ADDA: Anti-Distracted Driving Act

Discussion in 'General OT' started by rbenzon, May 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

So as not to litter various threads (Dashcam, Traffic, etc.) with off-topic posts about this new law, let's keep all ADDA-related posts here.

Last Saturday, I called my wife and said, "Honey, I'm cheating." (Silence.) "Cheating LTO." :) "I'm calling from my Apple Watch, (both hands on the steering wheel).

Well, technically, that's not cheating, since hands-free calls (car was stationary at the time) are allowed AFAIK—which makes sense, since that is no different from talking to a passenger—unless she's #2. ;)

Here are the FAQs: http://lto.gov.ph/latest-advisory/317-republic-act-10913-or-the-anti-distracted-driving-act.html

2. roland28

roland28 Member

even rosary is not allowed to put in rear mirror... but why! tsktsk...

should MAPSA be removed in the intersection of buendia/makati ave? drivers are distracted with them LOL

3. jcsantamarina

jcsantamarina Buzz Ambassador
    Staff Member

Ok din ba mag comment dito kahit hindi Roland pangalan ko??? LOL

shutterbug, greta87, Sunil_K and 4 others like this.
  4. coolpix32

coolpix32 Active Member

For me, no problem with ADDA. The intention is to enforce discipline among motorists to not be distracted while driving. Now, it's the guidelines that throws this whole thing off. I use Waze almost all the time. I use a phone holder mounted midway (lengthwise) of my dashboard. I find its location just right as it keeps my eye on the road while checking for directions. It's not in my direct line of sight as I still have a full view of the road. Having to place my phone where my A/C vent is located will make me look down. Now, isn't that simply wrong?

shutterbug, greta87, potpot2 and 4 others like this.
  5. Kingmaker

Kingmaker Active Member

Senator Ejercito :

https://www.facebook.com/SenJVEjercito/posts/1591167437559931

Godfather likes this.
  6. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

amongst the most affected:

[​IMG]

:D

7. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

I'd rather go Uber than be ADDA-mized!

Btw there'll be a seminar here for all things ADDA. I could go Adda-da-da about all things ADDA and end up in their most revered blacklist. I also am bombarding Atty LizADDA with tweets about ADDA that am sure to get blocked later on.

My most irreverent question has been "Does being distracted by a fellow female driver constitute a violation thereof?"

lennon0131, greta87, Sunil_K and 4 others like this.
  8. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

I felt like a drug dealer when I threw my phone to the floor of the passenger seat when I remembered the law. LOL

greta87 likes this.
  9. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

I want AR. Where art thou Google Glass?

The law makes sense. Yes, it will break some of my not-so-good driving habits but I concede that it's for the common good. What irks me (and probably everyone) is the blanket ban of even the most useful navigation aids within line-of-sight. And then they came out with 'clarification' that the same devices could instead be installed below the dashboard line.

"No sir. You can't have your smartphone/nav computer anywhere on the windshield. But feel free to hang it on any of the air vents and whatnot. And of course, you're very much encouraged to affix it on the instrument panel ... you know, the area where warning lights, speedometer, tachometer and other non-important stuff about your vehicle's health is located. It's all good."

greta87, Godfather and raypin like this.
  10. VicB

VicB PhilMUG Addict Member

Most other countries' Hands-Free law is meant for the driver to have both hands on the steering wheel & not just one (which I am sometimes guilty of). As mentioned above, it's the guidelines that have screwed things up.

Rather than keep things simple (as long as the car is moving, you should not be holding your phone/tablet/e-reader/etc.), other things were added to the law (line of sight, placement, dash cams, etc.) which makes enforcement very dependent on the enforcers' interpretation of an incident.

The enactment of this law also shows how distant our government officials are from reality. Were there any public hearings on the law? Were driving / car organizations consulted? Were there any trials made on a limited basis to get a feel of how things will work?

As the law is now enforced, you could get caught just because you were adjusting your aircon or car radio since your hand was off the steering wheel.

greta87 and Godfather like this.
  11. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

They went way beyond what the law said.

First world countries have their phones mounted on the dash. I don't see why we can't.

I'd like implementation of turn signals on jeeps.

12. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

kung bawal sa dashboard pwede kaya dito :LOL:

[​IMG]

greta87, VicB, Sunil_K and 7 others like this.
  13. ransom

ransom PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm almost certain the individuals behind this law are chaufered around the metro and haven't actually driven a vehicle in a looooong while.

greta87, VicB, Sunil_K and 1 other person like this.
  14. DON2003

DON2003 PhilMUG Addict Member

no eyeglass while driving, no sunglass either,
    no wiper allow even raining, wait for the rain stops before you can drive again,
    no rearview mirror allow, detach it from the windshield,
    if the windshield broke while removing the rearview mirror, that’s ok as windshield has to be remove too,

everything and anything in front of the eyes of the driver should be removed, else it cost 5000 pesos.

if you have long eyelashes, sorry but you have to trim them too, false lashes are not allowed either,

what else pa po,

I WILL JUST WALK!

15. GilGrissom

GilGrissom Well-Known Member

Is this the Filipino "pilosopo" attitude showing? I think everyone agrees that there should be a ADDA law. However, like every law it must be carefully worded so as not to be misinterpreted.

Theus and gaol like this.
  16. gadgetmonger

gadgetmonger PhilMUG Addict Member

The real distractions are those gigantic video billboards along EDSA. Those were purposely built to distract you on the road!

Theus likes this.
  17. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

I know them only too well. It includes those 'info boards' supposedly being used by MMDA to notify motorists of traffic conditions. Instead of actually helping, they're monetizing them to run ads. If you follow international standards (whether defined or implied), digital signages meant for motorists should be amber to preserve night vision, NOT full-color.

18. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Hard to believe that such common sense would come from him, but I have to agree.

As usual, the LTFRB once again causes the most confusion to motorists, enables traffic enforcers to fleece the public, all the while coddling and protecting buses, jeepneys and tricycles. As I quoted in the Dash Cams thread, coffee is also illegal according to Lizada.

LTFRB says BAWAL NA RIN ANG KAPE

Joint Administrative Order 2014 No. 1 covers both public and private vehicles. Drivers who will not clear their dashboards will face P5,000 penalty and the vehicle will be impounded.

Lizada said this order also prohibits drivers from doing make-up or drinking coffee while driving or in temporary stoppage -- acts that fall under reckless driving.

"Dito nahuhulog yung kung iinom ka ng kape, nagme-make-up o kumakain. Dito ho siya under sa reckless driving. 'No person shall operate a motor vehicle on any highway recklessly,'" she said.

----------------------------------

Uminom lang ako ng kape, reckless na? Reckless na kaagad, ha ate? What about water? What about juice?

Sige na nga, beer na lang.

jcsantamarina and raypin like this.
  19. jcsantamarina

jcsantamarina Buzz Ambassador
    Staff Member

The mediocrity and stupidity and lack of common sense makes me cringe.

wulf likes this.
  20. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member