2.4Ghz macbook aluminum or 2.26Ghz macbook pro 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by bugs, Jun 20, 2009.

1. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

my mom just came from the states & she got me a 2.4Ghz macbook aluminum. she bought the unit a few days before the release of the new mbp. i was actually eyeing the 13"mbp because of the long battery life, firewire & sd card slot. but im kinda worried about the built in battery, coz if it conks out, it might be difficult to replace the battery. should i stick w/ the macbook aluminum? or sell it & get myself the new mbp?

2. chairman

chairman Moderator
    Staff Member

between the 2.4 and 2.26, i'm leaning towards the 2.4 ghz. better specs. I hardly use firewire and an SD card reader is cheap.

The 2.4 Ghz gives you a faster processor and a bigger hard drive. How mobile will you be that you need 7 hours of batt life?

3. macdrive007

macdrive007 Well-Known Member

I agree with chairman. Based on specs (both are of the current technology), faster processors have better benchmarks. Just upgrade later to the maximum RAM capacity.

But... if you value firewire like I do, I prefer the 2.53ghz 13" MBP - I'll snub the 2.26ghz. SD Card reader (50 pesos at CD-R King) and battery life (take the tutorial for battery maintenance) won't be that much of a factor. 250gb HDD is minimum for me... :)

4. Sabonis

Sabonis Active Member

I would put a lot of value in the MacBook 2.4 since this was a gift from your Mom and you can't put any price on that.

Both are superb machines. Use it and appreciate the blessings that come upon us.

Hope I was able to help you with your dilemma.

5. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

I agree with the suggestions technically and your mom gave that to you. I would consider it as a precious gift no matter what. Hope my mom will send a gift too. LOL

6. bugs

Supporter

thank you for your replies! very much appreciated! :) macbook aluminum it is!

7. jondextan

jondextan Member

is there a way for you to replace it?

8. bugs

Supporter

hmmm i doubt it coz my mom bought it in the states & i think she left the receipt there.

9. glennp00

glennp00 Member

stay with the 2.4ghz unibody

10. Vinuox

Vinuox Member

that macbook aluminum is a rare piece of mac machine as well.. i mean, it was never updated nor had upgrades next to it.. it's the only macbook aluminum since Apple returned to the polycarbonate one again..^^

11. clcabatbat

clcabatbat Member

ayos na yan. nabili na eh, pero kung bibili ka palang mas maganda yung mbp 2.26 para sakin kasi mas kelangan ko ung 7hours battery life,firewire at card reader :p

12. anthonyramos84

Spec wise, the 2.4 Macbook is better because of its faster processor.

Now, if things like a SD Card Reader, an extra 2 hours of battery life and firewire are really important for you, then go with the newer version. :)

13. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Don't forget that the screens of the 13 Macbook Pro is of higher quality then the unibody Macbook.

14. chairman

chairman Moderator
    Staff Member

has anyone here compared them side by side? how different are they in real world use?

15. angel_benet

angel_benet Active Member

screen looks a lot better:

[​IMG]

16. anthonyramos84

Awesome side-by-side picture! The 13" macbook pro screen produces way better blacks than the macbook. :)

17. gensankid

gensankid Member

yup, looks much better, 2.4ghz has a maximum of 4gb mem while the 2.26ghz goes for 8gb max, been choosing between these two for a week now, might as well go for the pro, a difference of only P3,990.00 (after someone buys my white mb of course)

#17 gensankid, Jun 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  18. anthonyramos84

Ah nearly forgot about the 4Gb RAM limitation of the 2.4 Unibody. But most people can't even fully utilize even 2Gb of RAM. So to most people even 4Gb of RAM is overkill. If you do video editing and love opening a few hundred of photos in Photoshop in the RAW format (like me), then the 8Gb RAM limit of the new MBP would be a plus. But if you are not a heavy user, 2Gb of RAM is more than good enough. :)

19. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

as far as i know, unibody macbook can handle up to 6 gb of ram:)

20. anthonyramos84

True. Unofficially unibody macs can handle 6Gb of RAM in their systems.:)