2018 iPad Pro

Discussion in 'iPad' started by yoh_hectic, Oct 10, 2018.

1. jpbl1976

jpbl1976 New Member

I got my 11” 256GB LTE Pro from Andy. He gets his stuff from Hong Kong and elsewhere (if I recall correctly, some of his MacBooks were EMEA units based on the model numbers on his Facebook page).

I’ve dealt with him for years. He’s definitely legit and he’s moved up from having a floating stall in the main Greenhills Tiangge area to a more-or-less permanent shop in the bridgeway area at Shoppesville with satellite tables somewhere in the Tiangge area. I’ve heard from some local gadget sources (not Andy himself) that he’s supplied some of the well-known local retailers when their inventories of popular Apple devices run low and their own shipments are still in transit.

I wouldn’t characterize Andy’s prices as “too good to be true” — they’re essentially the US retail prices translated into local currency. I would argue that the ones with abnormal prices are the local vendors with nice brick-and-mortar operations (some of whose staff wouldn’t know an iPhone XS Max from a Xiaomi knock-off). Their prices are around 20% higher than the landed prices in the US. For example, the SRP of the 256GB LTE iPad Pro 11” is PhP70,990 — that’s $1,361 even though the listed US Price is $1,099. Even adding an 8.25% sales tax gives a price of ~$1,190 — or $171 less than the landed prices here — and they almost never go on sale. The best deal you can get is if you have children at one of the Apple partner schools here. Then you can buy Apple stuff at around AJTel’s prices from PMC.

To be fair, I don’t think the b&m shops want to charge inflated prices but rent, staff and Apple’s vendor network fees need to get paid for and Apple probably factors all that in when it sets local prices. Honestly, I see no reason to buy anything from PMC or Switch or any of the other well-established b&m shops unless you’re after credit card financing. Outside of that, they do have a warranty — but it takes weeks or months to get something repaired, depending on the issue you have. Heck, they’ll keep your gadget a minimum of a week just to diagnose what’s wrong with it and I believe they still resort to sending problem devices to Singapore. It’s a travesty. You’re better off flying to Singapore yourself if you have the means and lack the patience.

Anyway, that’s just my two-cents. You can make your own determination by visiting AJTel’s shop.

#421 jpbl1976, Aug 31, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    Ghibli and sled65 like this.
  2. jpbl1976

jpbl1976 New Member

You can actually get something very similar from SwitchEasy through Lazada. It comes in 3(?) colors and costs just around ~PhP1.3k. I’m still on the fence on whether to get one (I don’t like the provision for the Pencil but I get why it’s there) — but I’ll probably relent eventually.

3. Royben

Royben New Member

ipad pro 11
    would the i-baslon case fit, without the smart keyboard folio?

4. macsurge730

macsurge730 PhilMUG Addict Member

Yes. It fits and smart keyboard folio.

5. Calhoun

Calhoun Active Member

Is Lazada safe and secure? Never tried it before. Thanks.

6. loko__loko

loko__loko Well-Known Member

i think those official shops in the Phil's prices are based on official Apple ph website... also, we pay 12% tax compared to Ca's 8.75%.

i usually buy from them to support their services.. without them, it will be hard for us to claim warranty. And they have to wait for Apple Sg's approval for warranty claims.

macfrancis likes this.
  7. loko__loko

loko__loko Well-Known Member

there is Apple Flagship Store in Lazada... its like lazada is the same level as those selling at abenson, automatic and other appliance stores.

jpbl1976 likes this.
  8. macfrancis

macfrancis Member

I do support local APRs (for the economy). They provide jobs, free product trainings, and a lot more.

Ghibli and raypin like this.
  9. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...is this the new iPad Pro ?

:eek:
    We ll find out this October (expected 2nd fall event).

if true............... I don’t usually use my Pro 11 to take photos, even casual ones. But, maybe some people do...

#429 raypin, Sep 28, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  10. deucejunkie

deucejunkie Active Member

I just dropped by to say I love you, pro-motion iPad Pro 2018. I am in awe of the display and I feel guilty not using the device more often.

Attached Files:

jologs and raypin like this.
  11. darkgreen

darkgreen Active Member

Hi!! need your thoughts on whether to buy an iPad Pro now or wait for the rumored 2019 model? Is the 12.9" model really prone to bending, and does it easily get scratches from the magnetic connection of the apple pencil? and would there be a significant improvement between the a12x and a13x chip? Based from what I've heard a12x is already powerful enough, so I don't know if the a13x chip would matter.

12. deucejunkie

deucejunkie Active Member

Hmm, the next iteration may not be launched till after spring as per articles I read online.
    If it’s only a matter of weeks, I’d wait. Otherwise I’d say go get yourself this wonderful slab of technology. I too had second and third and fourth thoughts about getting one due to the bending issue but I bit the bullet eventually and I was fortunate enough to get an 11in unit without that issue. Sorry I can’t comment on the pencil issue as I don’t own one.

Life is too short really to be making yourself wait. :D

13. sled65

sled65 Member

Has anyone tried using a Sandisk Dual Drive (Type C) with the iPad Pro? I keep inserting mine using the USB Type C side and nothing seems to happen. When I use the USB Type A side though with a Samsung adapter, it works and the drive shows up in locations.

14. neldeles

neldeles Active Member

15. neldeles

neldeles Active Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I ordered mine on Lazada. Ordered Oct 17 delivered today. Not bad for a cross border parcel. Only cost me 900 petot express shipping included too. Overall very happy w the product!

16. jologs

jologs Active Member

This morning, my 2018 12.9" iPad Pro had a static straight line of stuck red pixels that were slightly flickering. I never dropped nor got the iPad wet. I restarted the iPad and the flickering red line was still there. After using the touchscreen for a few minutes, it went away. Has anybody here experienced something like this? Is this an iOS 13 glitch or something worse?

I'm a bit concerned that the issue might come back and if I should set a service appointment with an Apple authorized service center. Are iPads bought abroad eligible for warranty repairs here?

17. macsurge730

Finally fired the bullet of getting AppleCare for my 11inch iPad Pro since I am planning to use it for another 2-3 years before upgrading to the future iPad Pro.

Now, peace of mind with my iPad Pro assures me. ;)

raypin likes this.
  18. marvin_net

marvin_net Active Member

If you dont mind, how much is it?

19. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mm...my theory is different: bnew gray market units are not tax-paid. No eVat and no import duties. Hence, their retail prices are lower than official prices here. I ve been buying gray market gadgets since my Nokia days (decades ago). No official receipt ever. Bakit kaya? :confused:

20. macsurge730

Php 4190.00