27" iMac knocking sound from the back

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jcruiz, Jan 8, 2011.

1. jcruiz

jcruiz Member

hi guys, so i just got an imac 27" a week ago and after some time using it, i noticed there was a knocking sound that's coming from the back of the unit. at first i didnt bother with the sound, but after using the mac for longer hours it's kind of annoying now. I'm not sure if this is normal with the newer macs. i'd like to know your insight on this cause if this is a hardware failure, i'm getting it exchanged right away. thanks in advance

2. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

That's not normal, the only noise you should hear from your Imac is a quiet whisper of the fan and the occasional hard disk hum. I suggest you take it for inspection to a Apple service center

3. jcruiz

jcruiz Member

i'll take that advice, i'll back up everything from time machine first

4. macdrive007

macdrive007 Well-Known Member

IIRC, you have a 7 day replacement warranty. After that is standard parts warranty.

iMac: knock! Knock!
    User: who's there?
    iMac: apple cares
    User: apple cares who?
    iMac: apple cares for apple lemons like me, so hurry! :p

5. jcruiz

jcruiz Member

hmm. bad vibes. i checked my receipt. i bought it last dec 28. hmmm. i don't really mind if they don't replace my unit. i just want the knocking sound to go away. i want to find out why it does that sound and how it happened. i'll try to bring it tom but with its current size, i just get lazy when it's time to bring to a service center. it's 27" and it's so heavy. hahaha!

6. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

it's still under warranty so don't fret too much. I've had a dozen or so Apple products that i've purchased over the years (ipods, iphone, macs, accessories), I've only been unfortunate to have one go completely bonkers, an ipod touch. 3 months after the sale, i had some problems with the playback function. had it sent to an apple service center (powermac), they quickly analyzed it as a factory defect; replaced it with a new unit after a week or so, no questions asked.

7. jcruiz

jcruiz Member

update: finally had the free time to get my mac serviced. They said it was a possible hardrive problem but they'll diagnose it further tom for full details. The lady at the service center was telling me that i needed to wait for 3 days for diagnosis and another 7 days max for the replacement if ever the drive's really defective. I was a bit furious at first so i texted sir charlie, he quickly responded and the diagnosis will only take a day or two. Then come monday they'll process the order for a new drive.

I am very pleased with sir charlie's service centers and the friendlyness of his staff and how quickly they responded to a disgruntled customer.

On a side note, im a bit dissapointed because not a month has passed and it already showed symptoms of a hard drive failure. I guess not everyone gets a perfectly built mac.

Still, im happy with how digital walker responds to these kinds of situations. I hope i get my mac sooner. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Devilgodspeed

Devilgodspeed Member

ok lng ba khit hindi nyu nabili un imac sa Power MAC? they can replace it w/ a brandnew UNIT?

9. jcruiz

jcruiz Member

um, i think so. kasi i bought my macbook pro from digital walker last last year then when it was having problems, i brought it to powermac green belt since it was closer to my condo at that time and they just asked for the receipt so they could check if my laptop's still under warranty. the fixed my laptop regardless of where i bought it without any charge

10. miguel_salcedo

miguel_salcedo New Member

My iMac is a 21" and it also had a knocking sound.... the reply i got from "switch" in alabang was that it was probably caused by a loose connection in the headphone jack at the back... i took their word for it as it seemed to be coming from that side of the monitor... lower right hand side in the back... should i be worried and bring the unit in for checking?

11. jcruiz

jcruiz Member

Update: got my imac last wednesday. The people there said it just needed a reformat. Now, my imac's broken and the install disc's disk utility can't even detect the hard drive. So i was right all along that the hard drive needs replacement. Now to traverse the traffic from edsa and walk around greenhills carrying a big and heavy mac to get it repaired. What a dissappointment. Hassle

Get it checked narin or repaired. Libre lang naman. It wouldn't hurt to be make sure your mac is in pristine condition