2016 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yoh_hectic, Oct 27, 2016.

1. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

Discussion for the late 2016 Macbook Pro should be done here.

I am hoping Apple pulled some strings to get Kaby Lake (7th Gen i5 & i7) Intel chips. Kinda weird for them to push older Skylake (6th Gen i5 & i7) Intel chips if they did.

potpot2 likes this.
  2. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

unfortunately they are using the 6th gen...

3. yoh_hectic

For the prices they are asking for it should have been Kaby Lake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nikkio96 likes this.
  4. offgrey

offgrey Member

The price gap between the US (and HK) prices and ours is huge. Has it always been this big? If it was, I never noticed it for some reason....

5. yoh_hectic

PH price is inclusive of 12% VAT

offgrey likes this.
  6. offgrey

offgrey Member

Oh, that's true. Thanks! I didn't notice that. The last time I checked prices in the online store, the VAT was tacked on after already selecting a laptop. I think. I'm not so sure anymore.

7. yoh_hectic

Your welcome. Your question got me to crunch numbers.

Even without 12% VAT the PH price is still higher than US or HK.

The lowest price I've seen so far is in Japan.

[​IMG]

8. kutsaratinidor

kutsaratinidor Active Member

I think Forex rate is the cause of that big difference in price. And that's a really big deviation from usual pricing, it's usually close by a few thousand pesos when compared to other markets. The PH pricing is actually more expensive compare to CA online store with 13% tax on top of the CAD1899 price. Its at least a difference of 6000 pesos.

And tax is usually computed in by default for the PH Apple store. Unlike in North America, it will be computed before check out and will depend on state or province your are in.

9. kutsaratinidor

kutsaratinidor Active Member

10. yoh_hectic

[​IMG]

Sunil_K and kutsaratinidor like this.
  11. docnico

docnico PhilMUG Addict Member

People have been making comments that buying an iPhone is like buying a Mac already. So there you go. Now the Macs are now twice the price.

gaol, jelight, Sunil_K and 4 others like this.
  12. Haloghen

Haloghen Member

AFAIK, Intel has yet to release a 45w variant for the kabylake chipset (I think their due earlier next year), correct me if I'm wrong. That might be the reason for apple to choose skylake over kabylake.

13. yoh_hectic

Really wish Apple made this an Early 2017 model instead so it uses Kaby Lake chips.

The current Skylake chips could have been used with a Early or Mid 2016 Macs.

The Dell XPS 13's depth is smaller by 1.24cm vs the 2016 13-inch Macbook Pro. I wouldnt have minded if Apple made theirs smaller.

#13 yoh_hectic, Oct 28, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  14. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

One of my 2 Macbook Pros 2009 is still trudging on, refusing to die, like a Walking Dead. I had bought them from Charlie for about P100k each.

Now the asking price of the new ones are about the same as a downpayment for an Everest or Fortuner. :p

The times they are a-changing. I think my next laptop will be a Lenovo. :)

15. Haloghen

Haloghen Member

Based on the keynote presentation of apple. Tim mentioned something about holiday shopping rush. (I'm not sure about what he exactly said). I'm guessing apple pushed thru this event so as to gain sales this coming holiday seasons.

I give my two cents to you though, It would've been better if apple opted to use the kabylake chipset and launched the mbps earlier 2017.

I can't blame apple though, many mac users have been waiting for a mbp refresh and pushing through with these updates could help satiate the demand for a new tech.

Sunil_K likes this.
  16. Sunil_K

I never thought the day would come that i'd be more impressed with microsoft's hardware offering over apple.

And the prices! Xiaomi MiBook here we come!

volans, potpot2, jesusluison and 4 others like this.
  17. Haloghen

Haloghen Member

Sunil, what are your thoughts on xiaomi notebooks? Have you experienced using them?

18. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

Posted this in another thread. I think I should have it posted here instead.

I think the new MBPs are overpriced for the new "eye candy" features. If I was single, I would have splurge my hard earned money on this mainly for show off and maybe secondly for productive work (If I can indeed find new and revolutionary ways to be more productive with the touchbar). But now, I'd rather spend it for my family or for assets that can bring in more money. Rather than feel smug with a shiny new toy which cannot offer much which I cannot do with an older MBP, minus the need for dongles to connect stuff I have invested on, I'd rather like to see my kids happy and smiling with money well spent for their enjoyment and welfare than see other people wooing what a nice and shiny new toy I have to show around.

Phil Schiller made this announcement in another site: 'We don't design for price, we deign for the experience'. The same Phil who said its 'courage' to take out the 3.5mm audio jack. Yeah right Phil. :rolleyes:

I guess to each his own. But no thanks Apple. With the bad "experiences" I've been getting with your products lately (Sierra, bendgate, staingate, faulty gpu, dongles), my hard earned money won't be going to you any time soon. Besides, its a first gen of its kind. Who knows what flaws it has in store for early adopter... like it always have been lately.

Sunil_K and Godfather like this.
  19. mongkee

mongkee PhilMUG Addict Member

At PhP 109K, me owning one of those 13 inch beauties are gonna be next to nil. I know it's Apple and its awesomeness worth the price. But that price!! Oh man... :cry:

jesusluison and Sunil_K like this.
  20. Sunil_K

Not at all, never seen one. The most attractive option is the price :D

But it looks like companies like Xiaomi and LeEco now are offering their products at premium prices. (trying to remember where i read this)

Godfather and Haloghen like this.