Adding RAM to a Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by thechosen1, Feb 6, 2010.

1. thechosen1

thechosen1 Member

hi

question lang. im planning to buy a pre-owned macbook. it only has 1gb or RAM tho, so im curious. do we have shops that offer such service. as for DIY, is it really easy? i havent researched for it yet. just thought id post my concern here before i head to work :)

2. makinao

makinao Active Member

Its relatively easy. Just make sure to get the right type of ram for your particular model. For directions, just google it. The web is filled with instructions.

3. jessieboi

jessieboi Member

4. thechosen1

thechosen1 Member

that sounds good.. thanks gurus. ill check it out. @jessieboi thanks bro. im checking it out right now

5. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Well-Known Member

Personally, if you're not really that budget-conscious, I would suggest instead that you have your RAM upgraded by an Apple reseller such as iStudio.

While it may be a lot cheaper if you were to just buy RAM and install it yourself (Apacer 2 x 1GB RAM retails for about P5,000 at Villman), I would still suggest that you buy RAM from an Apple reseller and have them install it for you for the reason that there have been numerous incidents posted here at PhilMUG and in other forums (such as MacRumors) where people accidentally broke those relatively fragile pieces of metal which hold/fasten the RAM modules onto the mainboard. :(

The last time I inquired at iStudio, they offer Kingston RAMs (which are usually more expensive than Apacer) for P7,500 inclusive of installation. What's good about it is that if they break it, it's their fault, and the burden of replacing the mainboard falls on them.

Inasmuch as I'm a bit price conscious myself--we all want value for money, don't we?--I would rather spend slightly a bit more just to ensure that the RAM modules get installed properly, and in the event that the unit gets damaged during the course of the upgrade--the axe falls on them, and not on me. :)

#5 Qin Zhi, Feb 8, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  6. cyrianagujo

cyrianagujo Member

i admire qin zhi being cautious, but it's really very easy to replace RAM modules in macbooks..i have a late '07 blackbook and it took me about 8-10mins to replace the ram modules..searched youtube for a video guide..there is really just a slim chance breaking the RAM modules, unless you have some kind of super strength in your fingers lol..just my two cents..

7. ronmtorres

ronmtorres Member

i second Qin Zhi's suggestion. believe me, i've been very careful of my macbook pro when i tried installing my own RAM, and i broke the ram latch. i might have also broken the lower ram slot; apple would not repair/replace the slot even if the unit is still under apple warranty. i have upgraded several rams on other laptops and computers so i do not know if that was just coincidence or what. is it worth me scrimping on at least P2k for that? i do not think so; i regretted my decision. while this instance may not be common, i'm just telling you my experience.

8. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

i also replaced my ram by myself, luckily i didnt broke anything, my only problems i encountered after two months was my mac hang/freeze. i found out that the kingston model is not compatible, luckily (again) kingston replaced the ram from kvr to kta model:D

9. inco9ni2

inco9ni2 Member

for a MacBook white model the RAM is so easy to install, the latch can be access easily by jez unlocking 3 screws

but for the MacBook aluminum model u may need to take off the whole back cover coz the slot for the RAm is on the upper part of the hard drive. :)

Got my 2GB Apacer RAm for a mere 1k w/ free installation so far not having any problems at all ;)

10. peppers

peppers Member

RAMs are one of the most ESD sensitive electronic accessories that customers need to be cautious in dealing with...installing /uninstalling. If you are not sure of what you are doing go to an authorized technician. You might pay more if you DIY and break.

My advice if you really want to DIY....always wear ESD strap and ground yourself.... AND....never touch anything metal on the RAM modules instead hold them at the far edges.

11. natsgo

natsgo Well-Known Member

RAM modules are more resilient than that.
    I have handled hundreds of RAM modules in my 15+ years in the IT field and I've only used the grounding strap once.
    I have never damaged a single RAM module.
    Maybe I'm just lucky? :p

12. MyMaria

MyMaria Member

thechosen1 I installed my own additional RAM (coz I'm too cheap to pay for services) and I think I was lucky enough not to damage anything (even though I touched the gold part and thank goodness I didn't ground myself)... and I hardly read the instructions on how to DIY! So I took a video of it.. just in case. LOL.. I think it just takes some guts and just carefully read directions, you should do good ;)

13. paul_s

paul_s Member

If you can find a 2x2GB RAM for 4.5k-5k from an Apple reseller with free installation, I suggest you just go that route.

