11 or 13-inch MacBook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by Reggie, Oct 21, 2010.

?

Which MacBook Air would you prefer?

1. 11-inch MacBook Air

185 vote(s)
    59.7%
  2. 13-inch MacBook Air

87 vote(s)
    28.1%
  3. Don't care. I'm not the MacBook Air type.

20 vote(s)
    6.5%
  4. iPad all the way!

18 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. drknight888

drknight888 Active Member

i agree. my mbp 15inch i5, ipad 64gb 3G will suffice for now. and buy new macbook with lion os x built-in.

2. ikitub

ikitub Active Member

we're on the same boat... if ever i'm really going to a buy a new mac.. i want Lion to be pre-installed already..

3. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

+1 a very practical advice. The new Air maybe sexy and beautiful but it is also a not so good value for money compared to a MBP+iPad

4. weirdohenrico

weirdohenrico Member

The MacBook Air isn't a netbook. I am okay with the price.

5. AndrewGonzales

13" the 11" is too small for me ... Getting old :)

6. Mann

Mann Member

to each his own, and it all boils down to one's preference/needs. i read this comment in gizmodo which i totally agree with:

"it's all a question of what you want, what you're willing to pay to get it, and if it isn't worth it to you then don't buy it. The point is that if this isn't something you'd buy, don't worry about it move on, and don't complain. The only reason I can see why someone would ever complain is if it was truly what they wanted, and they couldn't afford it. And really that says more about their own income earning ability vs their wants than it does about the product and its pricing"

7. John H

John H Member

Haha that is true but only partly true. Don't forget there exist also cheap skates who have all the money in the world but couldn't simply part with it. Lets face it these days, 1 or 2K USD isn't really a lot of money, anyone can save and earn that much if they put their mind into it.

8. maracid

maracid Member

I'll likely get the 11-inch MBA.

9. GEEboy

GEEboy Member

11incher for me! :cool:

i find the "hackintoshed" dell mini 9s and 10s to be so "cute" being able to run OSX in those tiny shells...

at least now there is an official baby macbook for that! just wait for 10.7 so you can that lion's "roar" free... ;)

10. MaLt-

MaLt- Member

In love with the macbook air. :D

I like the 11inch one. :D

OT:

anyone knows what the background song is playing on the minifeature video of the macbook air? Ganda eh..

11. John H

John H Member

I wonder how this "Instant on" works. Perhaps similar to the iPad? Also, I noticed that they removed the keyboard backlight...

12. docnico

docnico PhilMUG Addict Member

I have to wait for official reviews this time around. I used to have a 1.6 GHz Macbook Air, and I couldn't even run iTunes, view a Safari website with flash and edit a Microsoft Word document at the same time without the Mac heating up and slowing down. I don't know if the SSD and better video card of this new Macbook Air can fix that even if the processor goes down to 1.6 GHz. No use for getting an OS X powered device if we can't multi-task on it. If I'll just use it for simple Facebook/Twitter or watch videos, then I'll be better of with the iPad.

I see no reason to dispatch my Macbook Pro at this time. But for first time Mac users, this Macbook Air may be a good option.

13. ewe_17

ewe_17 Member

"Don't care. I'm not the MacBook Air type." - MBP all the way! :p

14. NeilJohn

NeilJohn Active Member

The minimum specs for the MBA (4gb ram, 256 GB HD) that I've been waiting for has finally arrived. It may be time to look for a new owner for my well loved MBP, and go for the lighter alternative. But I'll wait for reviews first. :D

15. Salaryman Ryan

I can see how many frequent travelers will find this very tempting. If you are a frequent traveler and disappointed by the limitations of the iPad and find the Macbook Pro a bit too heavy then I can see why the air is quite a good investment for you. The price is a bit high but the specs is decent, especially now the storage is flash integrated on the motherboard and not just an SSD connected to a SATA port. I assume this will make many functions of the OS snappier and faster.

16. pctan1584

pctan1584 Well-Known Member

I am justifying this to myself if this will replace my Fujitsu tablet. I also have the most recent MBP 15" and an Ipad. Right now, the MBP stays at home, the Fujitsu at the office and traveling with the ipad. There were several occasions that i needed a notebook while traveling. Hmmmmm i will go for the 11.6, getting the wife to agree will be the hard part.

17. NeilJohn

NeilJohn Active Member

I totally agree with your sentiment. I travel often and yes, I have both an MBP and an iPad. I look at the latter more as an entertainment medium rather than a workhorse, but little work can still be done such as answering emails, making comments on short documents, etc. The MBP is where office work is done, thus the specs requirement for the MBA. It just makes travelling a bit lighter.

I think the SSD is what's driving the MBA prices quite high. But if we want that speed and storage, we must be ready to pay the price. It would also be good to look at it as an investment since it is used for work. If the compensation we get out of using the MBA is good enough, maybe it'll write itself off in a year. :D

18. macychic

macychic Member

MBA 11inch for me :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. chrisboy

chrisboy New Member

13" MBP is still a better value considering the specs.

imo they should have made the screen edges black. the silver edging is passe!

20. Salaryman Ryan

Of course, you are trading expandability, power and capacity for light weight portability (not to mention SSDs). If compared to a regular laptop/Macbook these are indeed pricy but the MBP and Air are not in the same class. The Air is an is a ultra portable and should be compared to the likes of the Dell Adamo or HP Envy not the Macbook Pro. For an ultra portable the Air is very competitive if not the best in its class, at the moment.