2018 Macbook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by yoh_hectic, May 13, 2018.

1. amieldh

amieldh Active Member

At the end of the day, they are a business company after all. (y)

2. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

The processor is disappointing...

I was hoping it used the same processor as the Pro.

3. Edelheid

Edelheid PhilMUG Addict Member

It puts the MacBook Air in a weird position. Unless the focus of the MacBook widens or changes in the next round of upgrades, this new Air (or Airless without a fan) feels like a concession to the market — which it most likely is. Currently it feels close to a fragmented product lineup; it's going to be tougher deciding between the MB or MBA amongst casuals. Unsure if the 12-inch sibling can continue to keep the same volume of sales mostly on weight advantage without risk of getting cannibalised by the new MBA.

I already have someone asking me if she should get a new MacBook Air or MacBook. She considers the difference in weight to be negligible. After a quick skim of Apple's own comparison site it's still relatively difficult to reach a decision and ultimately the customer is likely to consider the fact that the Air costs a little less. There's very little incentive to get the MacBook (especially when its cost wasn't lowered) until it sees an update again.

I wish Apple actually updated the MacBook alongside the MacBook Air earlier this week. Other than that, we can only wait for benchmarks to see how the different chips stack up.

Reason for edit: Embedded correct link.

#43 Edelheid, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    Anmi likes this.
  4. Edison

Edison New Member

I'll go with the Air rather than the Macbook. Newer tech and better specs in general.

5. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

^MacBook vs MacBook Air... my vote goes to the Air since it has an extra USB-C

jayparalejas likes this.
  6. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Active Member

Take note. Its not just your regular USB-C its Thunderbolt 3!

I have a MBP 15 TB and its too heavy for going on meetings and stuff, and the MacBook 12" which is very light and can take anywhere. And a Razer Core X. for me the next step is to go with the MBA 2018. for the Thunderbolt 3 alone.

The only gripe I have with the 12" is that the display has light bleed, have been through 2 display assembly change under warranty. still the same problem. I hope the AIR don't have this issue, Will wait for the display models on our local Apple Resellers.

7. Edelheid

Many casual users only use one port and most likely for charging. Both the MacBook or MacBook Air will last long enough that they can remain unplugged for long stretches of time in case they need to use a thumb drive.

I know at least 20 MacBook users that are generally content with it; it can also be said that they are the target market of the little MacBook. Now if some of them were to buy a replacement for whatever reason they'll probably go for the Air, not entirely because of the better specs or the ports but because it's also $100 less lol

You should continue seeking service for the lemon you got. Light bleed as you already know isn't specific to any one model.

Of the several MacBook users I know, none of them experience the light bleed. MacBook Pro users on the other hand have...

I'd like to think you were only unlucky with the replacements. Keep bugging them for the light bleed and at some point maybe they'll also just offer you a completely new MacBook as payoff.

jayparalejas likes this.
  8. warmgreentea

warmgreentea Well-Known Member

The way I see it, it is targeted for current older Macbook Air users who doesn't want to upgrade to the Macbook Pro or "downgrade" to the Macbook; those who are very happy with its size and form factor. Among all my friends who are Macbook Air users, they're the ones who were posting about wanting to upgrade to the newer model. Wish it was priced $1,000 entry level like the past model though. Other brands would have gone crazy by now lol.

#48 warmgreentea, Nov 1, 2018
    jayparalejas likes this.
  9. Edelheid

Yeah, it's a concession. Statistically it does have a high chance of selling really well which is why it exists, even though it potentially puts the MacBook in danger. Currently unless the individual really wants a lighter laptop, there's no reason to get it over the newer MacBook Air.

I'm curious to see how the next round of upgrades pans out. What will the MacBook be to differentiate it even further from the MacBook Air if the two chips are more or less similar in power? (Remains to be seen, but it's hard to remain optimistic. I need someone to hold me... lol)

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to getting my new MacBook Air to serve as my secondary machine in case my MacBook Pro gets sent in for another keyboard repair. I also couldn't resist the new shade of gold! :X3:

Granted, Apple quietly phased out the MacBook's Rose Gold in favour of this new Gold. But, again, there's no reason for me to still stick with the MacBook. I only wanted the cheaper Mac portable with a Retina display. I wish the decision was that easy for many people, but that was supposed to be the job of the MacBook. Now there's the MacBook Air thrown in the mix.

#49 Edelheid, Nov 1, 2018
    jayparalejas likes this.
  10. jayparalejas

Wondering the same thing. as my MBP 15 screen is perfect! Thanks for the advice. Good Thing I have applecare.

11. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

Ghibli and Qin Zhi like this.
  12. yoh_hectic

Good analysis and very fortunate of Apple and their shareholders to be in that position. As a consumer I hope the China brands will push Apple to do better. Korean brands like Samsung & LG arent spending as much R&D money into making better smartphones. Instead they are focusing on innovating parts that Apple would use.

Apple essentially gave up the bottom 80% of the market of the following products

* sub-$1,099 all-in-ones desktops
    * sub-$999 notebooks
    * sub-$799 thin client desktops
    * sub-$449 smartphones
    * sub-$399 tablets
    * sub-$279 smartwatches

The market near the top 80% would be catered with old stock that is being cleared or refurbs that were returned.

13. Anmi

Anmi New Member

Long time lurker here. All this interesting convo made want to jump in =)

IMO the Macbook Air is still going to be the mid range Apple laptop. It’s slightly more powerful than the Macbook but not like the old Air-Pro difference. I think of it like this - Pro is a 10, Air is a 6.5 and MB is a 5. Diff is small but it’s there. NonTB Pro could be dead and the lineup will be MB-Air-ProTB from small-mid-large in processing power.

