2019 Macbook Pro 16”

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by denpacs, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Pipay

Pipay Member

Any recommendations for a good case/protector? It fits my 15" Bookbook case but I still want to buy a hardshell case just in case I decide to bring it in the office. TIA!

2. snipes

snipes Active Member

Those who have bought the 16-inch have you encountered these problems?
    • Coil whine
    • Loud fan even if in idle
    • Screen ghosting/smearing
    • Cracking/popping sound from the speaker
    • Inconsistent keyboard backlight

3. OhYeah

OhYeah Active Member

PMC already have stocks of the 16” MBP. Is worth buying from PMC or abroad nalang? planning to get the 1TB version and it cost 157,690 for cash

4. souffles

souffles New Member

I've been using the 16-inch for a little over a month now and have experienced the coil whine, loud fan (but mostly when I'm running a lot of programs or compiling), screen ghosting, and the cracking/popping sound. However, I've definitely had a better experience with this machine versus my 2016 MBP. I'm super happy with the performance so far, and the esc key is a godsend.

5. snipes

snipes Active Member

6. yakisoba

yakisoba Member

Local stores like Beyond the Box and Powermac still doesn't have the 16" hopefully it's available before the month ends

7. OhYeah

OhYeah Active Member

Got my 16" i9 MBP from PMC Lipa 3 days ago.

yakisoba likes this.
  8. yakisoba

yakisoba Member

PMC- Power Mac Center? How much did it cost?

9. OhYeah

OhYeah Active Member

Yup. 165k+ srp but got it for around 157k because of the 5% discount for cash transaction

10. rebiscoco

rebiscoco Active Member

PMC MOA and PMC SM North Edsa already sells the 16" MBPs. They just haven't displayed it yet. Same prices as the 15". I asked PMC MOA 10th January and PMC SM north edsa 11th January.

11. yakisoba

yakisoba Member

How much? Does it cost 142k for the base model?

12. rebiscoco

rebiscoco Active Member

yes. same price on apple ph online.

13. snipes

snipes Active Member

Macs May Be Getting 'Pro Mode' Option to Boost Performance, According to macOS Catalina Beta
    Monday January 13, 2020 12:31 pm PST by Juli Clover
    Apple's Macs could soon have the option for a "Pro Mode" that boosts performance according to data found in the macOS Catalina 10.15.3 beta.

Released in December, the beta contains code discovered by 9to5Mac that references an optional Pro Mode that appears to override fan speed limits and energy saving restrictions to improve performance. Code in the beta says "Apps may run faster, but battery life may decrease and fan noise may increase" when Pro Mode is turned on.

[​IMG]
    As with Do Not Disturb, Pro Mode is a temporary option that is set to turn off the next day after being enabled, likely to make sure Macs are running in optimal conditions.

The code found in the beta seems to suggest Pro Mode is coming to the 16-inch MacBook Pro, but MacRumors has also received an anonymous tip suggesting the Mac Pro will also get a Pro Mode option that will override maximum fan speed software limits for improved thermal performance.

More information on Pro Mode should be available when macOS Catalina 10.15.3 sees a release, provided this is the update where it will be introduced.

OhYeah likes this.
  14. snipes

snipes Active Member

Review from a photographer's point of view.

Sadly Apple Aperture, my preferred photo editing app, is not discussed as Apple has not updated since October 2014 and removed official support for it from macOS Catalina. Fortunately I was able to get Aperture 99% working again with Retroactive.

#74 snipes, Feb 2, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  15. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Didn't realize that the 16" MBP I ordered from Apple Store SG would take 15 days to be ready. Either non-stock spec (32GB RAM) takes that long to build, or they put my Mac under 14-day, anti-virus quarantine. ;)

Qin Zhi and snipes like this.
  16. ProdigyIcko

ProdigyIcko New Member

Hi,

Any leads on store that offers the cheapest MBP 16" with 2.4 i9, 64GB of ram, and 8GB of GFXCard? Thank you!

17. snipes

snipes Active Member

Why do you need 64GB of RAM and 8GB of VRAM?

Are you a music producer? Are you doing multiple virtual machines?

No store stocks it in the Philippines. You'll need to order it from online Apple Store PH.

18. honeycured

honeycured New Member

Anyone having problems with their usb type c peripherals? All my old 3rd party type c accessories (type c to lightning, type c usb hub) are no longer working. The usb hub just leaves my macbook’s screen flickering, then mistakes it for a keyboard . The usb type c. Kind of makes me miss my old 13” 2017 macbook pro.

19. DenzDaniel

DenzDaniel Member

Hi guys I just wanted to share my mini unboxing video and light review of the 16" MBP! Grabe!

jayparalejas likes this.
  20. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Active Member

Nice POV, did you notice higher fan speeds on the 16?