ABT FTP SOFTWARES

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by iceprincess, Nov 5, 2005.

1. iceprincess

iceprincess Member

I constantly send and receive video files from abroad either thru UPS or the post office. i wish to save on delivery costing and custom taxes. I heard about transferring video files thru the net using an ftp-dedicated software and i want to explore this option. Can u recommend a software which i can use? besides being economical, is it a safe way to transfer video files? will this affect the resolution/quality of the video? if anyone out there knows anything about this issue i'd be very thankful.

2. shooter

shooter Member

pls try vidilife.com

3. butchm

butchm Member

Hi Iceprincess,

This is only feasible if you have a very fast internet connection. You can setup your mac as an ftp server and they can upload directly to your computer. The sender can also ftp to another location and you can download from there.

If you want the data encrypted on both ends, you can set up a Virtual Private Network, but it will make the transfers slower.

Hope this helps,
    butchm

4. iceprincess

iceprincess Member

Hi butchm

i'd really like to explore that option but frankly i dont know where to start. have so many questions like do i need to buy a software for this? and when u said i can "use my mac as ftp server" does it mean i need to change some settings or install anything? :uh-oh:

to shooter, thanks for the reply. i checked out the site but i think that only works for sharing videos. i outsource editing jobs from the u.s. and we usually make use of the post office or ups to send external drives. its sooooo very costly and our customs office here have no consistency at all when it comes to custom taxes.

if this ftp works, we can save alot in time and money.

5. michaelkenji

michaelkenji Active Member

you can try http://www.yousendit.com.

you could upload files up to 1GB to their servers and just send the link to those who need them.. by the way, the files are kept only for 7 days before being automatically deleted.. :)

[Edited on 11.6.05 by michaelkenji]

6. Eric

Eric Member

1st Option: Use FTP software:

Transmit - Shareware
    CyberDuck - Freeware
    Fetch - Shareware

All have drag-and-drop functionality. You just need to login to an FTP server, provide your username and password and the directory where you'll upload/download your files.

2nd Option: Provide FTP Access

If you want to provide FTP access from your computer, open System Preferences and click Sharing. Click Services and turn on FTP Access. You need to coordinate with your friend as to the time you'll enable this service from your Mac or just leave your Mac running 24/7 on a broadband connection. The FTP address will be displayed below the list of services window. Just provide a specific upload/download folder for your files.

Best Option:

Purchase a .Mac account. ;)

HTH

[Edited on 11-6-2005 by Eric]

7. iceprincess

iceprincess Member

butchm, shooter, michaelkenji and eric...

Thank you for helping me out...you are all angels.:smooch:

Will try out all your suggestions and see which one is really suited for both me and my partner's needs.

Thanks again!