5.1 Speakers for iMac

Discussion in 'Other hardware discussions' started by armel, Dec 12, 2010.

1. armel

armel Active Member

Will 5.1 soeakers work on an iMac? If they do, would you guys have a recommendation on what 5.1 speakers are good to buy for an iMac? I use my iMac to watch movies and listen to music.

2. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

3. armel

armel Active Member

@ijingo. i found that thread using the search function. the speakers recommended there are 2.1. I did consider Bose Companion 5 but it is extremely expensive for a 2.1 that simulates 5.1. Thanks for the heads up though.

4. alistair

alistair Member

If you want the best quality 5.1, your best bet is to connect your iMac to a dedicated HT receiver or a home-theatre in a box (HTIB) with optical in. You'll need a mini-plug to TOSLINK adapter or cable like this one.

Logitech also makes or used to make 5.1 computer speakers that accepted optical in and featured a built-in DD or DTS decoder.

Of course, sound quality is all up to the listener.

5. armel

armel Active Member

@alistair thanks for the input. Do you happen to be familiar with the Logitech Z560? Any thoughts on this? I am not an audiophile, really, so a basic system would do at least for now that I am starting.

6. tabsweet

tabsweet Member

armel, I recommend you take time choosing and try listening to other brands. there are actually a lot to mention, but my choice will be from top to bottom .
    top being the highest.

1. BOSE companion series 5 - for quality listening with sleek design. not because i have one but from my experience. superb high definition sound produce by the system.
    2. Harman Kardon 5.1 - tried this in showroom! sound great but a bit pricey.
    3. Klipch 5.1 - high definition sound with a bit reasonable price
    4. Altec Lansing 5.1 but you have to check the specs. ask for the single jack insert - low budget with good quality
    5. Logitech- sounds great in computers

Orchestra is one good way to check if the quality is good. crisp and base must match.

its for you to experience.
    good luck!

7. alistair

alistair Member

Except for putting BOSE up on top, I'd agree with your list 100%. :)

@armel This is why I said sound quality is all up to the listener.

Some people (like myself), like how Harman Kardon components sound. Some people would find them overly 'warm' and lacking in bass 'punch'.

Other people would find Klipsch too 'sharp' and 'bright', with a little more punch. Others like 'bright'.

Same goes for any other brand: Altec Lansing, Logitech, etc. Each speaker (or component) brand will exhibit some characteristic 'coloring' or personality.

The best way to decide is to audition them personally to see which one fits your taste. Otherwise, you'll just have to rely on reviews from the Web.

All else being equal, though, personally I'd go for Harman Kardon or Altec Lansing.

But since like you said you're not an audiophile (and neither am I, I just like to read and pretend), then seriously, if you find a good deal on a Logitech 5.1 system then you'll probably be happy! Just don't go reading any negative reviews about it (or any glowing reviews about more expensive systems) after buying. :)

8. v8designstudio

It might interest you to try Focal XS. Its a 2.1, but mannn... you'v gotta hear it to believe it.
    And add to its glorious sound is a glorious look.

9. tabsweet

tabsweet Member

I totally agree with alistair on harman kardon thing. that is the reason for me to use Harman Kardon receiver together with acoustimass system for my home theater. but given a chance to burn more bucks, I'll be shifting to a more dynamic sound produced by Bang. but that will remain a dream for now.

yah! maybe for a start you can go for logitech. me during collage days for my PC I started with Altec, until i tried searching for my taste and budget. never realized that there are a lot that are missing, so the moment i started using Bose, I can actually close my eyes and listen to concert CD and almost feel you are near them. even in my Bose Ipod dock that I use in my Imac. and when I go to bed and still wanted to listen to ambient music, I use my Bose Noise reduction headphone.

Try to check and listen very well to the sound quality of every speaker. don't just rely on how much volume it can reach.
    its for you to check and choose the best that fits your needs and budget. :)

Focal? is that Focal well known for Car Competition series?
    if yes, big chance! coz they are really good in high definition sound also.
    A bit pricey I guess. Don't really know the price of this. just tried listening from a cuz's car. :)

#9 tabsweet, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  10. armel

armel Active Member

Thank you very much for your input guys. I have been auditioning a bunch of speakers lately. Yes I am not going to rush buying. :) I just wish that the sales people in the stores I visit are a little bit more knowledgeable about their products. It's frustrating talking to them! The search is not yet over for me. I am also considering 2.1 speakers as I have discovered awesome sounding ones along the way.

11. lsalapare

lsalapare Well-Known Member

To achieve maximum hearing satisfaction, you also need to plug in your desired 5.1 to a sound card..

iMac + Sound Card + Klipsch Pro Audio 5.1

12. eadwired

eadwired New Member

this thread might be a bit old but I just want to share something... I am not really Bose Fanboy .. and yes they are really just hype and even audiophile society disregard them as a top choice. But for Personal Computers and Desktops, man you gotta listen how it simulates to 5.1 .. it will blow you away. No sound cards needed. Never expected Bose will have a great product line for the Digital Multimedia.

I just got my Bose Companion 5 and enjoying these little speakers on watching movies. Just don't buy them if you are always listening to rock music, but if you consider them for classical music, movies and games .. YES they can do a lot better!

Well, again if budget matters to you.. there are a lot of choices out there..

OT: Bose Companion 5 has only a USB for PC connection also you can connect a headphone or an ipod/mp3 player through its 3.5mm jack in the console. I wonder if there is a way to convert this USB to RCA or 3.5mm jack .. :)

13. qwerty_88

qwerty_88 New Member

i agree The Focal is really great man. it just looks awesome and sounds excellent. You could check them out at Audio Visual Driver 4th floor of Shangrila mall. I've heard them from a friend. I'm getting mine next week when stock arrives as the salesman promised.

14. lsalapare

OT: Is there a Focal 2.1 that has no iPod Dock?

15. qwerty_88

qwerty_88 New Member

i think there's only one model. you can use the dock or plug it in the computer either way. it can also be used to sync your ipod with the computer.

16. eadwired

eadwired New Member

I just happened to be in Shang last friday. I saw one unit on display at Audio Visual Driver.. You might have to check it.. I never got the chance to listen to it.. I might be tempted to buy.. heheh! just had my Bose Companion 5 last two weeks.

17. balibago

balibago Member

If the concern is to hear good music/sound effects, I would recommend taking the "audio path" instead of the "computer path". What I mean is that instead of buying a 5.1 system in one box, start out with two decent speakers and an entry level surround sound receiver, put more money on the speakers than the receiver. Most of sound quality comes from the speakers.

The main reason for this--a good pair of speakers will outlast any computer you will have. You may already be on your 5th computer, but your original speakers may actually sound better than the way they did the day you took them out of the box. Obsolescence does not affect audio equipment as much as it does computer gear. I hear 20 year old entry level (at that time) systems that will beat the crap out of any 5.1 system they put out today. And audio equipment doesn't have to be that expensive really.

Start with a good pair of speakers and a surround sound receiver. Then a center channel speaker. Then two rear speakers. It may take you one week, it may take you a whole decade, it doesn't matter, since good audio equipment (again, good doesn't equate with expensive) can keep you satisfied for a looooong time.

#17 balibago, Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  18. lsalapare

I agree on this and for starters, I'd suggest getting Audioengine A2 monitor speakers..;)

19. wuyckie

wuyckie Member

Where can i find focal xs 2.1 nowadays? Any recommendation for imac speaker?

20. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

got ours at AVDI Shangri-La. but that was 5 years ago.