ADDA: Anti-Distracted Driving Act

Discussion in 'General OT' started by rbenzon, May 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

IMG_1931.JPG IMG_1932.JPG

I just got this clip from Lazada just recently because the suction cup that came with the dashcam would fall off from time to time. Based on the diagram above, does it mean that this placement of the dashcam is not allowed?

#61 bugs, Jun 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    hitme64 likes this.
  2. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

Yup, they'd probably flag you down for that

hitme64 likes this.
  3. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

ADDA will resume JULY 6, 2017.

4. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

You'll have to move that to the back of your rear view mirror. Don't ask why so because that's what it says so. You don't want to end up paying up front everytime you get caught.

Besides we dont actually have to see what our dashcam captures anyway, so they say.

bugs likes this.
  5. bugs

Yup moved it back to the suction cup, & placed it back again behind the rear view mirror. Might be a kotong magnet.

hitme64 likes this.
  6. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

In the revision, I understand that dashcams were excluded from the implementation. You can theoretically have it installed right smack in the middle of your FOV and they won't even lift a finger..... not that you should.

Some dashcams, including mine, has a back-facing camera to capture the whole cabin, side and rear windows. That's the only reason why I placed it below the rear view mirror.

7. bugs

Yeah, that's what I understood as well from the revised ADDA. The MMDA traffic enforcer might have a different understanding though, so I just stayed on the safe side.

8. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

you have link / copy of that 'revision'. image from previous page shows dashcam. reason i ask, wife's dashcam also has cabin facing camera. thanks.

9. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

potpot2, Theus and 4p0se like this.
  10. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    I'm looking for a mount for my iPhone so that I can use Waze or Google Maps to navigate my way through a foreign city. Any recos for a good brand/type? Attaching via suction cup would be most ideal, not those vent types that'll just block my aircon....need some hot air during winter, not hot air in the discussions....

Kindly point me to the thread that tackles the technology, not the politics of "directed driving" if this isn't the one. Thanks!

11. hitme64

My son, who is driving for only his second month as a non-pro, had a wonderful and epiphanic conversation with a traffic enforcer in Sta Mesa:

He: Bakit po me violation ba ako?
    Him: Meron. Bawal yang rearview mirror mo.
    He: Aba bakit po?
    Him: Me tv sa loob mismo ng salamin.
    He: Ah, tawag po dyan rearview monitor. Embedded sa mirror na po yan.
    Him: TV pa rin yan. Bawal.
    He: Wala ho channel yan. Sa likod po ung cam mismo makikita harap ng kotse sa likod.
    Him: Dami mo satsat. Pagsabi ko TV e TV yan. Bawal.
    He: Ok po. Multahan kung gusto niyo. Akina po ticket.
    Him: ( Saw the decal) Teka taga Crame ka ba? Sige ok na. Rearview cam nga ata yan...

suavecito, Roman, Godfather and 10 others like this.
  12. Leon21

Leon21 Active Member

What a hilarious and, at the same time, infuriating story! What's the minimum educational requirement for a traffic enforcer? I'd like to think a high-school graduate would be able to discern such things.

hitme64 likes this.
  13. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...sarap sapakin ng tsinelas. Hmmppp!

Sunil_K and hitme64 like this.
  14. hitme64

^In reality, they do know the law and the regulations that go with it. Nagmamaang-maangan lang sila. Baka makadilihensiya, you know...

On a side note, some 30 or so traffic enforcers have already been disciplined by MMDA since ADDA resumed, from neglect of duty to incompetence to gross ignorance to palpable misdemeanors et.al.

Sunil_K likes this.
  15. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

I've always used Mountek mounts that use the CD slots. I have them in all my cars, been using them for years. They are durable and the most stable.

Suction cups (which are used by my 3 dashcams) somehow always fall at least once a month. I shudder at the thought of using a suction cup mount, and then it falls off while I'm driving, with my phone attached...

Anyway, the Mountek CD-slot mount is still available in Amazon :

https://www.amazon.com/Mountek-Univ...6&sr=8-2&keywords=mountek+cd+slot+phone+mount

But there are plenty of other brand alternatives now, including this one from Anker :

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Univer...00599998&sr=8-17&keywords=cd+slot+phone+mount

16. tapnclick1940

tapnclick1940 PhilMUG Addict Member

happened to me a couple of times. what i use now is a suction cup mount with a sticky rubber. the kind that gets sticky after you wash it with soap and water. i even have a hard time removing the damn thing :ROFLMAO:

Godfather likes this.
  17. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North

Thanks, that looks nice! But what if I want to use the CD to play music (like old Linkin Park CDs, God rest Chester's soul)?

greta87 likes this.
  18. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

^ Yun nga lang. :p Personally kasi, I can't remember the last time I played a CD.

That said, ironically, I like cars now that have that CD slot, just so I can use the Mountek on it.

When I was in LA last month, I rented a Chrysler Pacifica, and it didn't have a CD slot, so my Mountek was useless. Had to buy a cheap phone holder (AC vent clip-on type) at Target. :)

Mykolant and greta87 like this.
  19. GilGrissom

GilGrissom Well-Known Member

I am using the Neutron-S. A magnetic mount solution. If you don't mind sticking something on your dashboard. I stuck mine with some Sugru. I also bought bigger metal plates because the one that came with the mount was too small when hidden behind a case.

https://www.amazon.com/Bungajungle-S-Universal-Magnetic-Magnetically-Shielded/dp/B00P5MC5OC

It's not the most effective solution but it looks clean and inconspicuous.

But since I tweaked my 2015 Mazda 3 to display android auto I have not been using my mount when I drive anymore. I just plug it in and hide my phone. All interactions with my phone are done via the android auto interface. You really only need your phone in your car for navigation and music anyway. Everything is done via voice command and this is when you really appreciate the machine learning in google assistant.

#79 GilGrissom, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  20. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member