3 months delay for repairs of Apple products and other gadgets (non-apple)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Quest4dgoodlife, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Quest4dgoodlife

Quest4dgoodlife Active Member

The long wait
    If your Macbook Pro or some other laptop breaks down, expect a delay of up to three months if you intend to wait for genuine replacement parts to be acquired from official channels. Yes, three long months. This is because of issues regarding the issuance of import permits after the Bureau of Customs implemented the National Single Window system.
    This scheme, according to Customs Commissioner Rozzano Rufino Biazon, is one where permits and clearances are issued electronically and sent to the Bureau of Customs via the network. The goal is to avoid the use of fake, forged or recycled paper permits.
    Here’s the problem: The NSW is designed to accommodate a one permit-per-shipment issuance where permits should indicate the specific quantity in the shipment. On the other hand, the procedures of the National Telecommunications Commission (which must authorize the importation of electronic devices used for communications, computers included) allow for a blanket permit, which do not specify the quantity per shipment.
    “This inconsistency is the reason for the delay in customs clearance,” Biazon said, saying that a solution was being worked out by both sides.
    As many as 40 government agencies that issue import permits for various products are electronically connected to BOC for electronic transfer of information and documents. But one challenge that remains is to harmonize their systems.
    Until that happens, you’ll have to wait for replacement parts from official retailers or repair centers. Or source them from the gray market if you can’t wait.—Daxim L. Lucas

source:
    Biz Buzz: Huge gov

P.S. not sure if this is the right place to post this. Dear Mods, you can move this if it is in the wrong section. Thank you.

2. zoo101

zoo101 Well-Known Member

hi. thanks for sharing. one question though, why would this affect only repairs and not, say, electronics in general?

3. Netskipper

Netskipper PhilMUG Addict Member

^^ It's because they are charging taxes and duties on the replacement units/parts. Consequently, Apple and/or its resellers are unwilling to pay for these taxes and duties since they aren't sold but used to replace broken units.

In my case, its an Ipad. Service centers here cannot repair ipads so they send a replacement unit. It's stuck in Customs for 2 months already because of this new policy.

4. zoo101

zoo101 Well-Known Member

@Netskipper
    that explains a lot, thanks. i know realize why i had to pay so much for a lens i had repaired in Japan. the repair was not that expensive but the customs duties/taxes was.

5. ll_esquivias

ll_esquivias Well-Known Member

this is a major dilemma happening to ALL Service Centers. I have more than 30 units "waiting" to be released by BoC. It all started March of this year and continued upto know; there are heresy this is caused by the Election period. Has PNoy knew about this NEW scheme? This delay normally happens during the Christmas season and its ROUTINARY for the past 10 years; an Apple insider informed that they are the ONLY one being harassed; other players like Samsung, Blackberry, HP etc are not experiencing this problem.
    Maski sino po ang ilagay natin sa Customs kapag bulok ang sistema, bulok pa rin ang kalalabasan. Kaya walang asenso. If Comm. Biazon broadcasts this issue beforehand, then people will be GREATLY aware and will have second thoughts if they will send their units to Apple Singapore.

6. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

Glad to know di tinamaan replacement ng battery ng Air 11 ko recently.

7. Don Pao

Don Pao Well-Known Member

Reading this thread tsk tsk . i was planning to send my ipad mini for warranty . i guess ill keep it muna but sadly if this is true its unfair imo. i hope Somebody from the top fix whatever needs to be fixed

8. Lakbay888

Lakbay888 Active Member

Yikes.. I have a Mac Mini 2012 for Motherboard replacement pa naman.. Ill pull it out from Senco muna para magamit naman. :(

9. quevedj

quevedj Member

I guess supply was already normalized since I got my MBP replaced with a new battery just a few days only. I sent my MBP to an Apple authorized service provider on Monday and got the battery replaced today (Friday).

Turn around time of battery replacement is 4 days only.

10. ciren7

ciren7 Member

I checked the status of my Ipod Touch last week and they said it's still being held at Customs since May. It's been more than a month now since I had it warrantied :(

11. DON2003

DON2003 Well-Known Member

walang logic kasi, you paid for taxes & duties when you bought the unit, its totally fine to charge taxes & duties again for replacement units coming in as it might be a hole for gray unit but what about the units that returned? they should refund the tax frankly, but they are not willing to refund it, how can you do business this way,

12. ciren7

ciren7 Member

I called in to check the status of my iPod Touch. They said it came in today but unfortunately, one of the buttons is not working! (I didn't bother which one since uminit na yun ulo ko). They said they're gonna order again which will take 1-2 months..again! I'm so disappointed. Bakit naman ganun. They didn't even bother checking it before sending it over :(

13. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

This happens sometimes. Be glad the shop tested the replacement unit before you went over. I had a defective ipod touch replaced before under warranty, and when I went to pick up the replacement unit it also had a problem, so it was sent back for replacement. When the second replacement unit arrived, it also had something wrong with it and had to be replaced as well. The third replacement unit came in and it's still running smoothly after 3 or 4 years now. Of course back then, you only had to wait a few days for the replacement unit.

14. ciren7

ciren7 Member

Oh, I hope that doesn't happen to me. I hate the waiting part though :(

15. rockion

rockion Member

guys does these means kasama dito ang mga phone repair by the telcos? particularly iphones? kasama ba ang mga iphone repair sa pah hohold ng customs?

may prob pa naman ako sa iphone 5 ko, umiinit na sya everytime i charge it. don't tell me that I need to wait about 3months for the replacement phone T_T

16. memphis

memphis Well-Known Member

^just to give you an idea, i left my iPhone with Globe for replacement because of power button problem. Turning 2 months next week already. I'm thinking this is the reason of the long wait.

17. rockion

rockion Member

ouch!!! T_t