I had a hard time removing the screws using a small philips screw which came from a cdrking enclosure. Good thing there was a hardware (handyman) nearby and I had to buy a new set of precision tools (number zero phillips is mentioned in the MacBook manual) just to unlock the screws.

Save yourself the trouble and just go to an Apple authorized reseller. :)

14. schlagger

schlagger New Member

installing ram is one of the simplest upgrade you can do with your mac. (actually kahit sa pc laptop/desktop)... you basically just need to know the 1.) compatible ram for your unit and must have 2.) precision philips screwdriver. :)

[​IMG]
    get appropriate ram

[​IMG]
    remove screws from the bottom panel (may be more difficult for some invisible shield users)

[​IMG]
    here's what the inside looks like

[​IMG]
    ram slots (two on top of each other)... just take out the two and insert the new ones. once you feel/hear a "click," then it's properly installed :)

15. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

@ schlagger

your right, changing/upgrading mems is the simplest part same as with the HD. but, taking some precautions is not that bad, especially that you won't touch the gold part. i also used to upgrade mems before from pc. at first, when cleaning my mems, i usually used an eraser, then a microfiber cloth then use my little finger to slightly rub against the gold part, to remove some of the excess dirt from erasers, but unfortunately, i don't experience grounding, until I experienced just recently, while I'm cleaning my mems on my mpb, then i discover when i run memtest on my mac, it occurs some error, which i believed was accidentally damaged (luckily, its under warranty). as of now, due to that experience, i follow the guide on discharging first the current (on mbp), prior removing the mems. also, i don't touch the gold part anymore. experience still the best teacher.

16. schlagger

schlagger New Member

@soulspain... oops, sorry forgot that part. yeah, avoid touching other parts as much as possible... particularly the circuit board and contacts. :) i also used to do the eraser trick... though i later realized that it was easier to use contact cleaners. hehe. :)

17. natsgo

natsgo Well-Known Member

Using the microfiber cloth was what probably damaged it.

"Microfiber...their electrostatic properties give them a high dust-attracting power..."

from - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microfiber

18. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

@ schlagger

eraser trick is somewhat effective. i don't use any form of cleaning chemicals on mems. i don't why, but i don't trust them. maybe, i'm just stock on my idea and thought that metals + liquid = rust/corrosion. just my belief.

@ natsgo

ah, so that's the culprit. maybe i'll just stick on ordinary cloth for cleaning. yesterday, i remembered seeing a microfiber cloth named "microtex", and according from the packaging, it is an "electronics cleaning cloth", but on the top, it is labeled as "microfiber". can i use this?hmmm... thanks for the advice!

19. 3paulx

3paulx New Member

guys, i was told by an apple center guy that its safer to have them replace the rams 4 u coz they have ground mats. They say that if you change it by yourself, theres a risk of some sort of a static glitch that may cause problems with ur mac's performance. How true is this?

I've changed my brother's (powerbook) ram and it was easy, i just followed a tutorial @ youtube until after a couple of months my brother told me his g4 is starting to hang and eventually conked out. an now Im thinking that its because I changed it by myself.........does anyone has other idea what happened? apple center guy said the ram broke down and burned the HD?!?!? Its now fixed coz apple center took care of it hehe

20. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

What a load of cr_p. The Apple center gave that explanation because you supplied them info about your DIY ram replacement. The hard disk probably just gave up. I would report that technician to Apple.

There are certain conditions required to have static buildup.

• dry air ( your AC must be very efficient to suck the air dry)

• your electrical isolation from the ground. (wearing rubber soles, floor mats)

• a rubbing media to build the charge (carpet, plastic chair, polyester clothing)

As you can see, our tropical climate isn't conducive to static build up. Even in ac rooms you may not meet the other conditions.

My solution is to work bear feet. Then I touch a door knob or the ground to discharge what ever build up there is. If you are anal, you can wear a grounding strap on your wrist. Follow manufacturer instructions.