2015 NBA Season

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by macxchange, Jun 16, 2014.

1. ransom

ransom PhilMUG Addict Member

DeAndre Jordan shot just 6 of 17 from the line. Pop is gonna have his way with the guy all throughout the series.

2. jpatrickn

jpatrickn Active Member

If you watched the game, the spurs were leading by 10 when they used the hack-a-jordan and it backfired on them because the clips got back in the game because the flow was disrupted even for the spurs. In the OT, they did not use this anymore. The spurs almost lost because of this and got Manu fouled out and Duncan his 5th foul in the 4th qrtr. If not for Patty Mills, the spurs would be down 0-2.

3. ransom

^^^Thanks for the synopsis, yeah, didn't get to watch as I'm at work. Still, I expect Pop (and every other coach the Clippers face) to exploit that weakness every chance he gets.

4. jpatrickn

jpatrickn Active Member

Yup, it's a valid strategy for sure. I think that there's a stat that says the clips win more games when opposing teams employ the hack a jordan on them. Not 100% sure though.

It was a terrific game and TD was vintage Timmy.

5. docnico

docnico PhilMUG Addict Member

Parker is questionable for the series. He's been a liability all game that it was sort of a blessing in disguise for the Spurs that they used Patty Mills instead.

6. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

I believe the stat was the Clippers are 9-0 when opposing teams employ the Hack-a-Jordan tactic and Jordan attempts more than 12 free throws, whatever percentage he makes. I saw this stat during the last game.

DJ attempted 17 free throws this game so I guess they're now 9-1 with that.

7. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

Why you'd like to keep Jordan in the game is that he gets rebounds, which translates to possessions. He gave them 5 extra possessions with his OREBs today. The Clips scored 1.16 points per possession, so he gave them almost 6 points extra. If he hits his free throws at the league average of 75% he would have scored 6 more points from his FTs. So just on OREBs the hack-a-Jordan tactic is a wash. If you count his DREBs too, well, you'd come to the same conclusion as Doc did, and keep him in the game as much as you can.

Rebounds, esp. offensive ones, are such an underrated stat. It's the reason why opposing coaches called Rodman the MVP of the Bulls in their second three-peat, as George Karl did after the 96 Finals.

8. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

9. iammarco

iammarco Member

The Hack-a-Jordan worked. But after DeAndre missed his free throws, the Clippers got so many offensive rebounds. Spurs also missed a lot of close (almost point-blank) shots when they had possession, a couple from Diaw and also from Duncan.

10. scoflip

scoflip Well-Known Member

I feel you on this, every victory gives me a beautiful mood and every losses dampens my day. Even if I don't live in DC, I've seen every ups and downs (mostly downs) of the team (Wizards). From Michael Jordan to Gilbert Arenas to John Wall. From being a late night comedy punchline because of the gun incident to being a much respectable franchise today. I endure a lot of losing seasons and tons of injuries to star players and I'm happy the team is finally on the right direction. We might not contend for the Championship but we are one star away from being a threat on the weak Eastern Conference.

PS.
    I also subscribe to NBA league pass almost every season because of lack of nationally televised games. So there's that.

11. docnico

docnico PhilMUG Addict Member

From Ray Allen (vs Spurs) to Kyrie Irving (vs Spurs), and now to Steph Curry. When will coaches ever learn to foul intentionally when you're up by 3 points in the dying seconds?

12. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

Monty wanted to.

"The lead began to dwindle, slowly at first, and the crowd stirred uneasily. The Pelicans couldn't get a defensive rebound. Possessions got tighter. Davis missed a free throw. Suddenly it was a three-point game, Warriors ball, and coach Monty Williams gave instructions to foul. They didn't.

Williams has been killed all year long by the locals for his strategies and in-game tactics. But in the last few months a different feeling has emerged. There's admiration for the way he kept this team together through all the injuries and for the way Davis has developed from an All-Star to an MVP candidate. This sequence wasn't on Williams, it was on a team that's still learning how to play through these situations.

"We were supposed to foul," Williams said. "We've had that happen to us a couple of times and we shouldn't have even had that shot take place. We just didn't execute and that's on all of us, but we were supposed to foul."

This is what you get for trying, Pelicans - SBNation.com

13. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Just saw the Clippers-Spurs (Game 3) score...

What happened? Did the Spurs have A/C issues again?

14. ransom

Wonder if the Clippers can recover psycologically? I'm a Spurs fan, but I feel so sorry for LA.

15. antski

antski Well-Known Member

Clippers were completely dismantled! Duncan with 4 points only?!

16. lmd052300

lmd052300 Member

If clips still dismantled next game then we can say its over

17. scoflip

scoflip Well-Known Member

Paul Pi3rc3 is as good as advertised. He is indeed a clutch performer!

18. extreme16199

extreme16199 Member

the wizards thoroughly whupped the raptors' collective behinds. back to the drawing boards for TO, and i hope the drawing board sheds any or all of the following: casey, derozan, valanciunas, ross, and williams.

(rant on) iso-ball/hero-ball must stop for this team. the main reason why they were so successful the season they traded away rudy gay was because they made the extra pass and swung the ball to the open man (much like how the spurs, hawks, and warriors played this year). this year, the ball was often either in the hands of derozan or williams, allowing them to go one-on-one almost every single play. the so-called plays they did were to simply free up one of the 2 for their isolation. they've never been a particularly strong defensive team, but the previous year something clicked. people got touches, they enjoyed playing, they defended better. now, everyone's just standing around. JV and ross simply plateaued, and the most frustrating thing about it is that they are simply terrible defensively despite having the physical tools to succeed. on to casey, i've always thought he seemed like a nice guy - level headed, composed, and well-spoken. where are the offensive plays, though? it takes the shine off the team's offensive capabilities, which clearly is the team's strong suit (despite the constant iso-ball). he always preached defense but it's all empty talk if your team can't defend - might have been better off committing to better, more fluid offense.

the fanbase is great from a support standpoint, but what free agent wants to play here if you piss on them (boos galore) when a player doesn't play up to par or leaves the team (whether by choice or not). furthermore, they seem always insecure about not receiving any props for their current success. they are the "rodney dangerfield" of the NBA, as they always feel that "they don't get no respect". anytime anyone has something to say that is perceived as a slight, they act like deranged rottweilers out for blood - but turning out to be yelping chihuahuas out for some dog food.

anyway, i still support the team and will always keep my mouth shut about their failings until after the season is done. maybe they should just package a couple of the above mentioned players for andrew wiggins. (rant off)

the wizards thoroughly deserved the sweep, so congrats to them. thanks for giving the raptors a jarring reality check.

#958 extreme16199, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  19. ransom

Clips are still in the race.

20. shifty_md

shifty_md Active Member

Whoever wins game 5 takes the series for the Spurs-Clips matchup. Theirs have been by far the most entertaining series.