises properly, asking me for my password, and registration details, but I noticed that the PDFWriter printer is not correctly installed. Everything else (including Microsoft Office plug-ins) are there, except for this printer.

I tried to re-install the printer by logging on with my root account and issuing this command at the terminal:

rm /usr/libexec/cups/backend/pdf

After doing that, I rebooted my computer and launched Acrobat again, and it goes through the same initialisation routine (sans the request for user information), and then the PDFWriter printer is still not available.

I also tried to use the "Save as PDF" function in Panther, and just proceeded to Acrobat to include my digital signature and comments, then I realise that the file size became smaller as Acrobat stipped a few things off the file (can't remember the name), but when I sent the file to another computer (or viewed it using Preview) it was unreadable. Could all these problems be interrelated?

In any case, my installation is a wreck and the program rendered unusable. Tips? Anyone? Thanks!

2. Kenneth

Kenneth Moderator

When you transfered the PDF file to the other computer, what Acrobat reader version was it? Maybe you saved the PDF as ver 6 and the readers on the other computer is only ver. 5 or less.

3. nicomendoza

nicomendoza Guest

I transferred it using Version 6 and the target computer was running Acrobat Reader 6.0. I also did this to transfer to Version 4 with the target computer running preview, but both PDF's became unusable.