Accessorizing a 15" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by HardCharger, Dec 26, 2009.

1. HardCharger

HardCharger Member

Hi All!

I'll be getting a 15" MBP as a gift come January and I want to know how to properly protect it and what I should get for it.

Recommendations on sleeves, screen and body protectors, bags, etc. would be greatly appreciated as I want my MBP protected and functional.

I prefer protection accessories that are hardly seen but do their job effectively.

Hope to hear from y'all on this soon.

Best regards and Happy Holidays!

2. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

first of all, save for an applecare;)

3. HardCharger

HardCharger Member

I also availed of Apple Care already.

The unit is a 3.06GHz with 8GB RAM and 500GB 7200rpm HD.

Asides from the aforementioned Apple Care, I opted to go with iWork as well.

I read in another thread that a neoprene sleeve is all I need for protection, what kind would be nice?

Any other accessories I should be getting? Remote? VGA adapter? Speakers? External HD?

4. bhoyetjumpay

i good sleeves is a must, my sleeves is re-versible contour design

i recommend you to buy external hard drive for backing up purposes thru time machine

5. HardCharger

HardCharger Member

But I've read in some reports and some posts here that Time Machines aren't that reliable and that you loose everything once it crashes or something.

In any case, any external drive recommendations? I've been told and have read that it's a must have item.

Where'd you get your sleeve? Might want to get one while I'm waiting for the MBP to arrive :rolleyes:

6. ishg

ishg I'm female!
    Staff Member Supporter

You might be referring to the Time Capsule. That's Apple's external hard drive + router solution. And yes, it is known to conk out after several years.

It's good to backup via Time Machine. It's software that already comes pre-installed on your Mac. You can use any external hard drive, although, the Western Digital My Books and Passports are available in Mac-formatted versions. Good brands to check out would be WD, Seagate, and LaCie for me.

7. HardCharger

HardCharger Member

Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, you are correct that it was Time Capsule that konks out.

This being the case, what would be the appropriate size for me to get as an external drive? 1TB? If so, what are the reliable brands?

8. noelgarcia

noelgarcia Member

Aesthetics: moshi clearguard, palmguard, and a good bag

9. bhoyetjumpay

my stock hard drive is 250 gb while my dedicated time machine hard drive is 500 gb. i preferred also the 2.5 mm hard drive since it is very handy and usb powered.

your time machine hard drive must be higher on your stock hard drive.:D

10. ishg

ishg I'm female!
    Staff Member Supporter

I prefer Western Digital. I've had good experience with all their drives, none of them have failed me so far.

If you're going for a portable drive, the My Passport drives come in 160, 250, 320, and 500GB capacities. Make sure you get a backup drive with a higher capacity than your internal drive. In my case, I used to use a 320GB My Passport Essential to backup my 250GB MacBook drive. You need not worry about losing disk space since Time Machine automatically deletes the oldest backups once it detects that the external disk is full.

If you just plan on leaving the drive at home, I'd suggest the My Book series. I have the latest model My Book Essential 1TB. I bought it because I partitioned 250GB for other files and 750GB for Time Machine. I was going to get the older, 640GB version, but the price was not that far off, and someday, you will NEED the extra space.

Hope this helps!

11. bhoyetjumpay

@hardcharger

if you really want 1tb, i saw western digital my passport essential se at digital hub v-mall, 12+++ pesos.

i recommend western digital, i've had also good experience with this drive.

12. ronmtorres

ronmtorres Member

if you are buying an external hard drive for back-up only, i suggest you just get a 1tb WD my book essential. buying a portable one would be an overkill and a "waste" of money. i don't want to say waste because it really is not; i just could not find a better term.

get a portable one for your everyday needs. for me, i have a 1 tb WD mybook essential at home and a 320gb buffalo portable for my everyday use. HTH.

13. HardCharger

HardCharger Member

Thanks All!

Very helpful info!

I'll look into the Western Digital 1TB drives like you guys recommended.

Anything else I should invest in?

What about sleeves? Any recommended brands?

How best to carry it around? Backpack? Computer bag? Messenger bag?

14. bhoyetjumpay

sleeves? mine is re-versible contour design:D

crumpler bag? mine is combover:D

15. HardCharger

HardCharger Member

What about cooling pads, how important are they?

Necessary or convenience?

16. ronmtorres

ronmtorres Member

i'd say they're more precautionary. no one would want his mac overheating! i'm getting one myself for this reason.

17. HardCharger

HardCharger Member

Yeah, I've heard and read about overheating MBPs.

That's why I'm thinking about it.

My boss and colleagues use cooling units with their MBPs so together with what I read, I reckoned that it's something I should look into.

Anything else worth a look?

What about lugging it around? Messenger bag or back pack?

18. jlerojo

jlerojo Member

Buy one. I almost never used my MBP without the cooling pad, I turn it on when I feel my MBP is getting warmer then turn it off when its cooler. There are a lot of affordable cooling pads at cdrking. . .

19. ishg

ishg I'm female!
    Staff Member Supporter

I use a Belkin Cooling Pad from Digital Hub. My MacBook doesn't get hot anymore, as compared to before when I just used to put it on top of my bed.

I suggest you take a look at Digital Hub V-Mall for bags. They have various brands. I like the Crumpler, Belkin, and Speck ones.