Action Camera Thread

Discussion in 'Videographers' started by ice, Oct 9, 2014.

1. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm starting an "Action Cam" thread for all those cameras that's NOT a GoPro...

HTC goes into the actioncam market, with the RE - Gizmag

[​IMG]

2. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

Can the iSight be included on this thread? I'm pretty sure the Mac's camera has caught more action than any other "action" cam ever produced. :p

3. Verbl Kint

Verbl Kint Member

Not sure if it qualifies as one given the lack of shockproofing, waterproofing and mounts for helmets.

The only other notable brands I could think of are Sony and Contour.

4. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

I'm using the SJ4000, the poor man's GoPro, which I like calling the NoPro Zero. I like the fact that is has builtin LCD long before the Hero4 Silver. And now at P4,200, or something like 5k for the wifi version, must be why GoPro was forced to come up with the entrylevel Hero at around 6k. :)

[video=youtube;xnHDu-oW7_Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnHDu-oW7_Y[/video]

5. ice

I've seen positive reviews on the SJ-4000, but mainly thanks to its price...

Review: SJ-4000 Action Camera - Digital Life, The Straits Times

[​IMG]

6. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

There's also the JVC Adixxion line of action cams but the ones I usually in malls, it's either the GoPro or the Sony Actioncam.

7. ronjet

ronjet PhilMUG Addict Member

How many sj4000 do we have? I've seen many brand or distributor? of sj4000. Read some amazon's reviews also that there were copies or fake sj4000. How do we know if its the real one?

8. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

There's an "SJ4000 Users Philippines" group on FB. You might wanna check out the dealers discussed there.

9. josecarlo1129

josecarlo1129 Active Member

I have no idea on how to mount this stuff as easy as the GoPro. I did the hang-gliding in Rio De Janeiro and easily attached my GoPro to record the action. Saved some bucks.

I'll stick with my GoPro and it's system.

10. ronjet

Thanks bisdak. Will check that out.

11. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

[​IMG]

This entry-level GoPro will cannibalise other action cams that are cheaper.

The new HERO is built directly into a rugged, waterproof housing and features high-quality 1080p30 and 720p60 video, 5MP photos up to 5 frames per second, QuikCapture, SuperView and an Auto Low Light feature. It’s also waterproof up to 40m, which is pretty impressive.

12. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

GoPro is really threatened with the budget actioncams. Now, let's see how the SJ4000 makers will respond. It's P4,200 now (at least the non-wifi version), around 5k for the wifi version. And LCD builtin, unlike the entrylevel Hero where I think you have to spend 4k for the BaqPaq. If SJ will drop price to 3k, then it will be fun. Long live competition!

13. dinxcarin

dinxcarin Active Member

tested SJ4000 non-wifi on the streets of Singapore. Check this out. Audi and Video test. No filters.
    Filmed around 2pm.
    For me for a backup cam, it's good enough. You just need to do a little color correction lang.

[video=youtube;dAIcPFh9yxg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAIcPFh9yxg[/video]

14. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

^ That's good color for the SJ! Mine are off. Too tamad to do color correction. You do colorcorrect in iMovie or some software?

15. ronjet

Oh.. So that was color corrected already? Quite impressed with the quality of the video.

16. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

Here, the SJ4000 w/o WiFi fetches around $99 and the GoPro Hero entry-level cost around $129. They are about on-par with features and specs so I'd say you're just paying $30 more for the brand, stability and deeper waterproofness.

I don't have any action cams yet but i'm planning to get one this year because of lots of ideas popping in and out of my mind. Besides, it can double up as a dashcam for me.

17. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

GoPro entry-level has 720p 60fps, but non on the SJ4000., which is really nice when doing slowmo. But SJ4000 has builtin LCD, which is really helpful. Can't imagine shooting w/o LCD. But that costs 4k for the GoPro if you want to add a Baqpaq. If SJ4000 will have 60 or 120fps even just at 720p, then I'll stop lusting on the GoPro. :)

18. ronjet

What are the main differences between the gopro hero entry and sj4000? Is it just the lcd for the sj4000 and 720p 60fps for the gopre entry? How about the included accessories?

19. piedad

piedad Well-Known Member

GoPro hero users, how many times have you taken something which ended up being bad because it was not centered or aligned to the subject properly? Am debating whether to get the SJ4000 for its built in LCD and wifi connectivity or the better image and video quality of the GoPro.

20. ice

Based on experience...

You can always edit/crop your video (I use iMovie) to center/frame your subject... Only issue is if video quality is bad...

IMO, the GoPro 4 Silver/SJ4000's LCD is useless if you're using a monopod to take video's of yourself... or if your camera is mounted somewhere...