2019 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Adarna, May 22, 2019.

1. imart

imart PhilMUG Addict Member

^ GST refunds do not apply to purchases made through the Apple online store

2. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm based in Singapore... So I cannot refund the GST

But, Education price is cheaper... + the free Beats
    I also get a S$70.00 rebate for choosing to use my DBS Card

I also don't think you can claim GST if you purchase under the Education pricing... You are required to study in a Singapore tertiary school.

habagat and yoh_hectic like this.
  3. Don Pao

Don Pao Well-Known Member

Correct no gst refund for online purchase or educational purchase.

4. habagat

habagat New Member

I replaced my 8 year old mac few weeks ago. (13', touch bar) with 3 year apple care. Im impressed, but still adjusting to the keyboard. While the free Beats is the bomb, hanep yung speakers nya. Like sound surround haha.

5. deucejunkie

deucejunkie Active Member

Hi guys. Has anyone by any chance transacted with this seller recently? They have a physical store in Greenhills, and their prices are the lowest I could find so far. I've been thinking about upgrading, even though my 5-year old mid-2014 rMBP 13in 128GB is still serving me well

P.S.: Any idea po kaya the minimum price I could resell/trade-in my old MBP for?

. Screen Shot 2019-10-04 at 6.39.52 pm.png

#45 deucejunkie, Oct 4, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  6. neldeles

neldeles Active Member

Someone mentioned him couple months ago. My reply might help. hth.

deucejunkie likes this.
  7. deucejunkie

Thank you! I might go to him once I’ve finally decided to get the entry-level MBP 13in.

Magnonobena muna ako for an issue-free unit. I’ve been using Apple products since 2010 but so far I’ve only ever purchased AppleCare once - for a watch. I’ve been lucky with my portables/devices, but I fear na ubos na swerte ko...

8. deucejunkie

Gave in and got the MBP 13in 128GB machine from BosJap store in GH.

First impressions: I don't like the keyboard travel, too low/short :( I wish I could import the keyboard from my mid-2014 into this machine.

USB-C hub - what do you use/recommend guys? So many options to choose from, but I'd welcome a recommendation from Philmuggers who've actually used them. Would it be safe to purchase one from Lazada/Shopee? Thanks!

Also, cases - though I've never used a case for my portables before, the lady at the store almost got me to buy one. Does anyone here use a case for their Macbook?

9. max_Moon

max_Moon Active Member

Apple is rumored to go back to scissor switches for the next round of MacBook Pros beginning with the 16in model which is supposed to be announced later this month. I'm just waiting for those to come out before I pull the trigger to upgrade my MBP.

As for the USB-C hub, stay away from the expensive Anker USB-C 3.0 hub because it interferes with the WiFi and Bluetooth signals for some reason. I just use the Apple digital AV dongle since it doesn't interfere with the wireless signals. Whatever you hub you might be considering, just read the user reviews first for the issue I mentioned above.

I never use cases or skins with any of my laptops especially the MBP because the aluminum unibody actually functions as a heatsink for the internals. Covering it up will just negate that.

deucejunkie likes this.
  10. Shinahashirome

Shinahashirome Active Member

The UGREEN hubs are reliable, you can buy one in Lazada. You can also try the aukey ones as well

deucejunkie likes this.
  11. deucejunkie

I did read about the rumoured back-to-scissor keyboard updates coming soon, but I think the 16-incher is too huge for me, and the 13in model may not get this update until spring next year, so I just went ahead and got the 2019 entry-level. I'll just drool with envy and chastise myself for not waiting when the newer models are rolled out.

Thanks for the heads-up about the interference problems that some hubs/dongles pose. Will make sure to read the reviews. The USB-C digital AV Multiport reviews have bad reviews and its Php3890 price isn't exactly cheap.

Thank you. Will check these out. Have you personally used either brand?

12. Shinahashirome

Shinahashirome Active Member

tried (more of borrowed) both from some people I know. They say it still works until now

13. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

I have a couple of Aukey usb hubs. 4 years and still working like new despite of lots of abuse.

Seven Leaves likes this.
  14. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

I bought a couple of used Macbook Airs and a brand new 15 inch 2019 Macbook Pro from him. He's legit. He also buys old Macbooks so you can try but I suggest just sell your unit yourself, you will get a better return.

Seven Leaves likes this.
  15. deucejunkie

Ah yes, I'll try to sell it to people outside of GH. Thanks for the tip!

16. deucejunkie

Sorry to be a pain, guys, but would people kindly post the actual variants of the USB-C hubs that they're using right now that don't have the wi-fi interference problem? Some have suggested brands like Ugreen and Aukey, but there are a lot of variants to choose from within a brand, and I just want to make sure I am getting the right variant/model.

Thanks in advance!

17. ogie_gall

ogie_gall Member

check the reviews of ugreen because i saw a couple of reviews on the shoppee and lazada app that they have the wifi issue also

18. marvinp

marvinp Active Member

19. deucejunkie

20. marvinp

marvinp Active Member

That's good to hear. Although some of the reports also mentioned that the issue returned after upgrading to Catalina. All our Macs are still on Mojave.