2019 Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by yoh_hectic, Oct 30, 2018.

1. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

2013 Mac Pro was announced 4 years, 10 months, 11 days ago. What do you think will be new in the 2019 Mac Pro?

I am hoping for all 2019 announced parts. :)

2. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

It's finally here guys, the definitive Mac that high-end professionals have been for waiting for years. That and a new super duper (really really expensive) display.

https://www.apple.com/mac-pro/

I have to admit, I haven't been excited for a Mac in a long long time. The price of the monitor though is pretty crazy.

"The new Mac Pro is launching this fall with a starting price of $5,999. That’s with a spec vastly below its maxed out exciting new features: you get 32GB of memory, an octa-core Intel Xeon CPU, Radeon Pro 580X graphics, and a 256GB SSD. Alongside the new Mac Pro, Apple today also introduced a matching 6K monitor, the 32-inch Pro Display XDR, whose starting price is a similarly lofty $4,999."

The separate stand cost 1k usd, mind you. Hehe

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/3/1...-redesign-new-specs-features-photos-wwdc-2019

#2 Salaryman Ryan, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    hitme64 and infiniteloop like this.
  3. infiniteloop

infiniteloop Active Member

I really want this mac. Upgradable and powerful for years to come.

Pero Sa presyo nyan dapat yun box pwede ko tirahan at matulugan hehe

4. Salaryman Ryan

Yeah, I might consider this to be my next Mac in the future. So exciting, I feel like the time Steve Job introduced the very first PowerMac G3 back in 1999 hehe.

5. snipes

snipes Active Member

[​IMG]

Looking forward to this

Salaryman Ryan and hitme64 like this.
  6. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

That is one very expensive cheese grater.
    F5862685-91C4-4441-B0CC-6ACDA1F14621.jpeg

#6 hitme64, Jun 4, 2019
    ericb and porkypork like this.
  7. Salaryman Ryan

Haha why was it shot in the toilet?

8. makinao

makinao Active Member

Because haters gotta hate?

9. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

While this is tad expensive for consumers, I understand the price point when used for professional work, esp in the arts & media industry. Hopefully my work invests in one of these for me to be able to experience it (we have three of the Mac Pro trash cans here). :D

raypin likes this.
  10. jologs

jologs Active Member

No mention of NV GPU support. I guess there's still some bad blood between Apple and Nvidia. It's the professional market that loses in all of this especially graphics, video, imaging and AI applications.

11. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...it delivers in the only metric that matters: performance. From 310% to 520% faster compared to the previous gen Mac Pro.

It is THE workstation to use.

#11 raypin, Jun 4, 2019
    Qin Zhi likes this.
  12. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Am not a hater.
    OXO-Good-Grips-Box-Grater-.jpg

Am a grater.
    ;)

Wait, I get it now—the design inspiration: Mac and Cheese! :)

Juice, ericb, Qin Zhi and 2 others like this.
  13. snipes

snipes Active Member

It's beside it. :)

And I did it for comedic effect.

My use case is for an i9 iMac with 5K or 6K display.

So haters might hate. Graters, cheese grate. :D

hitme64 likes this.
  14. Paulo del Puerto

They're making the Mac Pro grate again.

15. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mmm.....yup....the other MAGA.......Make Apple Grate Again.

hitme64 likes this.
  16. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

I don’t mind having Radeon Vega on my machines (and on my gaming PC), they’ve been doing great lately. The only advantage of Nvidia for now is RTX/Ray Tracing, which hasn’t been fully embraced buy most companies.

Lastly, video and digital graphics are more CPU dependent than GPU to render images, that’s why the Apple Afterburner is actually a dedicated strong CPU just for rendering. ;)

#16 warmgreentea, Jun 4, 2019
    hitme64 and raypin like this.
  17. jologs

jologs Active Member

Oh, my comment wasn't intended to take anything away from Radeon Vega. My point was, since Apple is driving home the "360-degree" accessibility and configurability of the new Mac Pro with their marketing, it makes sense that professionals are given the option to use graphics cards from whichever vendor of their choosing. Modern NV GPUs have been totally locked out since Mojave.

Speaking within the context of professional applications for which the Mac Pro is likely to be used, CUDA GPGPU is mature and well adopted, and a proven ecosystem with major professional graphics, imaging, video, and scientific computing applications and already delivers class-leading performance and feature sets. BTW, Apple Afterburner is not a CPU but rather an application specific FPGA accelerator for 8k video decode. It's very likely that this accelerator adds a hefty chunk to the Mac Pro's price since FPGAs can get very expensive.

About, real-time ray tracing, this is bleeding edge tech so it will naturally take some time for the industry to adopt it. Regardless, RTX is set to be a game-changer for Maya and 3ds Max with the upcoming Arnold renderer, dramatically speeding up workflows for 3D modelling and animation.

On to the topic of AI, Nvidia's cuDNN is the industry leader for deep learning libraries...and so on.

It's no surprise there was a clamor for MacOS support for NV cards from the professional community leading up to the launch.

#17 jologs, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    hitme64 likes this.
  18. snipes

snipes Active Member

NVidia has a bad track record as an OEM of Apple.

NVidia breaks NDAs.

NVidia hardware often forces Apple to do product recalls. Both embarrassing and expensive.

NVidia cannot fulfill contracts on time.

Yes, their hardware is nice and all but would you want to work with a company with a track record like theirs?

19. snipes

snipes Active Member

With VAT the base Mac Pro + XDR display without stand would cost about P638,000.

This would be equivalent a Power Mac that costs P308,149 back in 2000.

hitme64 likes this.
  20. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

I won’t be able to understand the fanbase for these machines. I know most of those in the arts, graphics and engineering fields clamor for these behemoths because of the work they do. And usually it is their companies that are the ones who get these for them.

To someone who simply wants the same machine at home, it’s like buying a new Toyota Vios (entry-level at that) in CASH to use it for buying pandesal at the store next to your house. Literally, it’s big, it’s beautiful and the best, but it’s likely to end up as a conversation piece in the living room.