2016 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yoh_hectic, Oct 27, 2016.

1. offgrey

offgrey Member

Has anyone had problems with keys sometimes not working? I've been having trouble with my left command key lately. Sometimes, it isn't registering as activated even if I have it pressed down. My space bar also occasionally does two spaces. :\ The double space isn't because of key repeat though. I've adjusted the delay time for key repeat to excruciatingly long, but I still get double taps sometimes. I've also already tried using canned air to push any stuck particles as suggested in the Apple Support page, but no dice. I'm wondering if mine is just an isolated issue.

2. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Well-Known Member

I've had a similar problem with keys getting stuck on my 7-mo. old 2016 tbMBP. There was one occasion when my B key had gotten stuck. In at least 5 occasions, the left side of my spacebar had gotten stuck as well. Common denominator: hot environment. In all such occasions, I was mobile using my Mac at a non-airconditioned environment where the temperature was about 30C+. When it's stuck, it's unresponsive and doesn't rise back to its usual position when you're not pressing it. However, once I have gotten back to my office/home where it's air-conditioned, it naturally went back to, and felt like, normal after a few minutes.

Apple will definitely repair it for free--I'm simply too busy at the moment to bring it to the AppleStore for repair. Likewise, for the next few months, I don't expect the problem occurring (hopefully, that is) as autumn just started where I am and the outside temperature here will soon be more than pleasant for my Mac. I will eventually have it repaired once my workload's a bit lighter.

In my opinion, Apple really screwed up on this keyboard--all because of their "courage" and crazy obsession over thinness.

This, however is the only issue I've ever had with my 2016 tbMBP in the 7 mos. that I've had it. Nevertheless, it is to me a serious issue given that I use it for work that requires me to type a lot everyday. Of all keys, it's the spacebar that's faulty in mine instead of, say "~" or "\" key. :(

Important advice: buy AppleCare. I did. Otherwise, if your keyboard (or some other "courage"-inspired component) breaks down after the standard 1-year warranty period, expect expensive repair costs.

#342 Qin Zhi, Aug 23, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  3. offgrey

offgrey Member

I noticed mine tended to happen when I was using the keyboard quite a bit (I was writing a 15,000 word paper). However, now that you mention it, it was quite hot at the time. Perhaps it had something to do with that as well.

I also don't have much time to be out of a laptop for several weeks so I haven't gotten it looked at. I did find some time last night to do a bit of research. Apparently it's a rather common problem for butterfly keys in general. It seems that they made some very slight changes to the butterfly keyboard on the 2017 MBPs to prevent or at least mitigate some of the issues that showed up in the earlier Macbooks and MBPs. This means that yes, apple care is a must for 2016 MBPs. It seems the only way they can manage to repair these problems is by replacing the entire keyboard..... :\

Honestly, it makes me wonder if some of the other less used keys are also faulty and we both just happened to notice it because it was the spacebar for you and the spacebar and left command key for me that stopped working. The lack of travel on these keys honestly makes me wonder sometimes if I actually did press the key and it didn't respond properly or if I missed entirely.

4. Salamander13

Salamander13 New Member

Question, can the 2016 MBP 13" be upgraded to 16gb ram? currently its 8gb. Thanks!

5. Edelheid

Edelheid PhilMUG Addict Member

It cannot be upgraded as the RAM is soldered to the logic board.

6. Salamander13

Salamander13 New Member

Thanks for the info sir :)

7. Salamander13

Salamander13 New Member

Another question, im guessing na hindi basta basta kami makaka connect ng mouse dito. Our wireless mouse that has a usb dongle doesnt work, hindi siya na dedetect as bluetooth device ni mac.

8. Qin Zhi

It may depend on the brand and model. While I usually use a Magic Mouse on my 2016 tbMBP (so I don't have plug a USB wireless receiver/dongle), just for your query I just tested my old Logitech M187 wireless mouse (which I still use with my 2009 MBP) by plugging its USB wireless receiver to my Apple USB A to C adapter and it worked instantly on my tbMBP.

#348 Qin Zhi, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  9. arkaell

arkaell Active Member

If you plug in the usb-dongle into the usb-c to usb-a adapter it should work automatically. It won't appear as a BT mouse sa list of devices.

