2015 NBA Season

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by macxchange, Jun 16, 2014.

1. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

speaking of Detroit... Just watched a couple of ESPN 30 for 30 documentaries: Bad Boys and Bernie & Ernie, both recommended, esp. Bad Boys.

Robert Parrish raining closed-fist blows on Bill Laimbeer has got to be the greatest NBA footage of all time. And he wasn't even ejected. OK, I need to watch it again now.

2. lawrencebosox45

lawrencebosox45 Active Member

the bad boys 30 for 30 is so good that even laker fans and celtic fans of that era end up appreciating that HATED team.

I didn't realize what hardship that team had to go through to finally get over the hump and win a title. Such bad heartbreaking deep playoff/finals losses. They literally lost in the most heartbreaking ways at every playoff level before winning.

Then again Jordan had to endure the same type of losing... first to the Celtics then those very Bad Boy Pistons... back in the 80's and 90's those teams really had to slay their demons.

3. SE20

^True. These days the demons are on the Internet LOL.

I almost forgot my other favorite scene from that film - Larry Legend using his great passing skills to absolutely HURL the ball at Laimbeer’s head during a dead ball.

4. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

those were the days, ain't it?

miss them all - the showtime lakers, the legendary celtics, and pistons bad boys...

and let's not forget, the bungling, bumbling clippers (almost forgot who they were then...)

5. shifty_md

shifty_md PhilMUG Addict Member

What separates the 80's Lakers and Celts were that they stayed gracious even in defeat, until even when MJ's Bulls swept the Lakers for their first title. The Bad Boys were the sorest of losers during their time.

6. courtside3

courtside3 PhilMUG Addict Member

The Lakers won against the league-leading Warriors today ( and with plenty to spare), thereby providing anecdotal evidence to support advanced-metrics stats that show them to be much better when Kobe Bryant isn't on the floor.

7. tidus1203

tidus1203 Member

Let's give it a few more games to conclude. But poor shooting from Bryant (the absence of it) is definitely a big help in any game...

8. courtside3

courtside3 PhilMUG Addict Member

From numbers provided by NBA.com, opponents are outscoring the Lakers by more than 13 points per 100 possessions with Bryant on the floor. Meanwhile, the purple and gold are 11 points better than their competition (also per 100 possessions) when he isn't around.

Having said that, I'm certain no one buys tickets to games of the Lakers in order to see them approach mediocrity. Backsides are in seats because Bryant is burning rubber.

Maybe Staples Center habitués are just plain loyal. Maybe they want to see a train wreck. Maybe they're masochists. Whatever the reason, they aim to see a product featuring Bryant. And, right or wrong, they're getting it until he hangs up his jersey. :)

9. SE20

Pau Gasol with a career-high 46 points to go with 18 rebounds. Darn, she's still good. ;)

10. Jess

Jess PhilMUG Addict Member

i know Pau is soft but he is still a "he".

11. SE20

Yes, you're right.

In fact, Marc has never scored more than 32 in a game, well below his sister's high.

(Don't get me wrong, I'm a Pau fan haha)

12. Jess

The Bulls are indeed the most dangerous team in the East. Jimmy Butler is already a star in my opinion and Mirotic can ball.

The West though is downright intense. I think Golden State and the Clips will make their moves soon to fortify their line ups. The funny thing though is all road will still lead to San Antonio. :p

13. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

The philmug NBA boards have been unusually quiet this late into the season. Reasons? 1). This lakers team sucks, 2). This celtics team sucks 3). The Knicks suck even more. 4). OKC hasn't hit its stride (perhaps never will this season). 5). Lebron's Cavs have been generally a dud so far. 6). The Bulls are so so 7) Hawks, Raptors & Washington are 1,2 3 in the East.. 8) Warriors & Blazers are 1 &2 in the west. 9). Even the defending champs , the spurs, are no. 7 in the west.... Who would have thought???

14. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

I have a feeling that there will be a new champion this year. :D

15. tidus1203

tidus1203 Member

Yep would not bet against history. Spurs have never defended their crown ever even if they already won 5 championships since 1999...

16. greta87

I forgot to mention that the NBA is sorely missing its stars... Who have been in & out of the disabled list &those who are gone for the season... There's Paul George, KD, Westbrook, Lebron, DRose, DH, Demar, Nash & the list goes on.. & weird thing is that Anthony Davis, who's probably one of the best players now, has no national TV exposure this season

17. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Active Member

I agree. Since the Lakers suck, I've sort of decided to root for the Warriors and the Grizz, but can't really bring myself to watch their every game. I even try to tell myself to watch the Pelicans and the Bucks, but my attention span is too short with these teams.

I haven't clicked on ESPN in ages, and LA times very rarely. Maybe after the all star break, or when the playoffs start.

18. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Active Member

Any thoughts on this article? I don't understand enough of analytics to determine if the writer is merely a Kobe hater, or is actually right. His thesis is that even the triple double Kobe who has been showing up lately is still bad for LAL - numbers are still better without him than with him:

Meet The New Kobe, Same As The Old Kobe | BBALLBREAKDOWN

P.SI think all the posts about Kobe's supposed interaction with current teammates is colored to say the least, but I don't know how to address the numbers.

19. greta87

^ nothing that we havent heard already. He's essentially saying that Kobe's a d**khead who's overpaid, overrated and lucky enough to have 5 rings. :)

20. Jess

The Boston Celtics are prime to cash in starting this coming draft. In a watered down East, it would not shock me if they are in the playoffs next season. Danny Ainge has proven to be an above average GM to say the least. Mitch Kupchak should start the fire sale already. i am sure the Cavs will trade for Jordan Hill using their Brendan Haywood chip plus a pick. i think Swaggy P can also be traded. i think the Raptors among others could use a guy like Swaggy P to bolster their postseason run.

If Kevin Love opts in as the reports are saying, by 2016 the Lakers are prime to make a run at KD, Kevin Love and LeBron among others.