13" 2.53Ghz Macbook Pro or 15" 2.66Ghz Macbook Pro (March 2009)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by anthonyramos84, Jun 16, 2009.

1. anthonyramos84

Hi guys, could you guys help me decide on this? I am trying to decide if I should get the newer 13" macbook pro or go for the older model 2.66Ghz since the prices have dropped to a very tempting low.

I play games, use photoshop and so far my older 2.4 unibody MB works well enough for me. Would it be overkill getting a 2.66Ghz system?

#1 anthonyramos84, Jun 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  2. airhootie

airhootie Active Member

why ruin a good thing they say. if you're doing pretty much ok with your current mac then it still would be fine. save a penny for a rainy day.

3. alikishi

alikishi Well-Known Member

there's not much difference between your old one and the new one. Just save up for a bigger upgrade in the future

4. pilgrim28

pilgrim28 Active Member

I agree, specially the announcement of the new Nvidia GPU that will surely replace the current Mac GPU. This will be perfect for playing demanding games like COD4 and Crysis.

5. reorx

reorx Member

you currently have a unibody 2.4 and youre already contemplating upgrading??? Woah.

I agree, the prospect of GT series NVIDIA chips and possibly quad core processors on the next bump is too tantalizing to miss. I suggest waiting as well, since the new models will bestow VERY minimal upgrades to your current macbook

6. glennp00

glennp00 Member

i dont think you'll see much difference if you upgrade to the 13"macbook pro 2.5 since you already have the 2.4 unibody, get the 15"mbp 2.6ghz

7. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

I have both a first gen unibody Macbook 2.4 AND a 17 inch unbody 2.66. The 2.66 Macbook Pro is only slightly faster. I agree with most of the folks here -Not worth the upgrade my friend. Next year might be a big jump with the upcoming quad core Macbook Pros and new GPUs.

Save up and get a even better Macbook Pro next year. :)

8. kzsalazar

kzsalazar New Member

I agree, not a wise decision to upgrade. Suggest to stick to what you have now since there's not much difference. Save up for a major upgrade instead. :)

9. gumball

gumball Member

Upgrading to the new 13" MacBook Pro isn't a good idea unless you need the FireWire 800, SD card slot and a better display. The biggest turn off for me is that it still has an integrated GPU. The increase in the CPU processing speed does not make a huge difference in terms of performance. If your Mac still works for your purposes, there is no need to upgrade.

10. anthonyramos84

hi guys thanks for the replies! I think you are all very well versed with all that you mentioned.

Actually, I was able to sell my month-old Unibody Macbook two weeks ago just before the new Macbook Pros were announced. Was able to sell the Macbook at a very good price. (72k to be exact) I got it at 76k.

So now, from what you all mentioned, since I don't really need all the extra power of a discreet graphics card, I'll get the 13" MBP and then save the extra 20k for a future upgrade. Thanks for knocking some sense into me. :)

11. mig

mig Active Member

If your 2.4 worked fine for you, you'll do well with the 2.53. In fact, the 2.26 will do well enough for you. Just upgrade the ram and hard drive as the 0.27ghz "boost" won't give you a noticeable difference at all.

I seriously suggest you get the 2.26 one and upgrade the ram and HD. A 2.26 with 4gb of ram and a 320gb/7200rpm drive would still come out cheaper than the 2.53. You get an overall upgrade (marginally slower processor, but better battery and screen) AND you might potentially gain from your expenditure.

12. decimalcat

decimalcat Member

In terms of Photoshop (or After Effects) use, our graphic artist mentioned that the difference in performance is only noticeable in rendering time. But the difference is at best, minimal.

So, I agree with the others here. I'd say wait it out for a better machine.

13. ishg

ishg I'm female!
    Staff Member

@decimalcat please don't post pad. This thread has been dormant for almost a year now and I don't see why you had to revive it.

Welcome to philmug.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

14. johncap

johncap New Member

Hey, Im new. I was hoping on some suggestions about some performance upgrades for my Mac Book Pro 2009 model. 13" Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.26GHz, 2GB memory. I'm not satisfied with its performance, sometimes it lags, and its not that fast. I have compared it to our new Mac Book Pro that we bought 2 months ago, and its really fast compared to this. So what can you suggest that I can buy for my mac to make it faster and better overall? thanks.

Whoops, sorry for replying.

15. teamjm

teamjm Well-Known Member

upgrade the rams and HD. pm me if you need one :)

16. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

the base model MacBook Pro 2009 is very competitive. - However, YOUR system's performance could have degraded because of the way your using it. (i.e. your practice of usage and maintenance)

clean up your system... run OnyX and reset your PRAM.

assuming you're MBP is still in its stock configuration, upgrade your RAM to 8GB (4,000 pesos - IT'S WORTH IT!)

then upgrade your HDD to a 7200RPM drive. I'd recommend a Western Digital Scorpio Black over Seagate if you're after the performance gain.

I could have suggested an SSD upgrade, but I have no idea what you're using your computer for - and those might not be able to justify an SSD upgrade.