GelOBrrz likes this.
  10. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Just to get it out there, I have already traveled quite a bit with my none touch bar 13 inch MacBook Pro and although I appreciate a lot of things about the new MBP I find the lack of ports a really surprisingly big hassle. Thrice I had dongle issues! In a trip to Hong Kong I forgot to bring the right dongle! On my trip to the US, the Apple dongle I just bought could not read my thumb drives and. hard disks. On my trip to Japan my friend (who also owned a usb-c MacBook) borrowed and lost my dongle!

Haha its nuts! Now I bring a pair with me when going abroad just in case!

USB-C is certainly the future but if something mysteriously happens to your cutting edge USB-C adaptor its going to be a huge hassle to get a replacement as most stores do not have them. In the US I needed to uber a few miles to get to the nearest Apple store because more accessible stores like Target and Best Buy do not stock them. Even in high tech countries like Hong Kong and Japan, you need to go out of the way to the bigger stores to get them. I still love my super thin and light MacBook Pro 13 but I still miss the HDMI and USB-A ports from my older ones a lot.

Qin Zhi likes this.
  11. julmercado

julmercado Active Member

Now I can use again my LAN and USB 3.0 devices using HyperDrive + Gigabit Ethernet adapter.

[​IMG]

12. Qin Zhi

13. Edelheid

Edelheid PhilMUG Addict Member

I love nearly everything about my 2017 MacBook Pro—this particular love encompasses even the low-travel keyboard that many others to this day continue to criticise. To me it's even better than the previous gen scissor-style keyboard believe it or not. It's just that continually perusing stories like this and other accounts on a regular basis makes me fear for the future of the machine presently in my possession. It's an even bigger problem when you reside in a country where replacements can take up to four weeks. You best call for the name of every saint you can remember and pray that the replacement is not yet another lemon otherwise you're in for a painful lesson in patience.

About 80% of the people I know have something to hate about the new keyboard, but even to someone like myself who loves it dearly having any of the keys break only a year into its lifetime ought to be seen as preposterous. Who's been responsible for shitcanning what can only be terrible executions of new changes in these machines?

https://512pixels.net/2017/10/theres-no-i-in-keyboard/

#353 Edelheid, Oct 18, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    Anmi and Qin Zhi like this.
  14. mongkee

mongkee PhilMUG Addict Member

I could certainly use one of these myself but... $230... usual pricing for Belkin, but that's still gonna hit hard on the wallet...

15. Zoey

Zoey Active Member

I would certainly buy this for a 100 usd but not more. Yikes the price!

16. Qin Zhi

If anyone's looking for a reasonably-priced yet good quality USB C to USB A adapter for use with one's MacBook or MacBook Pro, I'm recommending this one I bought just a few days ago: Aukey USB 3.0 Type-C Male to USB-A Female Adapter, which I bought here in China for only ¥29 (about ₱225). That's even less than a quarter of the price of Apple's USB-C to USB Adapter which sells for ₱990. Notwithstanding the price, Aukey does have a good reputation for quality, so I did not hesitate to buy it.
    IMG_1949.JPG

Note: it's bulkier than Apple's, but still worth it for home use. Below is my Apple adapter right next to the Aukey one. Note though that the Aukey adapter is clearly much longer, bulkier and slightly heavier than Apple's adapter. Because of that, it's still the Apple adapter that I'll be bringing when I'm mobile, and will be using the Aukey adapter (mostly) at home.
    IMG_1950.JPG

GelOBrrz and Sunil_K like this.
  17. Ejaxene

Ejaxene Well-Known Member

Ah I am a late adopter! :D I cannot afford the 2017 model so when I found a deal for a top spec 2016 TB model (brand new, sealed), I couldn't pass it up. Upgrading from a secondhand MacBook Air 2013 13". I put them side by side and wow the difference between Retina and non-Retina =)

18. ronnel0918

ronnel0918 PhilMUG Addict Member

Where and how much? :)

19. Ejaxene

Ejaxene Well-Known Member

20. ronnel0918

ronnel0918 PhilMUG Addict Member

Aww! Too bad. :(

Hope BTB will have Open Box/EOL sale again.