2020 MBP 13”

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by denpacs, May 4, 2020.

1. drewbarrymost

drewbarrymost New Member

Most prolly, 2021 na refresh ng macbook line up

Jeffrey004 likes this.
  2. Autokratorissa

Autokratorissa New Member

Hi, can you (or anyone really) please walk me through the process of buying from the apple education store? I'm planning on using a cousin's / friend's ID to get the student discount. Not 100% sure what I'll need though. I'm planning on buying my first macbook and I'd be grateful for any advice. Thanks!

Edit: assuming pala na it's your first time buying and you haven't submitted an ID before. I also still have access to my university e-mail. Do you think using that would be enough to get the discount?

#42 Autokratorissa, May 26, 2020
    Last edited: May 26, 2020
  3. Jeffrey004

Jeffrey004 New Member

I havent tried it as well. Pero I changed my apple music subscription as "student" then I had to put my email and univ at UNiDAYS. Then thats it, I did not submit any ID yet. I think that would be a good first step. Then when checking the pricing for students, just go at the bottom of the page at the 'for Education > Apple and Education > scroll down to Save on Mac and IPAD" part there. I was able to proceed to checkout without any additional requirements. But I did not proceed with it yet since Im waiting for the MBP 2020 13" to be available. So I think you can checkout too with students' discount. Not sure if theres gonna be additional requirements once order is complete. Lets wait for other who were able to purchase as student before. I called Apple support too few days ago, she just asked for my university, and model/specs I want for MBP then sent me a quotation right away with the option to proceed to checkout without asking for any documents. :)

4. Shinahashirome

Shinahashirome Active Member

I agree that the rumor mill messes up your decision making! Anyway, purchase decision should always be dependent on what is your use case and what value can it give to you now than "future proofing" it. So buy what you need for now and at the most 2 years from now, beyond that then you have already probably achieved your ROI for the machine (regardless of the specific metric you have used). Besides even if Apple is using binned CPUs for their Macbooks, the thermal limitations will neuter most High End CPUS due to 1) Apple's prioritization of Silent operation over a well cooled CPU (Don't get me wrong, I like this 90% Of The Time specially when doing audio recording, but when you're doing something CPU intensive, I wish it would run cooler); and 2) Intel's Turbo Boost doesn't always achieve its advertised speeds.

TL;DR: Buy what you need for now.

5. Jeffrey004

Jeffrey004 New Member

Are there any battery life differences between the base mode and the higher-end model of MBP 2020 13"? Thank you :)

6. Autokratorissa

I'm itching to buy the 13 in MBP. Anyone know where I can get it for a good price? BosJapShop has it for 74k. Is that the lowest I can buy it for?

7. Jeffrey004

Jeffrey004 New Member

I feel you pero I will buy directly from Apple parin. Im like checking Apple Ph everyday. ANG TAGAL!

8. Autokratorissa

Haha same, I try checking every few days so I don't go crazy.

9. Jeffrey004

Jeffrey004 New Member

How I wish it will be available in the next coming weeks in terms of orders since its gonna take time for the delivery here in Ph. New term/semester will be starting this July/August. It would be great to use a new laptop for that.

10. Shinahashirome

Shinahashirome Active Member

Reviews in YT say it's roughly the same, around 10 hours of use for light browsing.

Jeffrey004 likes this.
  11. 74LS00

74LS00 New Member

Looking at buying online overseas then use a freight forwarder to ship it here. Do you guys think it’s a smart idea?lol it’s taking soo long to release in our local market.

12. Jeffrey004

Jeffrey004 New Member

I just called Apple PH Sales support. No timeline yet. Im not sure how long its gonna take and how much considering baka maharang pa sa customs. Im just convincing myself to just wait kasi baka mapabili ako sa 16" haha! then I just read a lot of article about ARM Macbook that is confirmed to be announced this WWDC. ANO NA! hahaha! ill just have to use this Dell laptop for another year i guess. :)

13. marvinp

marvinp Active Member

It could be the NTC certification holding up the release. With the lockdown, nothing happened for almost 3 months. Just my 2 centavos.

14. nwinter

nwinter Active Member

If you need the laptop now and you're willing to go to the hassle of shipping from overseas just to get it early, probably better to just pick one up from the gray market and save yourself all the trouble. For example, AJT from Greenhills has new stock of the 2020 Macbook Pros. They even sell it with a slight discount from the online price.

15. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

I was bent on getting the $1799 model once it becomes available in PH, but with all the ARM chips and 14inch refresh news, along with the fact that cafes/coworking spaces won't be open for sometime now, I guess I'll postpone my purchase. If you're a DLSU student or alumni, the PowerMac inside the Taft campus offers discounts at these pricing rates:

[​IMG]

They contacted me and the 2020 models will probably follow the same pricing as stated here, but my source can't confirm when will it be available. She said that optimistically, it will arrive late July.

16. 74LS00

74LS00 New Member

I’m also considering the 16 inch. But the size isn’t backpack friendly and I’m not really a fan of big laptops. The ARM rumors are something to look forward to, but I’m not sure if what they will initially release is a “Pro” level computer. There are also lots of porting that needs to be done, so I’m still betting on an x86-64 powered machine as a daily workhorse (for now).

17. 74LS00

74LS00 New Member

Thanks for the tip! I actually tried contacting them but they said that it is out of stock already :(

18. nwinter

nwinter Active Member

That's too bad. I actually bought from them the mid-range Macbook Pro with the 10th Gen i5 when they restocked early this week as I need the upgrade asap due to WFH. Waiting for the stock to become available from local auth resellers is not an option for me as most of them are giving an estimate between 4-8 weeks.

Heard from AJT that other companies are also getting stock from them due to the unavailability of newer models from auth resellers.

19. 74LS00

74LS00 New Member

Nice! I’m actually looking for the same spec. I have the same dilemma, need the machine asap for work. My banged up 2012 MBP is a pain. How’d you get a unit? Did you reserve before going to their store?

20. nwinter

nwinter Active Member

I just monitored their FB page for updates. When they finally posted that they have stock, went straight to their store to get one. I did text them to confirm the availability of the unit before going there. Not sure if they really do "reservation"... after all, nearly all posts in their FB page are asking for reservations. My feeling is that they just sell to the first buyer.