ADDA: Anti-Distracted Driving Act

Discussion in 'General OT' started by rbenzon, May 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm..based on the revised rules for ADDA:

IMG_0189.JPG

hitme64 likes this.
  2. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

^ Was there a question here? That infographic is wrong about dashcams. The RA does not include dashcams. But if you use your mobile phone as a dashcam, then it will be covered by the law and you can only install it no higher than 4 inches above the dashboard... or behind the rear view mirror. Although I can't imagine why you'd do the latter.

3. raypin

Mm...that infographic (Source: http://news.abs-cbn.com/life/multim...the-revised-anti-distracted-driving-act-rules) seems to be accurate. Hopefully, that is also the interpretation of traffic enforcers. For me, that is a sensible approach since the new 4" from the dashboard safe zone (meaning gadgets, rosaries, bibles, abubut etc. can be placed or installed) does not impede driver's line of sight. As for dashcams, I agree that it should be placed behind the rearview mirror. It is the most sensible area to install it in order to give unimpeded view for the camera to record without impeding driver's LOS.

The new safe zone takes into consideration dashboard-installed monitors like those on Mazda vehicles. That should be a source of relief for Mazda car owners.

hitme64 likes this.
  4. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^Bumili na nga ng rear view mirror with embedded front and rear cam para hinde makaviolate ng maski anong LOS na yan o sa tamang paglagay ng dashcam nasita pa dahil me TV daw sa mirror eh bawal daw.

Sarap ihampas ung salamin sa ulo nila...

Good news tho' 2x na lang nasita...o kaya kilala na yung sasakyan ng anak ko

potpot2, raypin and shutterbug like this.
  5. oj88

I agree in some of your points, but what I'm talking about is the accuracy of that infographic vs the actual RA and IRR regarding dashcam placement (or its absence in the law).

Dashcam placement behind the rear view mirror is NOT mandatory. If the infographic says that dashcams MUST be installed in so and such way, that's misinformation. If it instead said that it is RECOMMENDED to put it there, then that's probably good advice but at the same time, does not come off as being part and parcel of said law. I don't want the police to get the wrong idea and arrest me because there's an inch or two of the dashcam peeking out of the rear view mirror. Distracted and obstructed are not the same and the law is about the former. I've had more issues with driver obstruction involving the vehicle's A-pillars than anything. Dashcams were never an issue for me... not before when it was practically centered on the windshield and now, where it's slightly below the rear view mirror.

I'm sorry to have to split hairs like this but that's where I was coming from.

Many dashcams, in one manner or another (physical size and/or available mounting kits) can't even fit behind the mirror. Some, including mine, have dual cameras that also takes footage of the passenger compartment, including the side and rear windows. In both situations, fully tucking away the dashcam may not be possible.

potpot2 likes this.
  6. raypin

Mm...I understand your position on the matter but the prospect of being fined 5000 is enough for me to follow the guidelines. I do not want to argue with them on the finer points of ADDA. Not worth the spit. In my case, I use a single, front-facing dashcam and I have removed the suction cup. I have opted to just stick the camera behind my rearview mirror using a 3M velcro fashener. Driving through traffic is hellish enough. Being flagged down because of a possible violation of ADDA is just added hassle.

7. oj88

I have good reason to put my camera where it is. I know what the law says and I'm not about to suck up to anyone's flawed interpretation. I'll give them a fight if it gets to that.

ericb likes this.
  8. rabby

rabby Well-Known Member

my cam isn't behind the rearview too... I heard over the radio interview with LTFRB rep that dashcams are not included. What the infographic means is just a recommendation. but you shouldn't get fined with not mounting behind the rearview.

I already passed by countless MMDA guys while on traffic, they don't seem to mind.

as much as I want to put it behind, there's a sunvisor (dotted) thinggy like this (pic below) that Honda has installed by default. suction cup won't stay there because of the uneven surface

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41287xxWC6L._SX300_.jpg

9. oj88

Same here.

When talking about the law, it must never be subject to multiple interpretations. The RA and IRR did not mention dashcams.... only mobile and handheld electronic and entertainment devices... of which a dashcam is neither. The infographic asserts that dashcams are included and MUST be installed behind the rearview. That's what's wrong.

I already shelled out P600 to replace the included suction cup mounting bracket into a clip-on articulating arm type so that the dashcam could be installed closer to the rearview mirror. But because of the 2nd camera, it has to sit outside of the profile of the mirror and can't totally be hidden. It can't be helped. It has dual cameras and I'm within my rights to maximize their use.

10. raypin

Mm...just a reminder: MMDA is using non-contact apprehension for ADDA, in addition to moving violations.

https://www.mayhuliba.com

Godfather likes this.
  11. rabby

rabby Well-Known Member

Agree... in addition the they said their operating keyword is "Holding" your electronic gadget. You're fine to manipulate your device as long as it is mounted.

They admitted (during the time of interview) that apprehending officers does not have a measuring stick for 4" safe zone and they are still studying what qualifies a "distraction" since not all vehicle dashboards are created equal. If they pull you over, probably just to take sample photos how your gadget is mounted

12. shutterbug

shutterbug Member

I ended up not putting anything on my windshield even if it falls under the 4" above the dashboard rule.... reason is because of the non-contact violation policy... I don't know if we will even be given the chance or right to fight for it when caught.

13. raypin

Mm...exactly. MMDA is supposed to mail you the notice of violation to your vehicle's registered address and you are given only a limited time to contest it. Eh paano kung hindi mo na receive yun notice in time? Tough luck. The fine will have to be paid come renewal time for car registration. Eh paano ngayon kung multiple violation ng ADDA are recorded? Tough luck. You will have to shell out tens of thousands of pesos in fines (potentially).

Iwas na lang kayo and follow, to the letter, the revised rules of ADDA rather than play Russia Roulette. Big Brother is watching (electronically).

Godfather likes this.
  14. oj88

What I've done is to the letter of the ADDA. Yung infographic ang mali. That's all I'm saying.

That picture is helpful, I agree, but it is an interpretation by ABS-CBN. It's not the official position of the law. If you want the official word on dashcams, go here: http://www.mmda.gov.ph/20-faq/2575-anti-distracted-act-faq

I've put emphasis on the term "encouraged". By law, dashcams can be behind the rearview mirror or not and it won't matter because, A) Dashcams are excluded from the ADDA, and B) Even the official ADDA FAQ is not compelling the public to put it behind the rearview.

#94 oj88, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    Roman, makintosh and Godfather like this.
  15. Leon21

Leon21 Active Member

Just had a look at that link and apparently, putting on make-up while driving isn't covered by ADDA. :ROFLMAO: Maybe the flip-phone can make a comeback!

potpot2 likes this.
  16. oj88

So does drinking coffee. A lot of folks are still spooked by the first version of the ADDA. The revised ADDA made it clear that it's just focused on handheld mobile devices.

17. Leon21

Leon21 Active Member

Not sure if you're being serious putting drinking coffee on the same level as putting on makeup.

18. oj88

Touché.

19. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

for me its business as usual. only when you're infront of the traffic lights is where i stop for while using my phone.

20. ericb

ericb Active Member

ang tanong... may hinuhuli pa ba?