2016 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yoh_hectic, Oct 27, 2016.

1. glennba27

glennba27 Active Member

2. Leeger

Leeger Active Member

So my 6 month old 15in touch bar MBP suddenly decided to stop charging. It does boot up when plugged but the battery is no longer charging. It also says that battery needs to be replaced which is weird since it only has 79 cycle count and pretty much has more than 90% of the original capacity. Tried all sort of troubleshooting to no avail. Bringing it to the service center this weekend. Not a good experience for my cery first mac device.

3. cruzargel

cruzargel Member

May recall uli about keyboards naman hehe. Free replacement/repair 4 years from purchase date, so no rush.

GelOBrrz and glennba27 like this.
  4. Ghibli

Ghibli Active Member

Yes, but I also read that the replacement keyboards are also prone to the same rate of breakage as the design is ultimately the same.

5. mark.rupido

mark.rupido New Member

That likely means that you have to replace your macbook with their latest model once the warranty lapses which is a bummer... :cry::cry::cry:

6. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Well-Known Member

That's precisely the mindset that you should have when you buy a new Retina MacBook or Thunderbolt 3 MacBook Pro: you should be ready and willing to replace it once its warranty lapses. While Apple now offers a 4-year warranty on butterfly mechanism keyboards from date of purchase, it's still not safe to assume that you can just save-up for a new Mac for 4 years and you'll be fine.

Remember, that 4 years is only for the keyboard. If you don't have AppleCare (which gives you an additional 2 years of warranty on top of the standard 1-year warranty), and just right after the standard 1 year warranty, any other costly component breaks down, such as SSD or discrete graphics, which are directly soldered on to the logic board, expect to shell out a huge amount on repairs--or worse--buy a new one as the repair costs are just too high and not worth it.

Thus, for me, when I bought a 13" MacBook Pro w/ Touch Bar, I also signed-up for AppleCare. It's therefore rather safe to say that my Mac's covered for 3 years (4 years if it's the butterfly keyboard that breaks), and I'll just replace it if breaks after that period.

GelOBrrz likes this.
  7. Xotigu

Xotigu Active Member

Is someone here who’ve availed the battery replacement program already? Do they replace the keyboards as well? Since my mbp 13” is eligible for both said program.

GelOBrrz likes this.
  8. GelOBrrz

GelOBrrz Member

They should, cause based on the repair made on my machine (keyboard replacement), batteries and the upper case (which includes the keyboard) is a single component, so if one of these needs repair, the other will be replace, too. :)

Xotigu likes this.
  9. GelOBrrz

GelOBrrz Member

Hi. Have you encountered any issues after your notebook's keyboard was replaced? :)

10. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Well-Known Member

Yup, I’ve had two minor issues so far. It’s been 4.5 months since I had my 2016 MBP’s keyboard replaced and so far, I’ve encountered the following quite recently:
    • about 2 weeks ago: a speck of dust nearly got stuck beneath the butterfly mechanism of the C key, but immediately got dislodged when I pressed the key and heard a crunch; and
    • about 3 weeks ago: while working in a non-air conditioned room, my MBP was getting hot and the space bar suddenly had an unusually and noticeably low travel (Iike it was sunk half lower than the usual) but nevertheless remained responsive. It stayed like that until the time I switched it off when I finished my work. When I got back home, it reverted back to normal.
    In fairness, for the time being, it seems that this replacement keyboard (2017 model) is a huge improvement compared to the one that originally came with my MBP, as I’ve had incomparably more serious issues with the earlier one. I'm hoping that Apple would be able to eventually produce a defect-free replacement keyboard and replace the one I have within that 4-year keyboard warranty period.

At any rate, I'm determined to buy a MacBook either late this year or early next year when a new one comes out just so that I'll always have a spare unit ready at hand, given that having keyboard problems and getting a replacement is indeed counterproductive, and I can't afford any downtime. My 2009 MBP, which is still in excellent condition, serves as my standby unit, and I used that while may 2016 MBP's keyboard was getting replaced; however, it's a bit slow for may needs (even with its 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD), and I find it quite heavy to bring outside, whereas as MacBook will be perfect for that.

EDIT: Make that three issues. Just a while back, my Y key suddenly started making repeated entries when I strike it. It does that about 75% of the time. It’s been like that for about 3 hours. Just like when that space bar issue came up, I was in a non-air conditioned room doing something resource intensive—so my Mac was warm. I suspect that it’s not only dust that causes problems to the butterfly mechanism, but warm temperature as well, as perhaps the plastic or some essential component of the butterfly mechanism reacts to warm temperature. My Mac is now off. Hopefully, it will be back to normal again when I switch it on later when it would have already cooled down. Sigh. I’m definitely buying a spare Mac.

UPDATE: As I had expected, after 3 hours' rest, my Y key is back to normal—like nothing happened at all. Based on my experience, using it in a cold or air-conditioned environment minimizes the occurrence of those keyboard issues.

#410 Qin Zhi, Jul 17, 2018 at 3:28 PM
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018 at 9:25 PM