2016 Macbook pro LCD issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by benzng, Aug 11, 2020.

1. benzng

benzng Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I have a 2016 Macbook pro with an LCD issue. Its about 1 month now and it has screen artifacts going up and down

I recently read of a recall from Apple

https://support.apple.com/en-ph/13-inch-macbook-pro-display-backlight-service

My unit is covered under this program but I don't encounter the display backlight showing vertical lines but i do encounter vertical artifacts that go on and off before when I adjust the tilt on the screen. When I connect to an external monitor everything is clear.

do you think my unit is covered?

2. jlconferido

jlconferido Well-Known Member

If your MBP is not over 4 years old it will still be covered. The display issue has something to do with the flex cable.

3. anchorite

anchorite Member

Flexgate. Bring your Macbook to BTB Greenhills. They're great people.

4. Whiff and a sip

Whiff and a sip New Member

I have a 2016 MBP 15" with the same LCD issue. I'm pretty annoyed since the LCD had already been replaced last 2019 and I had paid 30K for it.
    I am now having the same problems. It really pisses me to think how much of a lemon this 2016 model is and I don't think I should be paying to
    replace a new LCD when it is obviously a defect.
    What do I do with this laptop when 15 inches models are not under the Apple repair program ?

DenzDaniel likes this.
  5. jlconferido

jlconferido Well-Known Member

You can bring it to PC Formula in QC. Their shop is in front of Robinsons Magnolia.

DenzDaniel likes this.
  6. anchorite

anchorite Member

Just in case it's no longer covered, bring it to Apple Clinic. Right in front of Robinson's Magnolia. Same building as Grains furniture shop. They're great.

DenzDaniel likes this.
  7. anchorite

anchorite Member

Hmmm. I don't know why you had to pay for the replacement. Mine (2016 TB) had an LCD issue that was considered as a flex gate issue and was already out of warranty but they still replaced it in 2019. My wife's old and battered 2015 MBP had the screen coating issue was also replaced in 2019 even after already being several years out of warranty. Both computers do not have Apple Care.

kyubi likes this.
  8. apbtorres88

apbtorres88 New Member

A1707's aren't part of the repair program. So the only option is to find another repair shop that can actually replace/repair the flex cable instead of replacing the whole LCD panel.