4gig RAM in late 2006 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by bedanmick, Mar 22, 2009.

1. bedanmick

bedanmick Member

here s the spec of my MBP

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP24

I am not sure if this is the Sta Rosa or not. I have the 15inches 2.33ghz. It came stock with 2GB of RAM. I see that Apple states the max of 3GB for this machine and from what I read here and on the internet, the machine will take 4GB, but only show 3.3GB or so due to the Intel chipset limitation.

I recently installed 4GB in it and I am really puzzled at my machine. Not only does it show 4GB in "About This Mac" and in the System Profiler (which from what I read is normal) BUT it also shows 4GB in Activity Monitor.

Now from my reading the Activity Monitor should show the 3.3GB, but mine shows 4GB.

I have two thoughts on the issue. One is that possibly a firmware or software update along the way raised the limitation and it hasn't been mentioned.

Two is that there was a silent hardware revision and that some of the machines that are supposed to be limited to 3GB are actually truly capable of 4GB.

My question: Can someone explain to my why my machine shows all 4GB in use when it should be limited to the 3GB?

Thanks.

2. ice_man

ice_man Active Member

hmmmm.. this is interesting. WIll try this on my friends mbp. Which was mine before.

I think we have the same specs as well. 2.33ghz 2gb and 160gb HD?

3. rockophoria

rockophoria Active Member

well have you checked the "currently used" memory in the activity monitor from the "available memory"? then add them up does it still equivalent to 4GB?

in some early and mid 2007 MacBooks which can only support 3GB of RAM even in matched 2x 2GB modules are also detected the whole 4GB even shown in the activity monitor.. though when you check the available memory and subtract the used memory are only equivalent to 3GB..

check it out

4. bedanmick

bedanmick Member

@ rockophoria
    it shows used: 1.97GB and free is 2.03GB

@ice_man
    yeah, same specs as yours. So I am not even sure if this is santa rosa or not.

5. rockophoria

rockophoria Active Member

well that says it.. you have 4GB usable, lucky you!

6. ice_man

ice_man Active Member

I think Santa Rosa versions can use zoom in and zoom out by pinching the trackpad like in the iPhone.

Wow, this is good news, will ask my friend to test his unit. Great find. hehehe

7. skinhead

skinhead Active Member

if it's 2.33ghz core 2 duo then i believe it's a "merom" MBP.

these are " penryn" base MBP with multi-touch functions, Santa rosa Macbook Pro comes in 2.2/2.4/2.6ghz CTO 15inch and 2.4/2.6ghz on the 17inch but cant do multi-touch.

from mactracker :)

#7 skinhead, Mar 22, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  8. bedanmick

bedanmick Member

I only use my MBP for browsing and for multimedia purposes. I dont know what got into me and I upgraded the RAM. Maybe, because I am feeling that my MBP is old already and just need something new for Rafael (my MBP's name) hehe. So nothing seems changed in speed since I dont even think I am fully using the 2GIG before.