AddressBook Contacts Wiped Out help asap

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by chec, Feb 11, 2010.

1. chec

chec Member

I was running isync this morning and thought that i should organize my contacts on my personal phone coz apparently addressbook doesnt do multiple databases..just groups, so then i erased my personal contacts in address book and started syncing thinking that the contacts in my phone would be back..but no! it erased my phonebook! i need to recover the file...please help very important thank you

2. kyapjoco

kyapjoco Member

The data file should be located in ~Library/Application Support/AddressBook

Try using recovery software if you can still recover the datafile. If recovering the file doesn't work and did not do a backup, you're out of luck.

3. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

If you have not performed a Time Machine Backup of your Mac, your data is gone. Syncing means the latest activity will take precedence over old data. If you delete an entry in any device or Mac that are syncing together, that data will be deleted in all machines and devices after syncing.

4. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

common mistake......no backups.......accidental erasure......no contacts stored in the simcard.....next time do upload your contacts to Google. Just use a gmail account to accomplish that. If you want to keep it within the Apple ecosystem, get a mobileme account (60 days trial, pay after that) which is perfect for data backup not just for contacts but also for your emails and calendar events. Set it to manual.

ot: For Winmo users like myself, I use myPhone service via Hotmail.....similar on-line, wireless and cloud-based data backup but it includes text messages, documents, music, movies, plus it is free. If I lose my phone, no problem. I just buy a new Winmo and sync it to recover all my lost/stolen/dead phone's data, up to the latest date of back up. It's like the Resurrection ship of the effin' Cylons :)

5. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Be careful with online syncing too. If it is setup to sync the same way, latest changes will take precedence. You can still lose data. Choose a setting where on device or account is the master.

6. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Time Machine would have solved this. It would have been trivial to restore an earlier Address Book database, just had to do this for my niece a couple of days ago.

7. macky2green

macky2green Member

Also, if you'll do a big move like deleting the whole address book on the other device, backing-up the Mac's Address Book after the final (complete) sync will be the best/wisest thing to do --> Address Book > File > Back Up Address Book. After that, you should feel more complacent playing around with things on either Address Books (Mac and/or phone). If anything goes wrong, you can simply restore that back-up file/database onto your Mac's Address Book Address Book > File > Revert to Address Book Back Up and sync again.

#7 macky2green, Feb 20, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  8. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Don't just sync again. Remove the device from iSync. Then add again as a new device. Otherwise if the time stamping from the restoration is much earlier than your device data then all will be gone again. Just understand what syncing does and plan your actions.

9. juanmarcuz

juanmarcuz Member

you should have un-paired before deleting your contacts.. did that before, good this i exported by contacts first for backup..

10. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

To clarify semantics, maybe by unpairing you mean device removal from iSync. There is no need to remove Bluetooth pairing. Removal from iSync is enough. You can remove a device from iSync without removing Bluetooth pairing. Adding it later and then syncing forces a merge of data from your device and the Mac.