2018 iPad Pro

Discussion in 'iPad' started by yoh_hectic, Oct 10, 2018.

1. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

eSIM, for example, would be a feature not available here since it would be dependent on the country's carriers. Some software features as well (e.g., Apple News, TV app) since it's limited to US and a few countries for now.

leninmac likes this.
  2. armel

armel Active Member

Got the whole caboodle at the Apple Store in Orchard Road just a few minutes ago. I was lucky on several levels: business trip on the iPad Pro launch day, and hotel is right across the Apple Store. But the luckiest stroke is this. First time i went there, i was told it was already out of stock. So i decided to go back to the hotel and call it a night. For some reason, i had the itch to go back. Got to talk to another sales staff, and surprise! I’m going home with a new toy! ;-D

Attached Files:

marvin_net, warped, jhonas015 and 4 others like this.
  3. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

C507FD55-0026-4CC3-801C-81DE570ADDFE.jpeg
    It was pretty crowded there today because of the iPad Pro launch. Bought the 2nd Gen Apple Pencil.

potpot2 likes this.
  4. armel

armel Active Member

Yeah i heard. Good thing it wasn’t that bad when i got there at around 8.

leninmac likes this.
  5. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

I think Apple is delaying a Mac with iPhone chips until they are able to create one that can outperform Intel chips by a wide margin.

Hopefully this happens by the year 2022.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/11/apple-walks-ars-through-the-ipad-pros-a12x-system-on-a-chip/

Where does Apple go from here?
    Apple is pushing up against high-end laptop and even desktop performance here, depending on what you're using for comparison. Granted, comparing architectures can be Apples (ahem) and oranges. Apple's CPU efforts are industry-leading on the mobile side of things, but they're not perfect. While Apple focuses on performance, Qualcomm, well, doesn't—partly because it essentially has a monopoly in the Android world and may not feel it even needs to, but partly because it focuses on connectivity. (Qualcomm's modems are industry-leading, even if its CPUs are not.)

There's one intriguing bit of context for all of this that Apple won't acknowledge in its discussions with Ars or anyone else: Macs are still on Intel chips. It's obvious to those who follow the company closely why that status quo isn't providing what Apple needs to move forward in its strategies. Further, a Bloomberg report citing sources close to the company claimed that Apple plans to launch a Mac with custom silicon—and we're talking CPU here, not just the T2 chip—are in the works.​

#125 yoh_hectic, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  6. Aargh

Aargh PhilMUG Addict Member

Another challenge if ever they decide to move away from Intel is how will they port all the apps for MacOS that were developed under intel’s X64 architecture? MS is currently doing an emulation of x64 to ARM but it has some issues on some apps and Intel is fighting this approach and threatening to sue.
    Anyway how does Google made all android apps run natively on their Intel powered Chrome OS devices?

7. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

Apple has done this multiple times before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple's_transition_to_Intel_processors

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_binary

8. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

tried to make some calls at stores in greenhills parang wala pang ipad pro 2018, itching to buy one na, hehe, its weird that they dont have it yet, or maybe its really not that popular here in ph, i remember the iphone X before i got mine on the second day of release in US, HK, etc... even the iPhone XS they had them in stock already after just a day... anyone able to spot one here in ph? thanks :)

hitme64 likes this.
  9. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Actually you're right...I was here awhile ago looking for one and they were giving me the "old iPad Pro"...

I dunno if they're keeping it for some GH launch or what but I am sure "some of their units were already sold out the other day"...but don't quote me on that...

10. shootertwist

yeah seems weird and some of those i called were the ones i previously bought my ipad and other apple stuff, i remember the 10.5 ipad pro last year i got it there on the second day of release...

11. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...yup. The gray sellers in GH have not outed the new iPad Pro. Zip. Zero. Nada. Been on the look-out. If it does pop out, , I ll grab one provided that the price premium is not prohibitive, say, halfway between Apple PH and Apple HK price. Also surprised. No pre-orders, unlike with the new iPhones. And about the iPhone Xs Max. GH vendors had stocks on hand on global launch day (Sept. 21). Same as the first-tier markets like the US.

Going for the 11” space gray. Easier to manipulate.

#131 raypin, Nov 10, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    shootertwist likes this.
  12. Shadowfox

Shadowfox Active Member

What I would love to see added is this functionality where you could use the iPad Pro as a screen (or second monitor) for the Mac Mini or other macOS devices and it should run natively without the need for relying on third-party apps or gizmos like Astropad or Luna Display for it to work. Given the iPad Pro already has a touchscreen and stylus functionality, it would make a great Wacom Cintiq alternative especially for creative people.

13. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

I'm using this app to do exactly what you want with your setup: https://www.duetdisplay.com/

I believe Apple likes this app so much and never needed to develop their own.

14. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

As per AJT Gadget, their shipment was delayed. Ive been asking sir andy daily for their price

raypin likes this.
  15. shootertwist

Oh that’s why... and these unauthorized resellers from experience always seem to have only one supplier hehe

16. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

Holy mother they are yuuuuge!

[​IMG]

potpot2, raypin and prof_er like this.
  17. shootertwist

The 12.9 still unwieldy bro? I made a mockup of the specs and its significantly smaller than my macbook pro 13 inches in dimensions that i’m actually torn now, was initially set on 11 inches but now i’m not so sure... but in person how is it? Still good for bed and couch surfing or a hassle already? Thanks

18. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...using 12.9 since 2016. Not exactly a dream to handle in landscape mode, much easier to handle in portrait mode.. Becomes even more unweildy if it has a case (heavy). More suited for use in a flat surface like a desk. For bed mode, I prefer the 9.7 (2017). That is why I am going for the new 11” (just a teeny tad larger than the 9.7).

Dream 12.9? Around 200 grams (half of the current model).

19. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

In 2011, I had an idea for celebrating and commemorating the life of Steve Jobs: to create a simple app that would automatically render a photo mosaic over several iPads.

PhilMUGgers who attended the Steve Jobs Day (days after his death), volunteered their iPads. After a quick software installation and configuration, we "volted in" and formed our very own "The Matrix":
    mosaic.jpg
    Oh how glorious that mosaic would look now, with bigger iPads and slimmer frame bezels. :)

20. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

I’ve been using the 11inch iPad Pro for a couple of days. Here’s my initial thoughts.

It’s lighter and easier to handle compared to the previous gen 10.5 inch.
    Not much difference in the picture quality of the previous gen.
    The camera is hardly noticeable that I’m always accidentally covering it with my hands disabling Face ID.
    Excellent speakers.