2018 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yoh_hectic, May 13, 2018.

1. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

2017 Macbook Pro was announced 11 months, 1 week ago. What do you think will be new in the Mid 2018 or Late 2018 Macbook Pro?

I am hoping for all 2018 announced parts. :)

2. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan Well-Known Member

Yeah, according to the community at Macrumors.com there is a big chance Apple will be refreshing their notebooks again. Hopefully they fix many of the big issues of the latest MBPs.

yoh_hectic likes this.
  3. Ghibli

Ghibli Active Member

Since this was the earliest thread created for the Macbook pro 2018, I think we should consolidate the other duplicate threads into a singular thread (this being the parent thread).

Also, FINALLY. The upgrades are long due. I hope the keyboards were redesigned to be more resistant to failure. Other than that, I welcome the upgrades. The pricing however I disagree. Entry level of the touchbar variant is more expensive than the previous entry level. The new 2018 model of the 256GB 13 inch touch bar variant is priced at 114,990.00, compared with the previous version, priced at 105,990.00 when it was released.

aikicodesurfer likes this.
  4. ronnel0918

ronnel0918 PhilMUG Addict Member

5. Ghibli

Ghibli Active Member

6. ronnel0918

ronnel0918 PhilMUG Addict Member

The foreign exchange rate is not helping.

Forex aside, this is still severely overpriced, in my opinion.

7. Ghibli

Ghibli Active Member

Yes, I agree. People will still be buying though.

8. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Active Member

They should've upgraded the whole pro line to 8th gen. so little changes to demand an upgrade from my MBP15 2017. But hoping they would update the iMacs to 8th gen.

+1 I agree that the exchange rate made the price go up. 10k diff. did the US store adjust their prices as well?

9. Salaryman Ryan

Finally a quad core 13 inch. Something that I always wanted since 2010 haha. Unfortunately as the other folks pointed out, our exchange rates are off the charts. 120K pesos for a 13 inch Macbook Pro? Phew. Good thing I'm not posed for an upgrade for a while.

Well, to be fair to us, even the folks at the MacRumors forum are lamenting on the prices of the Apple's latest notebooks.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...9ghz-chip-32gb-ram-and-4tb-ssd.2127151/page-2

Geeez I hope not.

#9 Salaryman Ryan, Jul 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    jayparalejas likes this.
  10. Leeger

Leeger Active Member

An additional 160k to upgrade to 4tb ssd!?!?

11. yoh_hectic

$1/GB. :)

12. Leeger

Leeger Active Member

It’s actually more of a $0.75/GB, which is still expensive. Will Apple ever make a MBP where you can upgrade your own storage?

13. warmgreentea

warmgreentea Well-Known Member

He's me, still waiting for a non-touch bar 15inch model. Curious about that new more quiet keyboard though.

14. yoh_hectic

you and me both brother. upgradeable RAM and M.2 NVMe SSD.

15. Calhoun

Calhoun Active Member

I've been eyeing a top-spec 13-inch MBP for a while now (I need 512gb of storage). The new prices actually make the outgoing 2017 512GB MBP more palatable. Question is, is it worth an additional P10k for the T2 chip, True Tone and after performance? Early write-ups say it's double the speed for the 13-inch range.

If I buy soon there's still some time before local resellers stock the new MPBs. Have to wait for the benchmarks.

16. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

The big question is how does it equate to actual performance. If it's a mere 2 seconds faster in say launching an app then I'll just stick to my current 13inch w/ Touchbar.

17. Salaryman Ryan

I would think so. I'm actually in the same situation as you. I guess it depends on your needs. I want to keep my computer light when I travel but at the same time enough power to edit photos and some videos so the quad core will be quite helpful. I'm currently using maxed out BTO 2016 13 inch Pro and its a slug when editing my Sony a7R3 RAW files even in an optimised native app like Photos. The quad core should be noticeable faster.

18. jologs

jologs Member

The main selling points for me are the extra cores/threads and the truetone screen.

19. gravija_flare

gravija_flare Active Member

so disappointed that they left out the non touch bar 13" from the spec and screen upgrades!

i'm inclining to agree with what a tech reviewer said, that it's likely that the upcoming new macbook air and 12" macbook will be the only ones having no touch bar going forward...

20. Ghibli

Ghibli Active Member

$6699 for the maxed out 15 inch touch bar with 4TB SSD, 32 GB RAM, and i9 processor. Damn, that's 358,557.28 with the current exchange rate. Jaw dropping.