Globe Telecom to launch 5G Q2 2019

Discussion in 'Globe Telecom' started by AVG, Jun 8, 2018.

1. wingatu

wingatu Active Member

Globe and Smart won't reveal it cause they still don't have the required NTC permits/licenses to operate at those frequencies yet. One violation may cause them to loose everything and the next thing you know DITO already have it all. If I own a telco, I wouldn't really deploy 6Ghz, 9Ghz and mmWave 5G(24Ghz-100Ghz) network to be use by the public and will probably use it only as wireless back haul with 5G tech to squeeze more speed from those frequencies. Smart Bro wireless once used 5Ghz and it didn't go well what more on higher frequencies like 24Ghz. I think n78 3.5Ghz is more practical to use to deploy 5G.

Shinahashirome likes this.
  2. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

Somebody asked the same question through the Freedom of Information website here: https://www.foi.gov.ph/requests/aglzfmVmb2ktcGhyHQsSB0NvbnRlbnQiEE5UQy04NDc3MDc2NTA2MTYM

You'll be able to see the PDF as an attachment at the bottom of the last response. Granted, the response is already more than a year old but here's the pertinent info contained in that letter anyway:

I have yet to find similar information about what Globe is using.

EDIT: However, if the only 5G mobile handset they're selling, the Huawei Mate 30 Pro 5G, can give us any hint, they will likely support some or most of the following 5G bands, all of which are Sub6:

1, 3, 28, 38, 41, 77, 78, 79 NSA/Sub6

Here's something new I learned. The specific 5G standard, at least for the foreseeable future, will be 5G NR FR1 NSA

5G NR = 5G New Radio (as opposed to the 5G pre-standard)
    FR1 = Frequency Range 1 or "Sub6" (as opposed to FR2, mmWave)
    NSA = Non-standalone - In a nutshell, this standard will still use LTE for the control plane while the data payload use the 5G standard

This is an overly simplistic explanation but should suffice.

#82 oj88, Aug 3, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    wingatu, neilrg, AVG and 1 other person like this.
  3. neilrg

neilrg PhilMUG Addict Member

I think that's false. They cannot and will not utilize airwaves without a license/permit, you are right. The only reason I can think of why they do not publicize the frequency bands they are using (at least not often, I remember them mentioning their 2.6GHz spectrum holdings in some PR before) is that they think the public doesn't need to know. They also did not state which frequency bands they were using for LTE during its early days in the Philippines and some people just found out on their own before become widely known.

Based on some posts online, it looks like Globe is utilizing n38/n41 (2.6GHz) and n78 (3.5GHz) while Smart is using n40 (2.3GHz) and n78 for 5G.

4. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Based on existing 5G rollouts, I prefer mixed deployment due to the nature of our bureaucracy.

mmWave for NCR (high density) - This is definitely worth it with Manila's population density. This will help take the load off 4G for sure. It'd be another node inside a mall or a private mixed-use estate = less red tape.
    mid-band for suburban/rural - Same reach as LTE but at 25% faster. Extra signal source for our phones to choose from. Either they convert an existing 4G LTE frequency to use 5G or buy the rights to use new oenes from NTC.
    Low-band - After decommissioning of analog TV broadcast, the frequency can be auctioned out and deployed in the middle of nowhere. Less ideal for our use case since we are a small country.

Our telcos have a history of re-purposing frequencies they have or acquired. Most notably, Smart's acquisition of SUN increased some of their frequency's bandwidth allocation for a specific frequency.

SMC's 700Mhz was also quickly put to use when Globe and PLDT bought San Miguel out.

AVG and Shinahashirome like this.
  5. oj88

I found an article about Globe's purchase of the WTM 4800 E-Band and Multi-band radio platforms here:

The E-Band is 80GHz while the Multi-Band model is configurable to operate between 6-42 GHz.
    Repurposing frequencies aren't new. RF is a finite resource and requires elaborate signalling/coding algorithms to pack as much information into a sliver of RF spectrum to optimize channel usage.

The same thing has been going on with broadcast TV, moving from NTSC to ISDB-T.

For now, 5G will be non-standalone and requires LTE (5G NR NSA). If everything pans out, 5G will be transitioned to standalone (SA) and share spectrum frequencies with 4G (DSS).

[​IMG]

1. Legacy 4G LTE network operating in existing low and mid bands.

2. 5G NSA is overlaid using mid band (e.g., 3.5 GHz) or high band (e.g., mmWave) with dual connectivity. The utilization of a 4G core network and radio control in 5G NSA facilitates rapid deployment, while Dual Connectivity aggregates 4G and 5G to support faster and consistent connectivity.

3. Dynamic Spectrum Sharing is deployed in existing low and mid 4G bands, enabling simultaneous operation of 5G and 4G in these bands as well as the introduction of 5G SA, along with related services (5G QoS, 5G security, slicing). Carrier aggregation can also help by enabling even faster data speeds and expanding high/mid band 5G coverage by moving all uplink to low band; 4G and 5G NSA devices using dual connectivity continue to be supported.

Source: https://www.qualcomm.com/news/onq/2...rive-fast-and-smooth-transition-5g-standalone

Shinahashirome and wingatu like this.
  6. rdy0329

They really need to think their approach, don't they. Inefficient bands (esp 2G) is on the cutting board now (R.I.P Credit Card POS on GPRS).

They also need to consider adoption rate to pace their rollout. 4G LTE only caught on 2-3 years after introduction. 5G seems to be slower as telcos are not in a rush to spend for equipments only a few phones can utilize.

One thing they're doing right is deploying nationwide fiber-optic backbone in the recent years in anticipation of 5G. I wouldn't be surprised if every PLDT fiber boxes has a reserved slot for 5G related deployment.

#86 rdy0329, Aug 4, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  7. Adarna

Adarna PhilMUG Addict Member

Credit Card POS on GPRS should be retired for a smartphone-based system like those from Square or the Apple iPhone's NFC.

Why do I want this to happen? Because I want a more secure credit card machine that does not use technology from year 2000

#87 Adarna, Aug 4, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  8. oj88

It's not just a "Globe" problem, rather a global one. I have no doubt in my mind that this is going to be a very gradual transition. The same can be said when 4G/LTE entered the scene. The CBDs and densely populated high-end commercial, business and residential areas will undoubtedly get first dibs.

As more and more people adopt 4G/5G, the telcos will start strategically shutting down 2G/3G cell sites as they deem fit (based on actual utilization). They'll likely keep some up and running for a longer time to support the stragglers.

9. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

[​IMG]

raypin likes this.
  10. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Ot: 5G experience in the US about a year after rollout:

https://fortune.com/2020/03/11/5g-network-speeds-rootmetrics/

Disappointing and it will take a lot more time before 5G reaches its full Potential. Here? Even longer. So unless you are literally a few feet from an antenna, 5G is still very much a promise. Of course, nothing is going to stop me from buying the 5G iPhone this year.

jetan likes this.
  11. jetan

[​IMG]

5G test at BGC High Street. i used a 5gb data allowance for prepaid. tested 8x only and the 5GB allowance is gone.

Provboy, rdy0329 and MharDelaCruz like this.
  12. waks13

waks13 Active Member

Anyone, can our existing LTE sim card access the 5G data or do we need to get a new 5G sim card ?

13. rdy0329

Yes. The new sims are 90% Marketing and 10% extra nudge for those who still have pre-LTE sim cards. Provisioning will still be done via backend.

waks13 likes this.
  14. jetan

as long as your sim is LTE already it's good to go.

waks13 likes this.