10 hours on a Macbook!!! (AKA Funny Battery Level Bug)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by filjedi, Jan 25, 2009.

1. filjedi

filjedi Member

Sorry, I just had to share this. When I powered on my Early 2008 Macbook this morning, I was pleasantly surprised:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe this is the secret to the 17" Macbook Pro's 8 hours of battery life ;)

2. Odysseus

Odysseus Active Member

Impressive. Hope it stays that way. You've beaten the supposedly 8-hour battery life of the new 17 inch MBP! Hahaha.

3. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

@filjedi: I'm curious. When was the last time you calibrated the battery? :)

4. elbert

elbert Active Member

Not a bug, and not 10 hours, but here's mine (taken just now):

This was taken from a 99% charge, a few minutes after disconnecting the MagSafe.

[​IMG]

Obviously, this is not the way things are normally, but it is possible, and it's done with the settings I use when on a plane:
    - Screen brightness is as dim as possible
    - I have a network location setting called No Network, wherein all network ports are removed
    - Bluetooth is off
    - AirPort is off
    - only a few basic software running (Mail, Safari and Word)

5. filjedi

filjedi Member

FYI, I usually keep the Macbook unplugged when I use it. I only charge it when the battery level goes below 10% and, more often than not, I inadvertently ignore the low battery warnings and my laptop goes to sleep. When this happens, I usually charge to full power and only disconnect the power adapter when I'm done working. Then, I either put the laptop to sleep or shut it down. So, I've never really calibrated the battery per se.

The funny thing is, this morning, after using the laptop for more than an hour, the battery level indicator didn't move at all. Even when I pressed the button on the battery itself, the indicator shows 5 lights. After powering off the laptop and powering it on after a few minutes, things went back to normal. Too good to be true I guess, hehe :p

6. mcblack

mcblack Member

Wow, does your rig really last for ten hours? Amazing if yes.

Btw, I also have an early 2008 MacBook. I've seen the same 10:00 on my battery indicator several times before, but I'm guessing it was some sort of a "spot" gauging as it only appears after waking my computer from a plugged sleep. Afterwards it displays a different time, the realistic one I believe, ranging from 5 hrs. down.

7. filjedi

filjedi Member

I wish it lasted that long, hehe.. In my case, I had to do a "shutdown-power-on" cycle before the battery level returned to normal. I'm not sure if a simple restart would have fixed the problem.