2016 Macbook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ppineda1, Jun 12, 2016.

1. ppineda1

ppineda1 New Member

Disclaimer: Newbie Alert!

For give my ignorance - I am a total newbie to Macbooks. Is there really such a thing as a 2016-model Macbook Air?

I got one from BTB today and the staff there said I was getting the 2016 model. Although the RAM is at 8GB, the About page indicates that one I got is an Early-2015 model.

Could it be that it really is an Early-2015 model with 8GB of RAM and was just passed on as a 2016 model? Have I been duped?

Sorry for all the noob questions and thanks in advance!

2. Jsnc

Jsnc Active Member

Welcome to Philmug! You got the 13" MacBook Air? The difference between the 2015 and the 2016 is RAM. 2015 has 4GB and 2016 model comes with 8GB RAM.

2015 models can be configured with 8GB RAM, but as an added cost.

ppineda1 likes this.
  3. ppineda1

ppineda1 New Member

Thanks, Jsnc

4. drdom

drdom Member

My wife just got me this 2016 MBA. Love it! A joy to use compared to my 2008 unibody macbook (that still works BTW).
    My only gripe is the lack of a USB port and the need to get an adapter to use one :unsure:

5. Jsnc

Jsnc Active Member

No USB ports? I think you got the 12" macbook.

6. drdom

drdom Member

You're right... it's the 12" MacBook. Didn't realize it's not classified as MBA.

7. jcruze057

jcruze057 Member

So is there an mba 11" 2016?

8. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

this is the golden question. everyone is waiting with bated breath for apple to announce new macbooks. the entire Mac lineup (except for the 12 inch MacBook) is due for a refresh. there's a possibility for an October announcement, but if that doesn't come then it will definitely be sometime early 2017.

9. mackulit

mackulit Member

There are speculations that the MBA will get phased out. Which I think makes sense considering that the new macbook is now thinner and lighter - the name macbook air no longer makes sense, unless they update the air to be lighter and thinner than the macbook?? Exciting to see what will happen this fall. But can't wait and I'm loving my new rosegold macbook!

10. den_lim

den_lim Active Member

understandable since it's smaller than the air. lighter than air? maybe it should be called MacBook Helium

GelOBrrz likes this.
  11. den_lim

den_lim Active Member

Well, the October announcement has come and gone. No new MBA. I'm now considering what to buy. Which is better, 13" MBA or 12" MacBook?

12. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

Hi Den_lim!

If you are choosing between the 2, go for the 12" rMB. Newer tech and the screen! oh so beautiful screen!

13. duncan

duncan Well-Known Member

Depends on what is important to you. I think processor of mac air still better. Also consider the keyboard and ports present in the mac air. I personally like the macbook air keyboard better.

If screen and speaker is more important. Macbook is definitely better.

14. ralmon

ralmon Member

Im planning to get an MBA this month as my current HP laptop is already begging to retire.
    I mainly use my laptop for browsing, movies and torrents only.

Is the 13 inch MBA still worth it / a good choice? Saw the new Macbook and not really a fan due to the limited USB ports.

15. jcruze057

jcruze057 Member

So is it official? Mba 11" 2016 is none, i checked apple store they dont sell mba 11" but it is stll a lot more powerful than macbook 12"

16. textguru

textguru Active Member

Hi guys,

I am planning to buy a MacBook Air, but still thinking if I will just wait for next month if Tim will announce a new model of MacBook. Your thoughts please...

17. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

If About this Mac says it's Early 2015, then it's early 2015 model. Check this out ...

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook-air/index-macbook-air.html

18. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Well-Known Member

The best time to buy a computer is when you need it. If you badly need to have one now--i.e. if not buying a new one now will result in loss of productivity, business opportunity and the likes--then by all means buy one now.

However, as it appears to me that you can still hold off until June, it would seem that buying a new one isn't an urgent need. If so, just wait if Apple launches a refresh of the MacBook during WWDC, which is just around the corner (June 5). Having said that, do note that, assuming that a new MacBook is indeed launched early next month, there is no guarantee that stocks will be available during launch day--and even so, it might take some time before they're actually available in the Philippines if you plan to buy it there. To sum up--if you can wait that long, buying a new Mac is definitely not an urgent need--and it is therefore best that you wait and see if there is any new product that will be launched in WWDC that you might prefer over the current MacBook Air.

Note: Rumor has it that Apple will be launching a new MacBook Pro, MacBook--and possibly a MacBook Air on June 5. You may refer to this MacRumors article for more details: Apple to Announce New MacBook, MacBook Pro, and Possibly MacBook Air at WWDC.

Hope this helps. ;)

#18 Qin Zhi, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017
    paolo., Sunil_K and penmanila like this.
  19. textguru

textguru Active Member

thanks. I visited Switch yesterday and decided to get MBP. Cheers

Qin Zhi likes this.
  20. manerdie

manerdie Active Member

Plus it uses a faster ssd compared to the 2015 11" and 13" macbook air with 4gb ram out of the box