What i see happening is users with high computing demands won’t have to think as hard between air and pro. the difference is too much with the quad core cpus!

I too wish the Air was close to the Pro in power than close to the MB.

Meanwhile MB and Air might take the place of that decision making until the MB is updated.

The price of the Air should be $999 or the price of the MacBook lowered. That’s just me though. I’m really second guessing my purchase :/

It’s like Apple wants to push us to an iPad and we have to pay more for a sought out Air update. We wanted an upgrade to the Air but not the price XD

Salaryman Ryan, Edelheid and Qin Zhi like this.
  14. Ghibli

Ghibli Well-Known Member

amieldh likes this.
  15. Edelheid

@Anmi We are currently in a transitional phase that will (hopefully) make more sense next year.

Even though it feels kind of off to even say this, its indeed a fortunate thing to possess AppleCare. Ideally customers shouldn't have to purchase AppleCare just to cover defects that are not user-initiated. I feel like that's part of the reason why we pay a premium in the first place.

It doesn't help that the Philippines has poor consumer protections. To use NZ as example, we don't need to buy AppleCare because we have consumer protection laws that basically give the benefits of AppleCare for free to every citizen. AppleCare+ is a different matter if you somehow don't have home and contents insurance. But it is what it is...

Moving along!

The exception is if you managed to (luckily, because there's always a chance the issue won't rear its ugly head until a year in) bring the defect to Apple's attention within your warranty period. They will make sure to shoulder any complication that arises from the faulty part they replaced your unit with. Let's take your case as example in this: You had the MacBook's display assembly replaced a month before your warranty ends; unfortunately the same problem persists except this time the MacBook is already out of warranty. Thankfully in part because Apple always store logs of past repairs, they can just skim through it and grant you an exception taking into account the possibility that they have (1) done a poor job putting everything into place or; (2) the replaced part was faulty which is always a possibility. Apple will be holding your hand throughout the entire process until your case is truly remedied.

If the defect gets brought to their attention only after your warranty concludes, there's a chance you'll be fighting tooth and nail with them and eventually feel forced to pay out of pocket.

Never stop bringing up any flawed repairs. It may be annoying and especially time-consuming to follow-up, but people eventually gets a replacement for the entire unit after their third or fourth attempts at a repair. Not trying to hint that you most certainly will, but so far they've done nothing to but shower me with recompense for my time and efforts. (And possibly even loyalty towards the brand.)

#55 Edelheid, Nov 1, 2018
    Anmi and jayparalejas like this.
  16. jayparalejas

Yes indeed, consumer laws should be revised here in the philippines. Even the simplest replacement has grey areas. As to what period is covered. 7 days, 30 days, sometimes its not offered at all.

You're lucky you're in NZ. Even if its a bit pricier to purchase apple products there. At the very least you have peace of mind, knowing that you are protected by the gov't.

Thank You for your insights. Will send my MB 12" in after the holidays. ;) cheers

Edelheid likes this.
  17. yoh_hectic

Choosing between a Macbook, Macbook Air or 13"/15" Macbook Pro is pretty simple.

Get the $999 Macbook Air without Retina display if...

* You want the cheapest Mac notebook
    * You prefer older USB and not USB-C
    * Want Magsafe 2
    * Need 8GB RAM at most
    * Need a built-in SDXC card reader

Get the Macbook if...

* You rarely use USB
    * Need the smallest screen with better image quality than a $999 Macbook Air
    * Need the smallest & lightest Mac notebook
    * Need 16GB RAM at most

Get a Macbook Air with Retina display if...

* You use 1-2 USB devices
    * Need a larger screen with better image quality than a $999 Macbook Air or Macbook
    * Need Thunderbolt 3 for faster data transfers, 5K video & eGPU support
    * Size & weight is somewhat of a priority
    * Don't need the Touch Bar
    * Need the T2 security chip
    * Need 16GB RAM at most
    * Ideal for occasional video & photo people

Get a 13" Macbook Pro without Touch Bar

* You use 1-2 USB devices
    * Don't need the Touch Bar
    * Don't need T2 security chip
    * Need larger screen with P3 color gamut
    * Need 16GB RAM at most\
    * Ideal for video & photo people

Get a 13" Macbook Pro with Touch Bar

* You use 3-4 USB devices
    * Need the Touch Bar
    * Need T2 security chip
    * Need smallest screen with P3 color gamut
    * Need 16GB RAM at most

Get a 15" Macbook Pro with Touch Bar

* You use 3-4 USB devices
    * Need the Touch Bar
    * Need T2 security chip
    * Need largest screen with P3 color gamut
    * Need discreet GPU from AMD/ATI
    * Need 32GB RAM at most

braindeadph, penmanila, gaol and 4 others like this.
  18. amieldh

amieldh Active Member

19. Anmi

Anmi New Member

it sorta makes sense the 12in wasn’t updated or it might edge the air. though it’s awkward because it still costs more.

if the 12in and air were neck and neck in results it justifies the extra $100 more imo!

still for resource hungry jobs the air can’t compete with the tb pro period. when the pro was still dual core it was easy for the air to match it but not anymore

ughhhh the air cpu has humble advantages over the 12in but it’s cheaper so air it is for me.

20. Shadowfox

Shadowfox Member

I’d like to see the MacBook Air 2018’s keyboard design (no Touchbar but with Touch ID) carried over to the MacBook Pro non-Touchbar 13-inch in a future update.

The Touchbar wasn’t pretty useful for me but the Touch ID security feature is.

amieldh likes this.