2018 Macbook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by yoh_hectic, May 13, 2018.

1. amieldh

amieldh Member

I agree.. personally I prefer just the Touch ID without the Touchbar on the next MacBook Pro's because I still feel a little hesitant on getting the new Air this year (wish I could still hold off haha)..just waiting for the reviews to come especially with the 3rd Gen butterfly keyboards..

2. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Active Member

mine is circa 2012 - i had resigned myself to getting a Windows laptop since I have not been happy with the recent Macbook and MBP releases. Yey.

Theus likes this.
  3. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm still on my mid-2011 MBA 13" and despite showing its age and mileage, I'm still able to do what I need to do with it. Would be great to be able to upgrade to the new Air, though.

But then the family also needs to upgrade to the new Mac Mini....

4. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

I've been watching Macbook Air reviews...

Is it just me, or all of them mentioned "a slight improvement" in speed over the last Macbook Air?

5. kenobiz

kenobiz Active Member

Because of the Intel CPU they used. Apple chooses battery life over performance.

6. p.pipster

p.pipster Well-Known Member

#choices (y)

7. Mykolant

^Hahaha! Korek!

Looks like the MBA gets top priority over the Mac mini by virtue of my current MBA being older by 4 years.

My Mac mini specs are 2.6GHZ/8GB/1TB. We still need the 4 USB ports in the back.

Now it's down to which MBA to get.

Do I need:
    • retina display? -- would be nice but.....
    • touch ID? -- not really a priority
    My current MBA is a 1.7GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB Memory, 256GB storage, Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB.

If I get the new MBA - and customized with 16GB of memory and 256GB storage, the total cost would be about PhP94,540.00!! Ouch!

Minus PhP5,000 if I manage to sell my old MBA and someone buys it.

Cmmig likes this.
  8. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Active Member

94K? Ouch indeed. Mine is core i5 but only 4G RAM and 128G storage. So I definitely want 256G of storage - baka puwede na 8G RAM?

9. pctan1584

pctan1584 Well-Known Member

Which one should I get, one with 16gb memory/128gb storage or 8gb memory/256 storage?

tonedeaf likes this.
  10. ronnel0918

ronnel0918 PhilMUG Addict Member

Personally, I'd pick 8GB/256GB.

tonedeaf and amieldh like this.
  11. amieldh

amieldh Member

I’d personally go for the 8GB Ram with 256GB SSD.

tonedeaf likes this.
  12. loudsound

loudsound Well-Known Member

Great content in this thread. I myself is torn on which to get. My Macbook Pro is 8 years old already, bought it in 2010 which is a testament to the durability of the device. It's wifi is not working anymore but I have a "dongle" plugged in the USB to still make it wireless, upgraded it to SSD, removed the DVD (to place it's HD) and upgraded the RAM. I'm now having it's battery replaced as well. Even though the battery's still working unplugged, it's starting to have a bump and have a dent at it's back. I'm currently choosing between the iPad Pro and Macbook Air but both are really pricey. Apple's pricing nowadays are on the high end and you have to think a lot before splurging hard earned money. Anyway, will still have to wait further before making the purchase. Need to curb my temptation to make an impulse buy, haha :)

amieldh likes this.
  13. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

My early 2015 MBA (maxed out BTO with an i7 processor, 8gb RAM, and now a 1TB SSD) is beginning to fail on me. Lots and lots of kernel panics. Not sure if it’s the OS or the hardware. Have downgraded from Mojave to a clean install of High Sierra, still the same. I’m about to order the new MBA with 8gb of RAM and 1.5TB SSD. Meanwhile will revert the old MBA to HFS+ and El Capitan, when it was very stable.

raypin likes this.
  14. Mykolant

So you guys reckon the 8GB RAM with 256GB SSD is the sweet spot?

That comes out to about PhP82,471.50 in Aussie money. Still a hefty bit of coin.

I visited my neighborhood Apple Store to check out the new machine and it's really a beauty! I used to like the silver finish but the Space Grey has really caught my attention.

Another deal-maker is the store offers 0% interest on a 12-month installment plan on a specific credit card that one can apply for. Once approved, there's no turning back.

I'm thinking to wait til end of the year and take my chances on the open-box or refurbished units they normally offer online.

Theus likes this.
  15. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

this.
    when in doubt, buy! (y)

Mykolant likes this.
  16. Leeger

Leeger Well-Known Member

Just reading the condition of your MBP I say upgrade now! Hehehe
    Though I would recommend the non touchbar MBP rather than air. They are almost the same price anyway.

loudsound likes this.
  17. cheddarv

cheddarv Member

Any idea when this would release in PH? My mid 2012 MBP is failing it is running so slow and I think the graphics card is going out.

18. dasaint

dasaint Well-Known Member

Definitely my upgrade but no rush. I am looking for a good deal.

19. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

It’s available from resellers 30-45 days preorder.

20. loudsound

loudsound Well-Known Member

Haha, so I've successfully replaced the battery of my 8-year old Mac :) Will see how long this battery will last, currently monitoring it's condition with a Mac application (coconutBattery - very useful utility and it's free). Similar to the other folks here, I'll probably wait after the hype fans out. Hopefully some good deals come out for these devices.