2018 Macbook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by yoh_hectic, May 13, 2018.

1. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

nope. 4-6 weeks shipping. were always behind. wanna get it on NOV 7. try in HK or SG.

upload_2018-10-31_9-31-52.png

2. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

I thought they were going to announce a cheaper laptop.

For Apple I guess $1,199 +tax is their definition of "affordable." For some of us who don't belong to the top 1%, it is called "a month's salary."

Also, the elimination of all traditional USB ports means you have to shell out more money to buy adapters/converters.

3. gravija_flare

gravija_flare Well-Known Member

too bad the new macbook air only gets dual-core macbook-class cpus.. i guess i'll have to wait again for the refresh of the non-touchbar macbook pros, hopefully they'll be upgraded to quad-core cpus and touch id..

4. Edison

Edison New Member

It wasn't the case when I checked yesterday right after the announcement. First week of Nov was the estimate I think.

Edit: So it is now Dec - Jan estimate delivery. So I guess either they don't have much in stock or it is selling well.

5. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

My daughter saw the photos this morning and she loves the new Air...

I wonder if its already on display at the Apple Store

6. ronnel0918

ronnel0918 PhilMUG Addict Member

Daddy, I want the space gray version, please. :ROFLMAO:

7. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

Not yet. On NOV 7 it will.

8. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

OK... it means will only see the XR this weekend...

But the Macbook Air finally looks like it belongs to the Macbook line...

Small black bezels with Retina Display and Butterfly keyboard... The old Air looked so out of place when beside the Macbook and Macbook Pro

9. gabobito

gabobito Member

If I were to choose 1 upgrade, should I upgrade the ram to 16gb or upgrade the storage to 512gb? I plan to use the laptop for usual word processing, surfing. Just want to make it a but future proof knowing how apps/programs get bigger in time. I am leaning towards the storage since I won’t be doing any gaming or video editing.

Any recommendations?

10. ronnel0918

ronnel0918 PhilMUG Addict Member

Well, you can always use cloud for storage. I can't say the same for memory. :p

8GB should be more than enough for office stuff. (y)

gabobito likes this.
  11. Edelheid

Edelheid PhilMUG Addict Member

For your described usage? Neither of the two really. You're not expected to install apps (think Xcode) that will warrant that much storage and your consumption habits will hardly benefit from a higher memory. 16GB of memory will do you wonders if you see yourself working on databases or spreadsheets, or if you really need to have lots of apps open at the same time. Those are typical examples that can be too taxing on a Mac.

It's rather difficult to future-proof computers, most of the time individuals doesn't end up getting any use out of a beefed-up configuration. And when the time comes that you do need a better Mac for something like work you are better off separating from what you currently have and purchase a fairly recent model. Imagine having future-proofed a 2017 MacBook Pro and then compare it to the base 2018 MacBook Pro models.

But if you are insistent on keeping the MacBook Air for a long time — we're talking upwards of 5 years at least — consider the 16GB RAM then. You can't do anything about the soldered RAM, but you can always get a portable hard drive to supplement it or rely on cloud storage.

I used to have a MacBook Air with 8GB RAM for basic things like surfing, light photo editing, and it was the perfect configuration for those tasks. 8GB already permits you to comfortably do word processing, edit photos, and surf the web without a hitch. A family member who's now using it to aid him in his school work tells me it performs like new.

Reason for edit: A little clarity.

#31 Edelheid, Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  12. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

Intel CEO indicated that the average upgrade cycle for personal computers are 6 years

WSJ report indicated that the average upgrade cycle for a smartphone is 3 years

With macOS appearing to support Macs for 10 years and iOS appearing to support iPhone & iPads for 6 years.

13. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

According to this article, it looks like the RAM is once again user-upgradable:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...-about-the-2018-mac-mini-ram-storage-and-more

Is the RAM user-expandable?

Yes. The slots are SO-DIMM slots, and are mostly accessible to the user. In conversations with Apple corporate employees, we've been told that users with a "modicum of skill" can get to the pair of RAM slots.
    [​IMG]

SO-DIMM slots on the left

AppleInsider isn't going to recommend this for all users just now because of the remark, and the current lack of clarity. But, we will be examining what it takes to get to the slots as soon as we can.

If I buy my own RAM, what do I need?

Apple says that the new Mac mini uses 2666MHZ DDR4 SO-DIMM RAM. Specifically, it looks like DDR-4 PC4-21300, non-ECC unbuffered RAM. On Crucial.com today, a 16GB kit is $146, with a 32GB kit at $292. RAM is a commodity, and pricing can vary greatly day-to-day, so if you've found this post a long time after the October 30 reveal, the prices may be higher or lower.
    This is not additive. You'll have to pull out the RAM you bought with the machine. Keep it handy, though. If you need warranty repair, you'll have to put it back in before Apple will look at it.

14. Edelheid

15. gabobito

gabobito Member

This will be my first macbook. I also noticed the price difference with non touch bar macbook pro is not much, but the 2nd gen keyboard is the downside for the mbp for me.

Yes, I do consider to use the laptop for more around 5 years. My current windows netbook is 6 years old already. I guess the ram is the way to go if I will upgrade something as the cloud or external harddrive is always an option.

Edelheid likes this.
  16. Edelheid

Just a heads-up: I can't say with confidence until someone actually performs a teardown of the keyboard, but assuming it's anywhere near the same as the keyboard present on the recently updated 2018 MacBook Pro, it's not exactly exempted from suffering the same fate. The worst part is that Apple might not include the new MacBook Air in their keyboard repair program. There have been reports of malfunctioning 2018 MBP keyboards and unless those customers have AppleCare they are getting the shaft as early as next year.

Of course, this not to say that you're guaranteed to have a busted keyboard somewhere along the way. Not everyone experiences a busted keyboard, there are some lucky customers with the 2016 MBP and in the two years that they have been using it daily the keyboard never acted up.

I wish to say I am one of them but, alas, it's not meant to be... :p

Reason for edit: Embedded relevant link.

#36 Edelheid, Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  17. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

My bad. Wrong thread...

18. Edelheid

No worries, it happens to the best of us.

19. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Apple is sure doubling down on their infamous butterfly keyboards despite of the negative reputation it gathered over the years. I guess it is cost saving measure as all the Mac portables are using it - factory tooling for it exists so might as well maximise it, I guess. I certainly would like to say that not everyone has trouble with the butterfly keyboard except in everyone I knew who bought a new Mac portable with that keyboard (and thats 11 people, which is still a small sample but 11 non the less) had to send their butterfly keyboard to be serviced one time or another.

loudsound and Edelheid like this.
  20. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...been reading a lot about the Apple or Tim Cook strategy about why Apple is raising prices across the lenght and breadth of Apple product portfolio. In sum: it is to drive revenues and profits higher by manufacturing more premium products (more expensive to produce) to take advantage of a worldwide trend: the ever-widening inequality of income. Take a look at iPhones. The iPhone is a major breadwinner for Apple. It is moving the needle up on the average selling price (ASPs) of iPhones. Reason? Market saturation of smartphones specially in developed/richer economies. How do you drive revenues and profits higher when the market growth for premium smartphones is slowing? You can’t do that with lower-priced iPhones or iPads or Watches or Macs. Put another way, Apple is making higher priced (and higher value-added) products to appeal to the richer consumers (who are getting richer), not the mass market segment (who support the lower priced products and where the margins are much lower).

It is a business decision. It is less affordable by design.

From the business point of view, it is smart strategy.

#40 raypin, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018