2015 NBA Season

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by macxchange, Jun 16, 2014.

1. docnico

docnico PhilMUG Addict Member

Looking at just the last 4 Finals is inadequate due to a small sample size. Eleven out of the last 16 NBA champions were from the West. Even the NBA has acknowledged the disparity in that there have been suggestions to change the conference format. Factor in the premise that Western teams are "banged up" by the time they reach the Finals, then that makes 11/16 even greater.

Oh, and that last four would have been 3-1 too in favor of the West, had it not been for a Kawhi missed free throw and that Ray Allen three.

2. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

I've posted this link earlier...

LeBron James' NBA Finals runs come with an asterisk | SB Nation

And here's something from Sports Illustrated
    Does NBA need playoff reform? LeBron, Cavs sweep Hawks to reach Finals - NBA - SI.com

3. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

@aragorn_109 & @ice thanks for clearing that up. :) & dont forget that the heat's first title with the big 3 came during a lock out shortened season.. not the full 82 games...

@iJingo don't get me wrong. Cavs are a great team (with or without Kevin Love) & have a great chance of winning the whole thing & in no small part because of lebron's dominance. but you have to admit that his teams chances of coming out on top are increased simply because his teams have all been in the less stressful & less competitive eastern conference his entire career.

& for some historical perspective, that was the same knock against the 80s Lakers back then, since it was the eastern conference that was perceived as the tougher conference between the east & the west in that era. The lakers (who went to the finals 9 times from the 80s to early 90s) were said to have no real competition in the west thats why it always ended up in the finals versus (insert your favorite eastern conference team here) :)

#1223 greta87, May 28, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015
  4. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

James Harden was vintage today...it reminded me of his OKC days.

5. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

[​IMG]

Let's go Cavs haha

6. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

7. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

LOL. Pa copy ha. Will make this my profile pic in FB.

8. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

Well im not surprised with the Bulls front office bonehead decision making - they just fired Coach Thibs.

9. wattleferdz

wattleferdz Active Member

^ And a little bit disrespectful with the way they did so too. Thibs deserve more than that.

#1229 wattleferdz, May 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 29, 2015
  10. shifty_md

shifty_md Active Member

Can't say I'm not surprised though. Thibs had a way of running his own players to the ground for the latter part of his tenure with the Bulls.

11. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

Fighting with your boss can result in you getting fired (or not renewed), especially in the Bulls' organization, no matter how good you are as a coach. Just ask Phil Jackson.

And then there's this trend...

Coach of the Year awardees since 2007-2008: Avery Johnson, Sam Mitchell, Byron Scott, Mike Brown, Scott Brooks, Tom Thibodeau, Gregg Popovich, George Karl, Mike Budenholzer.

Every one of them was dismissed by the team which they coached when they won the award. Outlier is Pop, who else. Watch out Bud!

12. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

I agree...

I mean, just look at his roster... The Bulls will make the playoffs in the East... No need to give extra minutes to his rotation guys...

If Pop (Spurs) didn't have injury issues this year, T. Duncan wouldn't play more than 35 minutes...

Maybe that's the reason why Pop still has his job...

Popovich’s $11M leads North American coaches | SportsNet

13. lmd052300

lmd052300 Member

Fun series to watch so far s

14. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

Curry is supposed to be the first NBA player who went or will go head to head with his fellow members of the NBA's First Team Selection. Having gone through 3 other members from the western conference in the earlier rounds & going up against Lebron, the only eastern conference selectee, in the Finals.

[​IMG]

15. civic05

civic05 Active Member

guys,

who'll be watching the nba finals over at nba cafe? or maybe we could have one ;)

16. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Will he play Game 1 or won't he?

Yesterday they said he's out but now Klay Thompson may be fit to play despite his concussion.

That frickin Trevor Ariza tried to wipe out both Splash Brothers. :p (yeah yeah I know it's not his fault Curry used him as a trampoline and "maybe" he didn't knee Thompson in the head on purpose)

17. Jess

Jess PhilMUG Addict Member

i want the Cavs to win but i will not bet against Steph Curry and the Golden State Warriors.

O.T.

I miss Bill Simmons' podcast channels. I am a Lakers fan but Simmons work is awesome.

18. lawrencebosox45

lawrencebosox45 Active Member

Dirk's 2011 run has to be special too, because he really beat some super loaded (superstar + good teams) teams.... young and hungry Blazers lead by Aldridge, Lakers (who still had healthy Kobe, Pau, Odom, Bynum and Phil Jackson), a super duper loaded OKC team (still had harden/durant/westbrook/ibaka), then the big three Heat.

Dirk didn't really have a superstar with him too. Chandler was awesome but its obvious now that that team was just an epic team with a plan.

Steph Curry has Draymon green (who is so damn good/valuable is scary), a klay thompson (who can score 30 and explode for 50 on any given night), and a defensive/offensive anchor with a healthy bogut.

19. macjobber

macjobber PhilMUG Addict Member

I like the Harrison Barnes. He could be the third most valuable Warriors player ü

20. memphis

memphis Well-Known Member

Baliktad tayo. Hehe. I don't want the Cavs to win this Finals without Love playing.