2016 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yoh_hectic, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Aargh

Aargh PhilMUG Addict Member

I haven’t experienced this but I only have my MBP for a month. Hehe But honestly this is the first time I read about that issue and if you ask me it’s not that of a big deal for me to make me not buy a mbp. How urgent do you need a new mbp? Because are you really willing to wait for more than 6months for a possibly new mbp? And for all we know the new mbp could just be updated cpus and nothing more.

2. Edelheid

Edelheid PhilMUG Addict Member

Heat inflicts damage to the key caps due to the thin plastic layer underneath them explaining why a certain number of customers have reported key inconsistencies when their machines run under high temperature. There's also the problem of debris getting under your keys, thanks to the overall slim design of the keyboard each key is essentially cramped and the further you try to push the key with bits and pieces taking refuge under it the higher the chances you'll end up breaking it. If you notice any particular key requiring more effort than normal just for your input to register, it's best you stop and investigate what's happening under there before the situation gets worse.

The 2017 MacBook Pro (and newly manufactured 2016 models) all ship with a slightly revised keyboard to help cope with the probability of failure, but it still doesn't exempt you from the statistic. Only another thorough keyboard redesign can. It's all a matter of your usage and how well you take care of your expensive machine and by extension, your luck. Some friends of mine experienced a faulty keyboard while some have not with varying usage. If you need a MacBook Pro now, there's no helping it but if you don't maybe consider waiting and see they have in store for 2018. It's likely to be a spec bump, but we're already halfway through the cycle of the current MacBook Pro that you might as well wait it out. Who knows if Apple can come up with a way then to shove a quad-core CPU inside the ultra-thin 13-inch MacBook Pro without compromising battery life and heat.

If you do decide to buy the current MacBook Pro, spare yourself from possible agony by availing AppleCare for it. It's not at all an enticing thought having to shell out more for an already expensive machine, but it's exactly because it's an expensive machine (with faults) that you should go the extra mile to ensure you're covered the moment it does croak. These new machines are super expensive to repair outside of warranty. Outside of the unknown, Macs are amazing computers and all of my previous ones lasted me a long time. I most definitely got my money's worth.

Personally, my 13" MacBook Pro has been performing relatively fine apart from jarring software issues specific to High Sierra.

#382 Edelheid, Dec 31, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    Qin Zhi and JohnDL like this.
  3. JohnDL

JohnDL New Member

Not really urgent. I can still use my current laptop for my needs (though its a bit sluggish. Haha). I’m just doing a bit of research for my planned upgrade. Thanks for the input. I think I can wait for the next upgrade (I hope I really can! Hahaha).

Thanks for this info. Now that explains the issue. I’ll just take care of the machine if I can’t wait for the 2018 MBP. Haha. Are there going to be price reductions on the current MBPs once the new MBPs are released?

4. Edelheid

Edelheid PhilMUG Addict Member

Usually, yes, the previous gens are discounted but I can't confirm the same to be the case for local resellers. A way you can check is to visit any one of the premium resellers (i.e., Beyond the Box, Power Mac Center, et al.) and try asking for the cost of the 2016 MacBook Pro and compare it with the current 2017 models.

Alternatively, you can also keep an eye out for open box sales. Those things are heavily discounted.

5. JohnDL

JohnDL New Member

Thanks a lot!

6. Aargh

How do you prevent the MBP from going to sleep when the lid is closed and not connected to an external display?
    Thanks!

7. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Well-Known Member

Try InsomniaX. See second part of this article for instructions.

Aargh likes this.
  8. Aargh

Thank you so much!

9. Ejaxene

Ejaxene Well-Known Member

I haven’t been really keeping up with the times so I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the monitor I’ve got charges my MacBook Pro through USB C when connected. Even planned on getting a separate power adapter that would stay at home on my table... guess I wouldn’t need that now. :D

10. Qin Zhi

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I occasionally encounter that problem common to 2016 MBPs where certain keys get stuck. As my problem wasn't as serious as others' (i.e. in my case, they generally occur only when I'm in a hot environment and quickly revert to normal when I'm in an air-conditioned room), and given my busy sched and that I have AppleCare anyway, it was only last week when I finally decided to bring my Mac to Apple to have its keyboard replaced. This time I had to, as my "Y" got stuck permanently. Aside from the keyboard, I also had its display replaced, as it had a speck of dust stuck underneath the glass in one corner of the screen. Everything went smoothly and I got my MBP back yesterday, after 3 days.

New keyboard labels (or lack of them)

It was only when I got home that I noticed that the replacement keyboard they installed looks different from the one that originally came with my MBP. Specifically, note in the photos below that my MBP's tab, caps lock, shift, delete and enter keys no longer have text labels (i.e. "tab", "caps lock", "shift", "enter" and "return"). Pretty cool, actually. They're now more minimalist-looking. Maybe in 2-3 years, they'll be removing the "control", "option" and "command" text labels as more Mac users become familiar with the corresponding symbols for these keys.

