About SMC Fan control

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by mk, May 29, 2008.

1. mk

mk Member

I was speaking with my friend about temperature and he told me that smc fan controll can wear out your fan? is this true?

2. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

Have been using SMC since I got my MacBook in March and I haven't had any problems.

Mostly I just increase the default speed whenever I'm in a hotter ambient temperature (Non Aircon room). I don't have it running at Max RPM. Mostly, I like how it allows manual control over the fan so that I can increase the RPM at a lower temp (60C vs 70/80C) than it normally would by default.

A counterpoint to what your friend said is that higher sustained operating temperatures can put more strain on more of your MacBook components (CPU, RAM, HD, etc) and shortening its operating life. I'd rather pay for a fan replacement than any of the other things I mentioned.

3. mk

mk Member

thanks! I agree with that actually... I don think it would harm the fan unless you constantly have it on high... I downloaded it and I think I'll only mostly use the adjustments when my temp goes above 63 for extended periods

4. ice_man

ice_man Active Member

just don't use it constantly or leave it overnight. read some stories on the net about leaving smc overnight while setting the fan to around 4k and it destroyed their fan in less than 2 months.

Personally, I don't use SMC, I tried a couple of days ago and it just gave me problems.

5. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

what problems did you experience?

6. ice_man

ice_man Active Member