2018 Mac mini

Discussion in 'Mac Mini' started by yoh_hectic, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Agreed. The desktop class CPUs of the Minis will certainly be faster than the ones in the 2018 Macbook Pros. Plus don't forget the 2018 Macbook Pros tend to thermal throttle so it affects performance. The Mini on the other hand should have better cooling.

Case to point. The older 2017 Quad Core 5k iMac in practice is still faster then a fully spec'ed out 6 core i9 2018 Macbook Pro because of throttling.

2. cybersniper

cybersniper Well-Known Member

^Hell yeah! - that's why I'm still an iMac guy. Having Mac laptops is just a plus, but I can actually live without having one.

3. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

2018 Mac mini vs Intel's NUC

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3317562/computers/apple-mac-mini-vs-intel-nuc.html

Apple Mac Mini vs Intel NUC: Which one’s better?
    For mini PC fans, curiosity about the new Mac Mini is natural. (Of the things mentioned during Apple’s event, that was the one thing I zeroed in on.)

Comparing it with Intel’s Hades Canyon NUC is somewhat of an apples-to-oranges pairing, because the two systems have such different focuses. Apple is chasing professionals who do transcoding and other heavier workloads, while Intel had a laser focus on portable gaming. Which is better for you will obviously depend on what your needs are, and how much you’re willing to spend on them.

However, putting them head-to-head does make one thing very clear: How slowly products get updated in the mini-PC space. For example, Zotac’s Magnus line could be a much closer natural rival for the Mac Mini, but it still sports a 7th-gen Intel processor.

lamski likes this.
  4. legato

legato Member

Bang for buck... collated info from geekbench and everymac

i3-8100 better in performance than all previous Mac Mini (should be right? unlike 2014)
    i7-8700 is 2x performance of i3-8100

i3-8100 is 1.8-2.3x better than previous 2014 model
    i5-8500 is 2.6-3.4x better than previous 2014 model
    i7-8700 is 3.3-4.3x better than previous 2014 model

"Dear Dan, 5x sounds better, please change the numbers on the presentation." - Phillip :D

Attached Files:

#24 legato, Nov 5, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  5. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

im tempted to buy the mac mini... still deciding if im gonna get the new ipad or the mac mini... hehe

6. legato

legato Member

4K is actually fine even on older PCs. Trick is to not have to transcode anything with your Plex clients having the capability to play 4K natively.

Only real issue is when watching with subtitles, i.e. Dragon Ball Super anyone? Subtitles cause Plex to automatically transcode. The old mini is capable of transcoding x264 but cant really cope when file is x265. This new format is smaller but requires new hardware and more CPU power to decode/encode.

I'm guessing, any of the new ones will be capable as they have x265/HEVC built-in. But you'll need to get Plex pass to unlock hardware transcoding. Should make the mini work less and would be cooler.

Jury is still out on memory or SSD upgradeability.

But based on recent geekbench of the new Mini, the i7 flavor is i7-8700B, which is the soldered on (rather than socketed) version of the desktop CPU. It cant be upgraded.

7. yoh_hectic

2018 Mac Mini Core i7 6 cores Geekbench scoreboard

1st place for single core and faster than the following
    • 2017 iMac Core i7
    • 2018 Macbook Pro Core i9
    • 2017 iMac Pro Xeon W
    6th place for single core and slower than the following
    • 2017 iMac Pro Xeon W 8-18 cores (4 different versions)
    • 2013 Mac Pro Xeon E5 12 cores
    http://browser.geekbench.com/mac-benchmarks

#27 yoh_hectic, Nov 7, 2018 at 1:30 PM
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018 at 1:38 PM
  8. yoh_hectic

9. gearbox

gearbox Member

SSD is soldered, ram can be upgraded.

10. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

New company gives employees up to $3000 "Wellness Account" every January which could be used to purchase electronics and computers. Half of it will be salary-deducted without interest throughout the year.

Given that I skipped on the 27" iMac 5K i'm planning before, I don't think I can do this time, as even before the 2018 Mac Mini was announced, I was already dreaming of this setup:

[​IMG]

Mac Mini with 3.0 Ghz Core i5 - $1399cad
    Space Gray keyboard with keypad - $179cad
    Space Gray Magic Mouse 2 - $119cad
    LG Ultrafine 5K - $1699cad

Total: $3566cad with tax

Worth it you think?

legato, Sunil_K, wem272 and 2 others like this.
  11. sbuckspodium

sbuckspodium Member

Just found out the fan assembly is made in the philippines