2016 Formula One Season

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Roman, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

I want Rosberg to win this time. Go Nico!

gaol likes this.
  2. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

So there you have it. Nico wins the WDC 34 years after his dad Keke won it. Congrats!

Wonder how Lewis's antics will go down during the team debrief. Stay tuuuuuned.

3. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

Congratulations, Nico! You totally deserve it this time--after what I feel/believe was team pressure against you last year.

4. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

Congratulations, Nico! You got something to show your dad now.

Frankly, I was disappointed and disheartened by Hamilton's disobedience of team orders to speed up and not to interfere with the race results, not to try and get Rosberg down in the rankings and give Hamilton a chance to win.

To give you an idea of how much Lewis deliberately slowed down to do this, his latter times were 9 seconds slower than his fastest. Man. That's really low, Lewis. You had your turn, give others their chance. Good thing your antics didn't work.

My respect for you just went down a couple of notches.

gaol likes this.
  5. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

Graham's and Damon's was also 34 years apart. :eek:

Roman likes this.
  6. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

Is Nico a better driver than Lewis? No.

Does Nico deserve to be WDC? Yes, absolutely! And many congratulations to him.

Did Lewis act like a selfish SOB? Why, yes, of course, which is to be expected of any F1 champion/team principal/owner. No room for nice guys at the top of this sport. (And that's why Max V has a great future, potentially, as he fits the mold.)

upw111 and Roman like this.
  7. upw111

upw111 Member

D.C. really tough in asking both merc drivers to shake hands again during the podium interview.

8. extremebluemagic

extremebluemagic Well-Known Member

Nico Rosberg Just Announced He Is Retiring From Formula 1 Immediately

No it’s not April Fools’ Day, no it’s not clickbait, you really did just read that correctly.

Having won this year’s Formula 1 World Championship, Nico Rosberg just announced that he is retiring. Immediately.

A statement from Rosberg read:

“Since 25 years in racing, it has been my dream, my ‘one thing’ to become Formula One World Champion. Through the hard work, the pain, the sacrifices, this has been my target.And now I’ve made it. I have climbed my mountain, I am on the peak, so this feels right. My strongest emotion right now is deep gratitude to everybody who supported me to make that dream happen.

9. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

Crazy news! Now wondering who'll fill his seat.

10. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

If by some crazy chance it's Verstappen, I have one guess as to who's going to be the de facto number 1 driver at Merc, and someone's not going to like it. ;)

11. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

Haha that's a bit of a stretch si Max is already confirmed for 2017. Best bet maybe is Pascal Wehrlein.

12. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    Nico deserved the WDC! And waking up to news of his announcement to retire is really surprising, at first. And then I realized how much focus he devoted to winning the title this year. His goal was to win just one, and that was enough.

It's like saying, "I've won it. No need to do it again. I have more important things to do." Which is pretty bada$$ I think, to be able to walk away from something many other drivers so highly covet -- which is to defend the title and repeat as champion. That's what total freedom is all about.

Good luck Nico!

13. Dekra

Bit of a shame to see him leave the sport abruptly, I understand the whole family card and accomplishing your one goal, but he could have at least notified Mercedes well ahead or at least announce that he'll be retiring at the end of 2017.

This shock announcement leaves at lot of unanswered questions on the table, and probably fueling the conspiracy theories all the more. Mercedes is now left scrambling for a (suitable) replacement. Logic tells us it is Pascal Wehrlein like what Roman said - he is after all a product of their Young Driver program. He is currently unsigned so that's the easy route. He DID score a point for Manor, is likely to follow team orders and wouldn't trouble Lewis as a typical #2 driver.

Alonso?
    Vettel?
    Jenson?
    Maldonado?

Mick Schumacher to Mercedes? Now that would be Bernie's wet dream!

Roman likes this.
  14. Dekra

upw111 likes this.
  15. upw111

upw111 Member

16. upw111

upw111 Member