10.6.3 is out!

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by mindless, Mar 30, 2010.

1. mindless

mindless Member

The 10.6.3 Update is recommended for all users running Mac OS X Snow Leopard and includes general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac.

General operating system fixes and improvements provided for:

performance of Logic Pro 9 and Main Stage 2 when running in 64-bit mode.
    printing reliability.

sleep and wake reliability when using Bonjour wake on demand.

a color issue in iMovie with HD content.

glowing, stuck, or dark pixels when viewing video from the iMac (Late 2009) built-in iSight camera.

an issue in which the Finder reports a -36 error when copying directories to a drive formatted as FAT32.

reliability of photo screen savers.

compatibility issues with OpenGL-based applications.

an issue in which shadows in PDF of Aperture book are black instead of gray.

an issue in which the microphone level in iChat may not increase the volume after reducing it to prevent a feedback event.

the reliability of certain third-party USB devices.

the Accounts preference pane can now limit login to members of groups hosted by a non-Apple directory service, such as Active Directory.

DNS server ordering as specified in Network Preferences and DNS reliability. For details about how Mac OS X v10.6 handles unresponsive DNS servers, see this article.

the reliability and compatibility of QuickTime X.

Data Collection: Mac OS X v10.6.3 can collect diagnostic and usage information from your Mac and send it to Apple for analysis automatically. The information is only collected with your explicit consent, and is submitted anonymously to Apple.

AirPort and wireless networking fixes for:

general reliability for wireless connections.

improvements to 802.1X reliability, including closed network connections , and WPA2.

sleep/wake reliability for current iMac models when connected to 2.4GHz wireless networks.

Date and Time fixes provided for:

Daylight Saving Time rules to reflect recent changes in areas including Argentina, Fiji, Pakistan, and Antarctica.

Directory Services fixes provided for:

an issue that could cause the system to become unstable or unresponsive when bound to an LDAP server using SSL.

an issue in which the 802.1X Loginwindow Profile is in place, but the wireless network is not available, directory authentication over Ethernet will now succeed.

File Services fixes provided for:

an issue that could prevent saving files from Microsoft Office 2008 to an SMB server volume.

issues copying, renaming or deleting files on an SMB server volume.

clear-text authentication enabling to an SMB file server.

iCal fixes provided for:

changing the invitation list for a single instance of a recurring event will no longer "un-book" the location of the meeting.

an issue in which new invitations on a Microsoft Exchange server might not appear in the Notification pane.

properly showing recurring Microsoft Exchange events which have a set end date. For details, see this article.

Mail fixes and improvements provided for:

an issue that causes background message colors to display incorrectly in Mail.

signing and encrypting messages, such as when using an Entrust PKI (Public Key Infrastructure).

synchronization of the "Sent" mailbox on a Microsoft Exchange server.

an issue that could cause Mail to delete mailboxes on a Microsoft Exchange server that is hosted behind an Internet load balancer.

Mobile Accounts fixes and improvements provided for:

home directory synchronization when the home directory is stored on an SMB file server.

properly warning mobile users in an Active Directory domain about upcoming password expiration.

creating a Mobile Account that uses smart card authentication, without using a command-line tool.

reliability in background synchronization.

MobileMe fixes and improvements provided for:

an issue in which movies could not be viewed in Safari when visiting www.me.com/gallery.

reliability of iDisk Sync.

reliability of syncing calendars.

Parental Control fixes and improvements provided for:

restoring Safari bookmarks functionality to parental controls users.

better handling of Safari bookmark management when using Parental Controls.

more reliable application launch restrictions when using Parental Control.

Rosetta fixes provided for:

an issue that prevented files with the # or & characters in their names from opening in Rosetta applications.

System Imaging fixes and improvements provided for:

the asr command, which now accepts the "--allow fragmented catalog" option, for restoring images that have a fragmented catalog file. For details, type man asr in Terminal.

the installer command, which can now be used to upgrade a Mac OS X v10.5 system with a QuickTime 7 Pro key installed to Mac OS X v10.6.

Time Machine fixes and improvements provided for:

reliability from Time Machine-to-Time Capsule backups, including multiple computers.

an issue with Time Machine in which system backups could be restored onto unsupported Mac configurations.

an issue in which a Time Machine backup might not work using an AirPort connection.

Xsan fixes and improvements provided for:

the reliability of Fibre channel connections to an Xserve RAID.

an issue that could cause the size of certain Fibre channel LUNs to be mis-reported.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4014

2. noelgarcia

noelgarcia Member

thanks for the heads up, updating......

3. Provboy

Provboy Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Remember guys, easy on the "updating" remarks. It's considered post-padding. Good luck on your updates!

4. skinhead

skinhead Active Member

#4 skinhead, Mar 30, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  5. enrique1784

enrique1784 Member

Currently downloading... It's quite huge @ 757.3 MB... Hope this fixes my airport intermittent disconnection... :(

6. mindless

mindless Member

Done updating. Right out of the bat expose and spaces transitions are significantly smoother now.

7. mannyespejo

mannyespejo Active Member

how come it didn't show up when I run the software update just now?

8. triballistic

triballistic Member

I'm wondering if it fixes the color calibration at the account login screen (only shifts to your custom color profile when you've logged into your user account, login screen color profile stays at default).

9. Provboy

Provboy Well-Known Member
    Supporter

That's really good to hear! I've been waiting for Apple to fix the transitions since 10.6.1

10. motoflux

motoflux Lemon Pepper Fan

Thanks for the heads up. I Will download it sometime.. :) Thanks

11. jayar04

jayar04 Active Member

already installed 10.6.3.. what do you mean by combo update? :) hihi.. sorry, new to the term

12. pinoydl

pinoydl Member

Standalone Updates enable you to apply updates to Mac OS X in lieu of using Software Update. They are downloaded to your Mac and installed by mounting the associated disk image and launching the Installer package therein.
    Mac OS X v10.6.3 Update (Combo)

13. jayar04

jayar04 Active Member

OOoohhh.. now i get it.. hehe.. usually software updates lang ako.. :p pero it's kinda slow lang

14. bad_boy

bad_boy Watching Your Language
    Staff Member Supporter

pinoydl: Standalone updates just allow you to download without using the built-in program. These are offered for incremental and combo updates.

jayar04: Combo updates merge the latest and all previous update/s.

If you have a fresh install of Snow Leopard, for example, you can't install 10.6.3 without installing the earlier updates as well. A combo update allows you to update everything with one (usually big) download.

15. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

How big is the file size for you guys? My Macbook, our office Mac Minis and 20 inch iMacs update size was 438 mb but my quad core iMac got a larger 794 mb update. All of them from 10.6.2.

PS. My friend who has a Mac Pro told me that he also got the larger 794 mb update.

16. essay

essay Active Member

What am I missing?

The file does not appear when I click software update?

And my iMac is still on 10.6.2.

17. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

18. glennp00

glennp00 Member

mine is also 794mb via software update using 13" macbook pro

19. shaft

shaft Well-Known Member

hmmm mine is only 548mb and that includes aperture update

20. cyberathlete

cyberathlete PhilMUG Addict Member

to those who are already on 10.6.3 : any new bugs? improvements? maybe on battery life?