21.5" Stock iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Escritor, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Escritor

Escritor Member

Hi guys,

I'm about to buy a new desktop computer which I will be using for the following:

Extreme Usage on:

1. Work Related Report (Microsoft Office programs, Adobe Photoshop)
    2. Internet (research, research, more research)

Medium Usage on: Since I am already working my gaming time is reduce to 2-4 hours/daily

1. Games (Diablo 3, Online games such as Guildwars, WoW)

I am considering the iMac for a change, since I have been using an assembled Deskstop computer for more than 10 years now.

Now my question is, based on my Usage is the STOCK 21.5" iMac (I believe is also the most affordable iMAC in their current line-up) is more than enough to satisfy my needs in terms of Versatility and Speed?

or should I go for the higher specs of 21.5

2.7GHZ & 1TB & HD 6770

vs.

2.5GHz & 500GB & HD6750

2. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

the base model is very much can handle your requirements;) you can feel the power of mac over windows machine and you'll never turning back nor going back:D

3. benzng

benzng Well-Known Member

just wait for the next iteration as its due to come out in a few months.

4. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

Yeah wait for a newer version of iMac.

1. Smudge issue - this is very unacceptable
    2. Upgrading the HDD is a pain in the a$$ (or to an SSD should you opt to go this way)

5. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

That model is very capable and should be able to handle all of the requirements you wrote. As for upgrading your hard disk, you can always pay authorized service centers like Digital Hub to install a new hard disk for you for around 600 pesos. No problem.

However, Cybersniper does have a good point, you better read up on the smudge issue which is prevalent in most current iMacs before deciding.

6. 650h2

650h2 Active Member

7. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

8. Escritor

Escritor Member

Hi guys thank you very much for that quick reply, I am not that techy when it comes to hardwares but please correct me if I am wrong

If I should go for the 500GB INTERNAL HDD (BASE MODE) then if ever I would upgrade or ADD an additional HDD , that would be EXTERNAL? meaning they sell EXTERNAL HDD and the iMac 2012 model can accommodate them through a connector?

also how many external HDD can it accommodate and how much for each HDD let's say 1TB

9. kentamayo

kentamayo Active Member

Hi there, if you feel that you'll need more space in the long run, why not just get the 1TB model instead?

To answer your question though, you CAN attach an External drive through the four (4) USB ports on the back of the machine no need to worry about the keyboard and mouse since the connect via bluetooth anyway.

Just to add.. when I bought my Mid-2011 iMac (core i5) I installed Starcraft 2 and to my surprise it defaulted to Ultra graphics settings... that should be a good indicator for you ;)

10. trigo

trigo Well-Known Member

you can go for the model with the biggest hard drive. you cannot install another internal drive but you can plug in external HDD via firewire 800, usb 2 or thunderbolt (future). you will be limited to how many free ports you can plug in your external HDD. you can use octopus usb hub if you need more.

11. Escritor

Escritor Member

problem with the 21.5GHZ 1TB Hard Disk model is the price difference, based on our local store that would be approximately 16-17k higher than the base model. I dunno if that is really worth it, although I understand that the speed of the processor and video card is also faster.

But I just thought that if I'll be needing more space then i'll just buy myself a 1TB external HDD, I think that would be more cost effective right? but if you guys are recommending that I should just go for the higher model of the 21.5GHZ then maybe I will consider that.

@kentamayo *with regards to SC2 Ultra graphics settings - were you able to play smoothly on this DEFAULT setting? thanks

12. kentamayo

kentamayo Active Member

Most of the time yes, but I had to dial back a bit for it to run just a wee bit smoother. :)

13. voidnothings

voidnothings Member

I suggest hold off your purchase for at least a month bro. An update is coming for the same price :)

14. trigo

trigo Well-Known Member

that is the most logical choice, get an external drive. for 10k you can get 3tb! would suggest you go for the firewire 800 model.

15. Escritor

Escritor Member

I'm sorry but the next question would be a newbie question heheh

If I will be using a firewire 800 model external HDD would it have any effect when I plug it in a WINDOWS based laptop/PC? I'm sorry but I really don't know the difference of the ordinary ext. HDD to a FIREWIRE 800 model

lastly

can you guys give me an idea on how much would it cost me if I will also purchase an SSD in authorized apple re sellers outlets? (I mean together with the 21.5GHZ unit)

thanks in advance

16. lsalapare

lsalapare Well-Known Member

Firewire is faster than USB 2.0 just make sure your laptop has a firewire port. :D

17. kentamayo

kentamayo Active Member

Unfortunately not a lot of laptops outside the MacBook Pros have Firewire 800, so your choices here are very limited. That said, USB 3.0 HDD's are abundant with transfer rates close to that of FW800 the caveat here is that no Mac will ever support USB 3.0 natively in the forceable future though the will still be read in USB 2.0 Mode. I guess the question now is whether you really need the FW800 or not since most USB 2.0 are decent enough anyways.

18. 650h2

650h2 Active Member

19. Escritor

Escritor Member

I noticed that the only difference between the 21.5" 2.7GHZ and 27" 2.7GHZ is the screen size

is it really worth it to go for the bigger screen? can you share any insights about this?

also is it true that you can connect your ipad2 and iphone to it and have the same screen? if yes through what kind of software or cable or bluetooth? sorry I'm totally a newbie in the apple world