IMG_2734.JPG

IMG_2733.JPG

I just hope that this new keyboard that Apple installed is an improved/better one. Based on what I've read (though I haven't personally confirmed it), the keyboard of the 2017 MBP is much improved and is less prone to getting stuck. If that were indeed true, I hope that this keyboard I got is just like (or better yet--an improvement of) the 2017 MBP's.

Finally, another thing I'm glad about having my keyboard replaced is that I got a brand new battery (as they're part of one assembly). So while my 2016 MBP is 1 yr. 3 mos. old, its new battery has just undergone 1 cycle and can be charged up to 102.6%. :p
    屏幕快照 2018-03-10 下午10.07.31.png

#390 Qin Zhi, Mar 11, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    Sunil_K likes this.
  11. GelOBrrz

GelOBrrz Active Member

I went to Apple's China website and saw the exact keyboard layout/labels:

Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 3.20.30 AM.png

Battery and screen replacement is great, though.

12. Qin Zhi

Thanks, for pointing that out. Believe it or not, I actually did visit the Apple China to check, albeit I did not pay attention to the MBP shown on the main page of their MacBook Pro section, but instead went straight to their Buy MacBook Pro page which inconsistently showed this one, which was similar to the original keyboard of my 2016 MBP (also bought in China), which had text labels on those keys I mentioned:
    屏幕快照 2018-03-12 上午7.56.15.png

By checking websites of other online retailers here, I just found out that the new keyboard I got (i.e. without text labels) is indeed the keyboard that comes with the 2017 MBPs being sold now in China. Apparently, they simply neglected to update the images on Apple China's Buy MacBook Pro page which still bears the images of the 2016 MBP.

Interestingly, I checked the Apple websites of other Asian countries and noticed that the MacBook Pro released in Korea and Japan Apple websites also don't have text labels on the keys I mentioned:

Japan:
    mbp13touch-gray-select-201610_GEO_JP.jpeg

Korea:
    mbp13touch-gray-select-201610_GEO_KR.jpeg

However, the MacBook Pros released in Taiwan and Thailand still appear to have those (i.e. "tab" "caps lock", "shift", "delete" and "return"):

Taiwan:

mbp13touch-gray-select-201610_GEO_TW.jpeg

Thailand:
    mbp13touch-gray-select-201610_GEO_TH.jpeg

#392 Qin Zhi, Mar 12, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  13. GelOBrrz

GelOBrrz Active Member

Oh... I think I got your point. haha. They replaced your 2016 MacBook Pro's keyboard with set for 2017's. And I'm assuming that the OG layout of your MacBook is in Chinese, to start with.

Sorry 'bout that

14. Qin Zhi

Oh, don't get me wrong--I never took offense a bit--as, actually, I was amused about these new keyboard labels I got and was simply wondering whether the new ones being released globally also did not have text labels for "tab" "caps lock", "shift", "delete" and "return". After doing a quick research this morning, apparently not, it's only a handful of countries that ship MacBooks and MacBook Pros that have no text labels on those keys, among them China, Japan and Korea. :)

15. GelOBrrz

GelOBrrz Active Member

I’m now having same issues on the keyboard.

Then the temperature gets hot on the device, the ‘U’ key starts sounding weird (clacking)

I’ve read through several forums and this is not an isolated issue.

Have you had the same issues after the replacement?

16. Qin Zhi

So far I haven't had any problem with my replacement keyboard. But then again, it's only been a little over a month since I got it replaced.

As for the "clacking" sound, I've never experienced it even with the original keyboard that came with my 2016 13" tbMBP.

The problem that I had with my keyboard was keys getting stuck (when I'm in a hot environment). To the best of my recollection, keys started getting stuck at about 5 months from the time I bought my Mac, which was about June last year when it was summer here in China, and most of the time, such occurred while I was using my Mac outdoors (outside a coffee shop) where the temperature was at least 30-35℃. Their occurrence drastically decreased when autumn came and totally stopped during winter (as in 0%), so I had peace of mind for about 4-5 months; but come springtime they were back with a vengeance: starting feb, when my spacebar's left side ('coz I'm left-handed) gradually started getting stuck, and finally in march, my "Y" key got permanently stuck, which is when I had the keyboard replaced.

I'm just hoping that the replacement keyboard I got is an improved one and that I don't encounter any similar problems with it come summer--or worse--2 years from now when my AppleCare protection plan lapses.

GelOBrrz likes this.
  17. GelOBrrz

GelOBrrz Active Member

Thanks!

I’ll get this checked by an AASP.

It’s just frustrating that I’m already having issues after less than a year of owning one

18. Qin Zhi

Apple offering battery replacement program for some 13-inch Non-Touch Bar MacBook Pros - 9to5Mac

#398 Qin Zhi, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  19. cruzargel

cruzargel Member

20. Qin Zhi

Yes, fortunately. It was served by an official Apple Store. Better have yours realigned while it's still under warranty or within reasonable time. While installing it misaligned is PMC's fault, better have them fix it the soonest time practicable to spare you from unnecessary trouble.

#400 Qin Zhi, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    GelOBrrz and cruzargel like this.